New Deal Railcard for Jobseekers

2»

Comments

• ian_h
    ian_h Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks MsHoarder - I just wish I could find out if the railcard still exists for using when not attending a formal interview
  • Torialou78
    Torialou78 Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    wish I knew to. It sucks that you are expected to pay full price on no income :-/ not sure how I am supposed to get anywhere. As a non driver I am stuck pretty much solidly in the house. I can get concession at theatres and things but not to travel to local city's or on local bus it's wrong.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can claim for travel to interviews if out of your 'local area' and apply before the interview.

I've had a New Deal Railcard before, ie you are unemployed for 18 months before getting this and is 50% off trains wherever you are going UK wide. That was over a year ago, so not sure if New Deal has been replaced with a new scheme.

In London, after a certain time, can't remember now but kicks in way before the railcard does, is it after 6 months? you can get an Oyster discount, card issued from the JC, you take that to an Oyster point/station and they load the discount onto your Oyster to get 50% off bus tickets.
  • I had a New Deal card for about 3 months this year, and yes I was allowed to use it whenever I wanted within the 3 months which was very useful as it gave me 50% off any travel by train. However that was only whilst I was on a scheme called A4E(Action For Employment), which I had to attend on Mondays to Fridays. I was put in the A4E/New Deal scheme after 6 months on jobseekers. However I've been told the scheme no longer exists and don't think they give the New Deal card out anymore which is a shame. However I will be asking my advisor about it in the new year.
    :happylove
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a look online and can find info for London, seems like now can get the Oyster bus discount after 13 weeks and the replacement New Deal scheme, think it's called something like transport discount scheme, after 6 months.
  • Kirri wrote: »
    I had a look online and can find info for London, seems like now can get the Oyster bus discount after 13 weeks and the replacement New Deal scheme, think it's called something like transport discount scheme, after 6 months.
    you no what ive never been on a forum in my hole life theres a first for every thing but we wont go in to that now this discount job seekers back to work card thing its politics i could call it somthing else but id be telling the truth enyway the only reason why i was trying to find out if it exists is that ive been signing on now for three weeks and boy im bored i only wanted to go to southend
  • swabaxter
    swabaxter Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Card became available in Scotland to eligible
    applicants on 1 April 2012. Earlier this week my
    Jobcentre in East Kilbride had know knowledge of the Scheme
    but after an email into the District Manager I have been issued
    with the card today.
    The applicant needs two passport sized photographs (typically
    £5 for four in photo booth).
    My card has been issued for three months and clearly states
    its for Scotrail services only so no travel to England.
  • shaz_p
    shaz_p Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2013 at 7:10PM
    I got my card today, having spent a lot of time looking at how to get a discount on rail travel and stumbling across this thread. I had a hospital appointment in Kent scheduled for 1.50pm and knew I'd be stretching my money to get the fare to travel from London to Kent.

My advice is to look up the relevant information before going to the Jobcentre, from websites like TFL, or visit the National Rail website and print off the information. Take it to the Jobcentre and show them. Take two passport pictures with you. If you have an oyster card, take it with you so that you can link you discount card to your oyster at the railway station.

Make sure you get the correct form to fill out. I asked for a discount railcard form and they gave me the wrong one which only covers trams and buses. It was only when I showed them the photo-copy of the JobcentrePlus travel discount card that they arranged an interview with an adviser who filled out the form with me.

I did tell him that I needed it urgently for a hospital appointment and he was sympathetic and rushed it through to the finance section who issued the card straight away. The whole thing was quick - got to the Jobcentre at 9.40 - went for a walk while the adviser finished an interview to finish and was out by 10.50 and on my way to Kent. Total cost of fare: £10.50 as opposed to £41.

The most relevant information is that the card lasts for 3 months and can be renewed when it expires multiple times; if you have an oyster card take it to the train station to link it, so you get half price travel and present it when paying for rail journeys . I've read that it can be used nationally as it is a way of encouraging people to look for work out of their area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure