D.L.A LIFE AWARDS help needed

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi just had my mum on the phone worried as my sister gets a life DLA award which my mum had to go to court to get fw years ago, she's worried about how these changes will affect my sister
    as she is severely disabled will she still have to go through the new dla medical? her condition has also got worse since she claimed? as she has a life award and they told my mum my sister will never have to have another medical ever again
    has this now changed?

if anyone that has a DLA award for life do they now any more about it?

Also are these changes going to happen straight away or 2013?

thank you.

Like many others - I received an indefinite award (medium rate care) DLA, 2 years ago and this means absolutely nothing
    Just a way of placating us ?
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2010 at 6:08PM
    Hi just had my mum on the phone worried as my sister gets a life DLA award which my mum had to go to court to get fw years ago, she's worried about how these changes will affect my sister
    as she is severely disabled will she still have to go through the new dla medical? her condition has also got worse since she claimed? as she has a life award and they told my mum my sister will never have to have another medical ever again
    has this now changed?

if anyone that has a DLA award for life do they now any more about it?

Also are these changes going to happen straight away or 2013?

thank you.

Try not to worry their would have to be very good reason to overturn a indefinate award.
    The origional doctors notes will still carry some clout in the event of any disbute in the future.

PS It would be a good idea to get a copy of the DLA doctors report for your own records,I got a copy of mine and i have always encosed a copy with any IB/ESA claims.
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • nogginthenog
    nogginthenog Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2010 at 6:40PM
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    Like many others - I received an indefinite award (medium rate care) DLA, 2 years ago and this means absolutely nothing
    Just a way of placating us ?

It does mean something,It means the original doctor does/did not think your condition is likely to improve.
    Child of a Fighting Race.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not unless in the particular case I was talking about the drug is able to grow a new spinal cord which is why the assessment ended in a lifetime award.
    There will be a lot of people with these awards who have problems that are not treatable or have no chance of improving by any means.
    That is why they were given lifetime awards.
    Is re-assessing them going to make them suddenly well.

She is in the same boat as me and other "lifers", my spinal injuries wont just mend themselves, you are insulting other people with formally life time awards by suggesting that your friend is a special case, do you think that other peoples lifetime/indefinate awards came out of lucky bags?
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    sunnyone wrote: »
    She is in the same boat as me and other "lifers", my spinal injuries wont just mend themselves, you are insulting other people with formally life time awards by suggesting that your friend is a special case, do you think that other peoples lifetime/indefinate awards came out of lucky bags?

Sunnyone,I was meaning no such thing.I did'nt say my friend was a special case just that she was'nt going to find a cure and would never improve and that was why she had been given a lifetime award.
    There must be lots of people in the same boat and that is why they were awarded life/indefinate awards.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    PS It would be a good idea to get a copy of the DLA doctors report for your own records,I got a copy of mine and i have always encosed a copy with any IB/ESA claims.

:j:j 2nd'd, but I did it the opposite way round, ie, got a full report from IB and sent a copy with the DLA claim, also 2 independant reports one to allow my to take my pension early, and the other by a senior orthopedic surgeon (the other sides choice) as evidence in an accident claim.

As said earlier the differences between the actual answers I gave in the interview/medical were staggering even more so as it went in my favour.

These atos personnel do seem to be at the bottom of their game ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • southantrim3
    southantrim3 Posts: 835
    First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    There are no such things as lifetime awards anymore. Even those that had been awarded lifetime awards several years ago can now be subject to review. These awards are now only Indefinate awards and can be subject to review at any time.

As for the EMP reports (medicals,) they will be coming in during 2013 and may be across all cases. Certainly starting with Fresh Claims and Renewals and eventualy Indefinate awards.

Hope this helps.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    There are no such things as lifetime awards anymore. Even those that had been awarded lifetime awards several years ago can now be subject to review. These awards are now only Indefinate awards and can be subject to review at any time.

As for the EMP reports (medicals,) they will be coming in during 2013 and may be across all cases. Certainly starting with Fresh Claims and Renewals and eventualy Indefinate awards.

Hope this helps.

Ok no objection but;

How can you say that?

What do you know?

Are you guessing?

Or simply !!!!!!!!ing??:T

I'm sure you understand ??;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • southantrim3
    southantrim3 Posts: 835
    First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Ok no objection but;

How can you say that?

What do you know?

Are you guessing?

Or simply !!!!!!!!ing??:T

I'm sure you understand ??;)

Special inside information :cool:
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Special inside information :cool:

Ahh ... in the cabinet! :rotfl: