Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I heard about it from my parents who got it through Dad's attendance allowance. I think it is a government scheme to do with "eaga" and "Staywarm" there was a lot of publicity in the papers last year. I'll see if I can find the leaflets later and let you know or there may be something on their web sites.
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Aletank wrote:
    I just phoned up, they took my details and said the local installer will be intouch within the next week to arrange a survey.
    I'm not too sure if I will need it as my house is a 5 year old 3 bed detached, it has 100mm of loft insulation already - If they will top that up to 250mm I'd be happy. I'm not sure if my walls would of had some kind of insulation put in when the house was built :confused: We'll see what they say when the survey gets done hey ;)

if your house is only 5 yrs old it should have as a matter of course with new builds have wall insulation.. i had a extension built 10 yrs ago and the regulations then were all new builds have to be insulated..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    mbspuk wrote:
    Hi Carol

I get childrens tax credit too. How do you get free insulation as a result?

This is the link to find out if you're eligible etc. I think under the children's tax credit method you have to have an income less than £14,200

http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants%20available/warm_front.html

Good luck!
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not just for England - this link to the same site shows all areas.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • tonys_3
    tonys_3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Harrow council are doing loft and cavity wall insulation for free at the moment.Are any other councils doing the same thing?
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    jockettuk wrote:
    if your house is only 5 yrs old it should have as a matter of course with new builds have wall insulation.. i had a extension built 10 yrs ago and the regulations then were all new builds have to be insulated..
    The surveror came round yesterday he was confident that my house would have cavity wall insulation as its only 5 years old, Said he'll check the loft though, I already have 100mm of loft insulation, he thinks I should of had more than this but I'm having another 200mm fitted from them.
    When i asked about the cavity wall insulation again he said he'll check the wall with his drill and tester - He was very very surprised when he found out there was nothing in there!!! He said I could chase the builder McDermott & NHBC up if i wanted as it should of been fitted. For the £109 it costs I don't think its worth all the hassle.
    So June 1st I'm having the loft toppped up and cavity wall insulation fittted for £218.
  • carol_a wrote:
    This is the link to find out if you're eligible etc. I think under the children's tax credit method you have to have an income less than £14,200

http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants%20available/warm_front.html

Good luck!

We went to eaga after getting a huge heating bill as my husband receives Attendance Allowance. As a result we are getting loft insulation (including a new trapdoor), cavity wall insulation and draughtproofing. In addition they sent me six energy saving light bulbs. All done in a very short space of time - excellent service.
  • anniew
    anniew Posts: 45 Forumite
    Thanks for the info Sugababesfan - I will get in touch with nPower to see if we qualify.
    As an aside, I've just been to our local poultry market, and egg boxes sell for about £8-10 per 50, so you could make a few quid!!
    Annie
    A party without cake is merely a meeting.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Bristol city council are doing grants for this, not free though. I had a survey done, we have good loft insulation already and because our house was built in the 1920's we have solid walls, therefore no cavity to be filled. Couldnt believe we dont need to shell out any money lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    phoned n power before easter to get a survey and am still waiting for someone to call and give me a quote, has it taken this long for anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure