PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else make their own clothes

Comments

• I bought my machines from https://www.sewingmachinesdirect.co.uk, Russell is extremely helpful and very, very fast on delivery and at good prices. I have a Janome 4618 & 4623 both of which I have been very pleased with. I have to have two machines 'just in case' one breaks down but have not had trouble with either.
    I teach sewing classes and several of my students have also bought machines from Russell and we've all found him to be very helpful. He's not just internet you can call him as well on 0800 092 5212.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    My sewing machine is an old Singer one made in 1956 (model 401G) and I wouldn't DREAM of updating it.

My first one was hand-operated table top with a 'boat shuttle' - 'Jones' one - black with beautiful daisies all over it.

Then my grandfather bought me a 'Jones' basic electric one for my 21st in 1972 - but that was stolen during a break-in in 1975. My mother then gave me her very basic machine that she hadn't used for about 10 years (she got it, made a dress each for my younger sisters then put it away again!).

I started doing sewing orders for people using that one (bridesmaids dresses, holy communion dresses, orange lodge outfits etc.). THEN I did a set of 6 bridesmaides dresses for my nephew's wedding. His mother wanted to pay me but I said it was my present to the happy couple. She then offered to do a 'swap' of HER 'all-performing, zig-zag, embroidery, double-needle machine for my basic one - as she didn't have a cloo what to do with hers and mine was all that she needed! Have to admit to nearly snatching her hand off!!! That's the one I'm using now and it's nearly as old as ME! Then again my original one was older than my great-grandmother!!

401G-Treadle-001256x192.jpg

image borrowed from a 'sewing machine' website - not my own machine shown here but identical!
  • Hi Poppy

The machine is a 'lervia'!?! German made i think, with a 3 year guarantee!

I'm in Scotland so perhaps they are only in the Scottish stores?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    I have a fab bought top and just the piece of material I'd like to make one in.:think:

I have never made a pattern before any tips or ideas? :confused:

........and before you suggest it I am not unpicking it. :naughty:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Rikki if its a fairly basic shape you can lay it out on either brown paper, or any plain paper such as drawer lining paper etc then lay that on something you can stick pins in. Pin the top (like you would with drawing pins) into shape and draw round. You can then construct basic garment just sew up main seams face or bind neck, sleeves and hem. If you want you can use a cheap fabric or charity shop bought item to cut up and make a pattern on that and then adjust to how you like it to fit by just tacking it then pull it apart and make up in good fabric. If its more complicated perhaps you could find a shop bought pattern similar and then alter it how you like it. Vogue, McCalls and Simplicity patterns all have websites and buying from USA is usually half price or less and the postage for a pattern isnt that much.

HTH
  • OOPs forgot to mention add on seam allowances or it will be a bit tight!. For something like this an inch all round is best plenty of room to alter.
  • hi,

I need some advice ...

I have always fancied learning to sew (or at least do alterations) as Im quite short and find trousers difficult to buy. Anyway, I have a pair of jeans in which the zip has bust, im not too overly bothered about them so thought they would be a good little project to work on... if they turn out excellent if not then its a start on learning sewing skills.

I have looked all over the internet for some instructions on replacing a zip, I must have been through every site in the uk and the usa and none of them have instructions on how to do this?

So does anyone know of a site which does offer this or a book which I could get from the library?

Thanks

Jen
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Jen_L wrote: »
    hi,

I need some advice ...

I have always fancied learning to sew (or at least do alterations) as Im quite short and find trousers difficult to buy. Anyway, I have a pair of jeans in which the zip has bust, im not too overly bothered about them so thought they would be a good little project to work on... if they turn out excellent if not then its a start on learning sewing skills.

I have looked all over the internet for some instructions on replacing a zip, I must have been through every site in the uk and the usa and none of them have instructions on how to do this?

So does anyone know of a site which does offer this or a book which I could get from the library?

Thanks

Jen
    To get the old one out:
    Unpick the 'fly shield' (the bit of fabric that covers the zip on the inside of the jeans).
    Unpick a bit of the waistband on either side of the zip so that you can see the top ends of the zip.
    Unpick the overstitching, the bit that makes a sort of J shape on the front of the fly (it will make it easier to attach the new one if you are using a sewing machine. If you are doing by hand, you might be able to skip this step).
    You should now have the whole zip exposed and be able to unpick it.

To put the new one in:
    With the zip closed, pin it in place with the zip running along the edge of the left hand (imagine you are wearing them) edge of the trouser fly (note: you should have one layer under the other so that when it is finished you can't see the zipper on the outside).
    Stitch in place and close up all the seams you opened around the old zip and re-attach the 'fly-shield'.

I hope this helps, its kind of tricky to explain without being able to show you the bits of the zip/fly I mean, but do make sure you tack it in place first and see if it looks right/lines up well.

If you want a book with pictures of how to do it, the readers digest complete book of sewing has diagrams which are sort of easy to follow. Look up "fly-front zip" in the index.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Jen_L wrote: »
    hi,

I need some advice ...

Thanks

Jen

If you visit the Husqvarna sewing room HERE you can follow the link to the zips and it give you a demonstration on each type of zip.
    Its a really useful site.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Thank you!!!

Thats excellent I will have a go at replacing the zip sometime this week, true money saving as I really love my jeans so would have had to buy another pair.

Jen
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure