What small moneysaving things will you do this week? W/C 4 December

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Money Savers,
    Longish list today before going out to a meeting tonight. Money saving bits of list as follows:
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *Feed sourdough jar for baking loaf tomorrow.
    *Make pastry & use to make cheesy rolls for Christmas nibbles (only making a half portion as I can no longer eat pastry). Unbelievably, the white pastry fat that has been in the back of the fridge since Easter is still in date so this will also be a good 'Use it up'. Freeze when made.
    *Free bit of exercise having brisk walk to post box to post our Christmas cards.
    *Grimsby Fishman delivering our order today. Have already paid. Will divide into meal size portions/fillets & freeze for many meals ahead.
    *Zizz up loaf into crumbs & freeze for Christmas stuffing.
    *Make bread sauce & freeze.
    *Couple of surveys.
    *Enter prize draw.
    *Move stuff round on heated airer to get the drying finished so can switch it off.
    *Small Avon order as spotted that my foundation is currently less than half price.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    That will be it. Best wishes to all. Remember it can't jump out of your purse on its own. It has to be helped by you, so don't offer it any assistance!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Now you're just showing off, aren't you? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mwahahahahaha! Lay down and let me trample on you, for I AM THE WINNER!!!
    Pauper1 wrote: »

I'm very jealous of your two freezers. Very.

Don't be it's not as glamorous as it sounds :rotfl: Having 2 can work out really well for grabbing ys items particularly meat. But it does every so often get to the point where both are full of bits and bobs frozen rather than perishing and fruit/veg and there's still NOTHING to eat....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pauper1 wrote: »
    • [STRIKE]submit meter read[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]collect parcel from post office before it gets sent back![/STRIKE] - done and DS walked all the way there and a bit of the way back, so I'm crossing my fingers for a long nap! Haha
    • [STRIKE]wash hair[/STRIKE]- done and dried naturally. I'm a bit of a curly so it's unusual for me to straighten it these days anyway.
    • at least first draft of final report for assignment
    • [STRIKE]put a nappy wash on[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]turn heating down once we're dressed[/STRIKE] - done, so now we're snuggling under a blanket, hoping for that nap!
    • [STRIKE]have a NSD[/STRIKE] - left the house and didn't spend any money and I'll be doing my assignment this afternoon so hopefully no chance to spend, so I'm counting it already!

Also did a teeny tiny PA survey. Will do some swag$s ones when DS falls asleep.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Afternoon all!

I fell asleep yesterday evening for a couple of hours then couldn't get asleep again until the wee small hours so another late start for me.

Today's plans:

Have a last attempt to get the washing machine working, if not

Ring up and change my order to a washer/dryer. I don't like them but at the moment I just have a freestanding one in the way of the back door. I have been promising myself that 'one day' I will have one end of the kitchen refitted to incorporate one but, if I get a washer/dryer I won't ever need to do it. This will also free up a bit of an alcove where I can put a rail and/or hooks on the wall above a radiator to dry stuff so I won't need to use the dryer option so much.

I need printer inks so I am going to visit another local shopping centre to do some job spotting to help pay for them. I will park in the Sainsbugs car park on the edge of town and walk in to save on parking.

I will take some YS lamb mince out of the freezer to defrost for shepherd's pie tonight.

I have 12 eBay items ending today, bids on two already, fingers crossed X
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • princess_pea
    Options
    Hi everyone, it’s ages since I’ve posted!

Good luck Arc and welcome Pauper

CLF we’re desperately trying to eat the contents of our freezer as we hope very soon to be buying a house! Well, 35% of one, which by our reckoning is the downstairs loo and back garden! It’s a shared ownership 2 bed semi. Despite it being a bit scary (all in my name due to hubby’s bankruptcy) and frustrating at times (everything happening very slowly) I can’t wait to move and escape our nightmare neighbour!! Just hope we get nice neighbours this time. We might be moving just before Christmas if all goes well.

I’ve rewritten the budget to make sure every penny is accounted for going forward. Need to persuade hubby that £20 a month white goods cover isn’t worth it (would rather save the £20 per month). Miraculously I’ve managed to stick to a tight December food budget so far. Work are lending a load of boxes for the move which should help keep costs down. Our flat is a tip at the minute as we’ve started packing, and we haven’t got the Christmas tree up this year (so I’ll put one here :xmastree:)

I’ve got all the paperwork from the solicitors to sign tonight and return so we can exchange. It is incredibly scary, so we hope to build up a decent emergency fund should anything go wrong in future. Can’t help being excited though as we’ll be able to get on with our lives now. I’d never have dreamed of being in this position when I joined this forum with £10k of unsecured debt and nothing to show for it. Thanks guys for all your moral support and reminding us the small DFW things really do add up! :j

P.S. NSD today for me :money:
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Mortgage Free January 2048 June 2032
    Long-Term Savings Pot £8750
    DS welcomed 12/2/20 <3
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Hi everyone, it’s ages since I’ve posted!

Good luck Arc and welcome Pauper

CLF we’re desperately trying to eat the contents of our freezer as we hope very soon to be buying a house! Well, 35% of one, which by our reckoning is the downstairs loo and back garden! It’s a shared ownership 2 bed semi. Despite it being a bit scary (all in my name due to hubby’s bankruptcy) and frustrating at times (everything happening very slowly) I can’t wait to move and escape our nightmare neighbour!! Just hope we get nice neighbours this time. We might be moving just before Christmas if all goes well.

I’ve rewritten the budget to make sure every penny is accounted for going forward. Need to persuade hubby that £20 a month white goods cover isn’t worth it (would rather save the £20 per month). Miraculously I’ve managed to stick to a tight December food budget so far. Work are lending a load of boxes for the move which should help keep costs down. Our flat is a tip at the minute as we’ve started packing, and we haven’t got the Christmas tree up this year (so I’ll put one here :xmastree:)

I’ve got all the paperwork from the solicitors to sign tonight and return so we can exchange. It is incredibly scary, so we hope to build up a decent emergency fund should anything go wrong in future. Can’t help being excited though as we’ll be able to get on with our lives now. I’d never have dreamed of being in this position when I joined this forum with £10k of unsecured debt and nothing to show for it. Thanks guys for all your moral support and reminding us the small DFW things really do add up! :j

P.S. NSD today for me :money:

congratulations princess_pea! It must be great to see how far you've come! :)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Congratulations, princess_pea, how exciting!

Four of my eBay items sold, three at the £5 starting price and one for £12.

I managed to get 17 job ads today, I'm still waiting for them all to be verified to find out how much they've earned me. I was going to stop in two smaller towns on my way back but it started racing and was beginning to get dark so maybe another day.

I'm all of a quandary with what to do re the washing machine, I'm thinking now I could stick with the one I've ordered and move the tumble drier to under my desk for emergencies (it's only a small one) and rig up a rail in the alcove above the radiator to dry stuff on (which hopefully won't take too long with a 1600 spin speed.) The thing is though that this is my once in a lifetime(hopefully!) opportunity to replace with a washer/dryer and then my kitchen will look so much better and not need reconfiguring. Except the only washer/dryer with good reviews is nearly twice as much as the washing machine alone and I've used one before in a rental property and it was rubbish, nothing ever seemed to get properly dry and the cycles are really long.

What's the sensible thing to do?
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations Princess Pea, how exciting :j:j
    FVD I must confess I have never had a washer drier, or a drier, come to that. But they are bound to be better now than when you lived in rented accommodation (I assume quite a long time ago, as you moved a while back from a house you also owned?). I would check Which in the library, look online for reviews etc before you make your mind up. My instinct would be to get the washer drier, if the reviews etc are ok, as it sounds as though that is your preference for the configuration of your space? And you could presumably sell the separate tumble drier to recoup some of the extra money?

Well, you won't believe this, but I have had to put some chicken stock INTO the freezer today :eek::o If I get something out, I seem to have to put at least one thing back in :(
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning :) quick one for me as work today :(

* take lunch & snacks
    * make note of mileage
    * use dry shampoo rather than washing ;)
    * hang up washing & put in another load
    * bake banana bread & cake & olive bread this evening
    * soup for tea
    * knitting tonight - on to heel flap :)
    * early night

Gosh that's all I can think of! But sure there will be lots of little bits along the way!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello: sorry for being awol... RL still busy if a bit calmer and trying not to spend loads of time on line. Few things:

DD packed lunch
    Got some ys items for freeze yesterday ;) operation use up going south. As soon as I knew DNMS had won I’ve just gone all out :rotfl:
    Although, I will get something out for tea ;)
    Snacks to work
    Radiator shuffle when roads are on
    Friend collecting smalls from school saving after school fees
    Send an email cancelling after school club from January, moving to a CM, saving loads.
    Gave some gifts to my mum that need posting, she will put with hers
    Wrote cards, using last years stash
    Wrapped about half my presents still on last years stash of paper
    Did treat myself to another wrapping paper store, my (7 year old one) broke last week. I find keeping everything together and upright saves emergency buys and damage in the long run (plus new one is prettier than the last :o)

Right must dash off to drop smalls and School and then go to a meeting, taking hot drink for commute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure