PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Help me out here.

According to him, charity shops are there for people in need, not me. So I should not be buying from them. I’ve never thought of it like this before. Does he have a point?

Not a logical argument at all I'm afraid. Yes, you help the needy by donating but you're also helping the charity by buying the clothes or books or whatever.

I think there's a two fold misunderstanding too. One that there isn't enough to go around so you should leave all the goods for the needy. There's more than enough to go around and many things that the needy wouldn't buy plus there are other issues like recycling etc. to add into the equation. Second there's the idea that stuff in the CS is scruffy and dirty (but that's somehow OK for the needy?:o). Personally I do check if things are washable but then I mostly do that with new clothes anyway.
  • its funny, people's attitude towards them. I know several people who will buy from Fleabay but don't understand that it's just like the charity shop. It's all been owned by someone else.
    I think, keep that attitude and more bargains for all of us and more pennies in our pockets in the process :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    VfM - I wonder if your Dad's attitudes may stem from the time that second hand clothes used to come from a dealer who bought them when clearing the houses of the deceased? I remember there being second hand clothing shops that were quite seedy places when I was little. Nothing like the bright places that the charity shops are now ( or as big business!)
    Floss is right - those of us that can donate do and many of us are happy to purchase too as many of the donations are unworn or unwanted. Helps the environment, our purses and the charity - wins all round
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Well, been in 12 charity shops and bought...... absolutely nothing. :(

Enjoyed the :beer: though.
    And will enjoy the takeaway (whatever it will be).
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) A pal manages a Red X chazzer and they will GIVE things to those in need, should they ask for them.

I buy abiut 90% of my non-food shopping from charity shops. I know this because I keep (and have done for the past 19 years) personal accounts in the back of my diary. Alongside chazzer purchases are the letters 'cs' and it is a constant run of 'cs' interspersed with the odd thing like a bus fare or a (f)utility bill.

I shop there, and I also donate there, am registered for gift aid with three national chains who have shops nearby. No shortage of good places to give things away, imo.

My parents are in their mid-seventies and when their wartime-born generation were setting up home, there was nothing like the amount of manufactured goods around that there is now. Mum has remarked; there wasn't much secondhand stuff around and what there was, was absolute rubbish.

She's spoken yearningly of how much easier their lives as young parens would have been if a huge bootsale site, going since the 1980s, had been running near to their home in the 1960s-1970s.

So, it may be that some older people, who haven't enjoyed the wonders of charity shop shopping, think that they're just stationary jumble sales full of unsanitary tatt.

:o:p Mind you, I've met some extremely poshly-vowelled ladies in the scrummage at village jumblies and even walked out with lead crystal decanters at 20p each.

I guess it's a bit hyacinth bucket to care where your clothes were purchased (said by a woman who bought everything she's presently wearing secondhand - the knicks were in an unopened multipack of m & s).

Ooops, tell a lie, the socks were a cast-off pair of my mothers, everything but the knicks and the socks I bought at the Everything 50p Chazzer; next trews and next wool sweater and icebreaker merino wool crew top. I reckon full retail for what I'm wearing right now wouldn't be much change from £200, the icebreaker top sells at £80-£90 new.

:beer: Winning!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    That is very true GreyQueen, our parents were of the "make do and mend" mindset, and literally kept things until they fell apart. I remember when I first met my now OH, 43 years ago, his parents' kitchen was equipped with chipped and cracked plates and mugs, even though they had plenty of money by then. So there wasn't much that could have been donated to charity while it was still useable.

I used to laugh with my mum as even in her very old age she would decide a petticoat or blouse that she'd had for decades was finally worn out, and would say "I'm going to give this away". When asked who might want it she would crease up with giggles and realise what she had said!

I am old enough to remember when charity shops were awful places, smelly and full of nothing but rubbish. And unwanted "A present from Blackpool" ash trays!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    silvasava wrote: »
    VfM - I wonder if your Dad's attitudes may stem from the time that second hand clothes used to come from a dealer who bought them when clearing the houses of the deceased? I remember there being second hand clothing shops that were quite seedy places when I was little.
    Same here. We never discussed this in my childhood, but my mum was never happy about me joining my best friend at charity shops. (Tbf, my first purchases as an 8 yo were pretty dreadful). He also has a big problem with YS in my fridge, although he does eat my goodies :) . I don’t understand why he thinks it’s shameful.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,892 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)

I buy abiut 90% of my non-food shopping from charity shops. I know this because I keep (and have done for the past 19 years) personal accounts in the back of my diary. Alongside chazzer purchases are the letters 'cs' and it is a constant run of 'cs' interspersed with the odd thing like a bus fare or a (f)utility bill.

Gosh, I am so impressed! Wish I was so organised. :T
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 December 2017 at 10:01AM
    In my haste to post yesterday, I forgot to mention my actual purchases :o. A small stainless steel key and letter stand for £1, and a perfume bottle similar to this one, but more ornate and in pinks and purple for just 50p (£6.69 from China on eBay).

s-l225.jpg

And of course books (just 2 on this occasion).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Floss wrote: »
    My view is that the people in need are helped by those who spend in the chazzers, which need the stock donated by those who have thought rather than just binned stuff into landfill.

So you ARE helping by donating to raise funds, by shopping to raise funds and by helping to reduce landfill.

I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.

My two children (14 & 11) both do most of their shopping in CS, they get much more for their money and they love the excitement of not knowing what they will find.

It is my DD's birthday today and she has got 3 preloved tops, a preloved Fjallraven backpack, an expensive bottle of perfume which she loves that I bought on ebay 3/4 full. She got other things new too but these were things she wanted and it means we get more for out budget. She is really happy with everything.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family