When to hand notice in?

Hi,
I've been offered a new job and have recently completed a dbs check ( currently on the stage before printing off the certificate) I've had one before and no changes so there shouldn't be any problems on that front. The new employer is also waiting for references ( I'm not sure what the status is on these).

My current employer requires 4 weeks notice but I'm desperate to start this new job ASAP as it's much better hours and money and to be honest I'm currently skint.
Is it too much of a gamble to hand my notice in now? Or would I be better off waiting for them to contact me first?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Personally I’d hang fire. My last set of references and dbs took four months.

It was a crappy waiting game but the changes to the dbs system have apparently made things quicker.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You say your completely skint, why is that. Consider looking at your spending.
  • Kohl
    Kohl Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Presumably your new job knows about your 4 week notice period?
    I wouldn't be handing my notice in until they confirmed everything had come back okay and had asked me for a start date. If you do it too soon you risk finding yourself without any income after 4 weeks.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Irrespective of the fact that you're skint it would be a bad move to hand your notice in until you have written confirmation of the new job offer and a definite start date. If you're skint whilst you have a job you would be a lot more skint if you handed in your notice and the new job fell through.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Absolutely don't hand your notice in until you have confirmed offer with new employer and agreed start date.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family