Chromecast seems to have broken my monitor

Options

Comments

• deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    miniemma wrote: »
    Did you plug the Chromecast in whilst the monitor and/or Chromecast were powered on?

I'm sure I've read that HDMI is not always hot swappable and damage can be caused if devices are plugged in whilst switched on.

HDMI is absolutely hot-swappable.
  • Rickb110
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    So BenQ have looked at your monitor?

The Chromecast plugs directly into the HDMI, the PC and PS4 require a cable. Have you tried a different cable?

They requested pictures of the port, they haven't had it in person.

Yes, I have also tried those cables on other devices and they work fine - also they previously worked fine.
  • Rickb110
    Options
    You could try posting on the Techie Stuff board for advice in the problem.

I am not really looking for tech advice, I have been at this for 3 months with two different tech support departments - whilst I am happy to hear any ideas people have I can't imagine anyone suggesting anything I haven't tried at this stage.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    Have you tried using a HDMI Male-Female adapter to connect your Chromecast (to the monitor) to see if the picture still works then (this is in case there is something particular about the Chromecast's HDMI connector that is allowing it to function whereas other (standard) connectors are failing in some way due to port damage on the monitor)?
  • deaston
    edited 10 October 2017 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »
    I am not really looking for tech advice

I'm afraid you are - this isn't a consumer rights issue.

If you're so confident the problem is the monitor, I'd buy another one and then take it up again with BenQ when the new monitor works in the way your current one doesn't.
  • deaston
    Options
    Looking on Amazon, there are a few questions about inputs - is it possible you're having similar problems? Maybe the Chromecast auto-switches the monitor (and therefore works) but other inputs need to be selected manually?

"I can use the VGA port, but when I try to use the hdmi port, the message on screen shows "no cable". Anyone else had/fixed this problem???"

"I bought this monitor and try to connect it to my PC using an HDMI cable but get the message "no signal" before the screen goes black. Why?"

"Just bought this today and after plugging in the power cable , my hdmi cable and the dvi cable provided the monitor is displaying no signal?"

"I bought this monitor and connected the HDMI cable but it said 'no signal'. I then went into d-sub and tried to connect it on the menu but nothing"

Answer: Hi, you need to connect a device to the dvi or vga input then go into menu and turn on HDMI Auto Select.
  • Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    Looking on Amazon, there are a few questions about inputs - is it possible you're having similar problems? Maybe the Chromecast auto-switches the monitor (and therefore works) but other inputs need to be selected manually?

"I can use the VGA port, but when I try to use the hdmi port, the message on screen shows "no cable". Anyone else had/fixed this problem???"

"I bought this monitor and try to connect it to my PC using an HDMI cable but get the message "no signal" before the screen goes black. Why?"

"Just bought this today and after plugging in the power cable , my hdmi cable and the dvi cable provided the monitor is displaying no signal?"

"I bought this monitor and connected the HDMI cable but it said 'no signal'. I then went into d-sub and tried to connect it on the menu but nothing"

Answer: Hi, you need to connect a device to the dvi or vga input then go into menu and turn on HDMI Auto Select.

Nope already checked this and had it working for a year before. Again I have been on support for 3 months and yes I have looked up the problem online before.

And it is a consumer rights issue as either the monitor has failed miraculously at the exact same time that I plugged in the chromecast or the chromecast has somehow damaged the port on the monitor.
  • Rickb110
    Rickb110 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried using a HDMI Male-Female adapter to connect your Chromecast (to the monitor) to see if the picture still works then (this is in case there is something particular about the Chromecast's HDMI connector that is allowing it to function whereas other (standard) connectors are failing in some way due to port damage on the monitor)?

I don't have a HDMI Male-Female adapter unfortunately, going to see if I can dig one out of our spares at work today
  • deaston
    Options
    Rickb110 wrote: »

And it is a consumer rights issue as either the monitor has failed miraculously at the exact same time that I plugged in the chromecast or the chromecast has somehow damaged the port on the monitor.

Well as the latter is impossible, it clearly must be the former. So there's your answer - you need to take it up with BenQ. Good luck.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aren't you just confusing the situation by bringing up the chrome cast (irrelevant whether or not it broke your monitor)

The facts (if I have read this right) are, you have a monitor under warranty that is not showing HDMI sources. It's broken. Hence return under warranty. Tell them it was working fine and now you cannot get HDMI to play you have tried multiple sources and leads. Don't mention anything about the chromecast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure