What is Category D repaired - used car

Comments

• hi there
    i bought a car privately, i didn't do a hpi check (very stupid i know), i asked the seller if the car had ever been in an accident, he said no, but i have found out that this car was a cat d, do i have any sort of rights regarding returning this vehicle or do i have to just lump it and put it down to experience??
    Thanks in advance
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2009 at 4:51PM
    steveburf wrote: »
    In the past i have purchased several category d insurance loss vehicles.
    My last car (a porsche) was a cat d. My current car (seat leon fr) is a cat d. I have been very happy with the prices i have paid for these vehicles as i would not have been able to afford them normally.
    I now have a website that has cat d cars for sale.
    xxxxxxxxx.co.uk
    Rgds Steve B

But you aren't allowed to advertise it here so I've reported your post. Sorry.
  • Hi,

I've seen a used car on Autotrader at what seems like a really good price but it is described as having been "repaired" and the repair being a "category D" repair.

I've never heard of this before - please could anyone give me a quick low down on what to look out for or is this too risky a venture for someone who is not a car expect?

Many thanks.
    Regards,
    I had same problem myself and after research discovered cat d is insurance write off which can be costly to insure and some insurance companies wont insure. You can save a couple of grand but will have trouble selling it though. If in doubt leave it alone or have it inspected by A.A OR R.A.C first. I recently looked at cat d BMW on autotrader but was another £330 extra to insure. CAT D INSURANCE WRITE OFF BUT REPAIRABLE. CHEAPER TO WRITE OFF THEN HAVE IT REPAIRED DUE TO CAR HIRE AND REPAIRS / STORAGE FEES ETC
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP 4 years old.........
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Age doesn't matter for Cat-D purposes.

In April 2006 I purchased a 5 month old Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel Multijet (the MOST sought after Panda), which had only done 1,280 miles from New.
    New Cost = £7,790
    My Cost = £3,800

The Damage = 1 x Front Alloy Wheel & Tyre was destroyed (kerbed) PLUS 1 x Driver's Airbag had deployed PLUS 1 x SMALL & LIGHT scratch on front underskirt/valance.

The Accident = Spoke to original purchaser, & found out that he'd bought it for his daughter as a 17th birthday pressie, and just Two Weeks later she had panicked and driven into a Highish Kerb at about 20-25mph.
    ... The daughter was then too terrified to drive again, & the dad got a full payout under his "New-For-Old" Policy (Hence the reason it was "Categorised" as "D=Beyong Economic Repair"), and the car had sat in the main dealers for 4.5 months.

Repair Cost = £50 for identical wheel & tyre from a scrapyard PLUS £120 for airbag replacement from a dealer PLUS £3 for a can of T-Cut to remove the scratch.

Total Cost = £3973 for an "as new" car costing nearly £8000

Result = Me & Son HAPPY ... And STILL using the car everyday.

BUT ... Make sure you are completely HAPPY with the car before purchase !!

:beer:

My oxymoron-ometer just exploded!
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    RexBanner wrote: »
    My oxymoron-ometer just exploded!

As did the "drag up an old thread which had died" - Ometer.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Cat D isn't really much to worry about. Cat C you could raise your eye brows and ask the previous owner some questions.

I've had both. Cat D when some prat put a small dent in a front wing (cut us up and slammed on the brakes). It was literally a small dent and thats it. Cat C when I ran into a car on ice. The opponent was fine mine needed the front end to be rebuilt hence the insurers wrote it off as a Cat C. I rebuilt it and it was fine (new MOT to keep the insurers happy and a VIC check to be sure it was the car it claims it is).

I'd not even blink at a Cat D car if i bought it, Cat C I'd be cautious about as you've no way of knowing how well it was repaired. Cat D I'd just be grateful for a cheap car and wouldn't give it a second thought.
  • Have had my Ford Fiesta written off as uneconomic to repair.

The car is in good condition for age and is still driveable just cosmetic damage. Has a full MOT but guess this will have to be redone.

My question is is it worth me asking the insurer to keep the car what are my legal requirements to use the car again and likely costs?

Thanks

boomerangguy
  • What category of write off is it? C or D
  • I will find out and let you know.

Is there a big difference between Category D and C in terms of cost to put back on the road?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport