PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 18th August 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 18 August 2017 at 6:16AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 18th August 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was HM veg and prawn fried rice, HM mushroom chow mein and some stir fry veg, menfolk had a piece of chicken each with theirs. Tonight I'm not sure, but possibly chicken and bacon kievs, chips and beans for the menfolk, I'm thinking I may attempt a HM veg curry for myself, I'll make a pot full so I can have some LO portions for freezing.

I wasn't particularly productive yesterday but got what little washing there was done, stripped, washed, dried and re-made our bed. Boys beds to do today. I will be tackling the ironing pile later. I'll be heading to the SM first thing, then can take the time to get the rest of the jobs done.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Raining again, we'll sink soon!

Work this morning but I'm finishing just before lunch and going to a wedding this afternoon, should be good, it's in a lovely location on the shores of Loch Lomond so only 10 minutes from here. I have a lift there with friends, DD and bf are coming this evening so we will all get a taxi home at the end of the night.

Have very happy holidays RR and JackieO, hope you have a good rest and get some sunshine.
    Grr at the broadband Gers.

Happy Friday, take care. XX
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

JackieO I hope that you all enjoy your holiday and that the weather is good.
    Gers I really feel for you with your broadband problems, I get so frustrated when I have occasional problems.
    redruby Enjoy your holiday.
    Csarina I’m sorry that your DH is still unwell. I can understand that it is making you feel down.
    Camelot, enjoy the wedding it sounds like a wonderful location.
    After getting wet yesterday morning and then again in the afternoon I was hoping that I could stay dry today when I go out this morning, but at the moment it’s tipping down. Unfortunately my hair goes frizzy and sticks out everywhere, not a good look.

I was walking under an overhanging tree with my umbrella up and it got caught on a branch and flew out of my hand. Luckily it missed the lady walking behind me, but it was still embarrassing. I must have looked very comical chasing it down the road.

I need to have a freezer rummage in a minute to see what I fancy for dinner tonight.

I hope that you all have as good a day whatever you are doing.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Happy Birthday tired mum :bdaycake: :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Bumped into a local man who owns and trains gundogs, his dogs are always so relaxed, calm and happy, I always feel jealous when I see them out for a walk. He's full of doggy tips and has been really helpful. He's seen Scampi at his absolute worst. He looked at Scampi, who was merrily greeting three of his dogs, and said 'bluddyhell, what a turnaround, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]look[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] at him, he's doing so well!'. Made my day :D[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The microfibre feather duster is good, much better than my other one which is made of plastic, by the feel of it :D I bought a rubber broom too, I wasn't sure it was doing much (though the carpet looked like it had been hoovered as I went over it!) til I swept into the hall and saw how much dog fur flicked onto the floor :D[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm here by myself today, unusual for a friday so I'm trying to decide what to do with myself all day. I have some work planned for monday but might get some of it done today. My feet need pampering, I look after them but they still end up very dry and sometimes my heels split open a bit. Hopefully we'll have a nice walk (all depends on whether Evil Cat makes an appearance, lol). That's not going to fill the whole day so I'll just see what I feel like doing after that.
    [/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning, bright and some sunshine here, not feeling particularly awake, but hopefully another cuppa and a shower will help. Massage at ten and then a drive through the lanes to visit mum for a couple of hours.

OH is to be waiting in for the delivery of a new TV from JL, ours has been going loopy and changing channel by itself every few minutes for several days, the nice repair/aerial man said to get a new one (it is old), but all of yesterday evening and so far this morning it has behaved itself, we may just be able to drop (not literally) an old TV from upstairs if this one has righted itself:) Need to be vigilant with regard to fire risk with old appliances too I guess.

Happy holiday wishes to those going away, I hope that the weather is kind to everyone. Csarina - I hope that DH is improving and that you are able to get some rest and your birthday tea. Tru - great news that all your hard work is recognised by someone who knows what they are talking about. Camelot - a wedding on the shores of Loch Lomond sounds delightful, fingers crossed for a dry day.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning all, yes more rain here.

My DM wants to go to Kirkintilloch to hand over some no longer used painting materials though she may well change her mind this morning. She was rather unsettled last night after reading a small pile of her letters home dated early 1947, she talked about 'false memory' so think she had forgotten how bad things were at the start of the Cold War with the threat of a new war so soon after the end of WW2. Hopefully she'll have slept well.

Camelot - fingers crossed that the wedding isn't too soggy! Have a fab time.

For now I'm still browsing whilst I can. My techie nephew had pointed me to a bit of kit which is better than BTs home hub which I'll get once the exchange fault is fixed. :)

Happy Friday to everyone.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Nice bright morning so far, typically on the first day of my holiday I was awake at 5.30 this morning ! Still never mind I can always have a holiday nap later on :D

I had my hair cut last night and although its a good cut she did not listen to what I wanted :mad: my hair was almost down to my waist and I keep it long because its so curly that the weight of it pulls the curl out a bit and keeps it under control, so I asked for about 4 inches off and she has cut about 8 - 10 also she straightened it (which is fine) but its sitting just below my shoulders now and once I wash it and the curl comes back it will be on my shoulders ! My hair is so thick and curly that the only way to manage it is to keep it long. This is why I don't like the hairdressers as I have yet to find one who does as I ask !

Sorry bit of a rant there !

We are leaving this morning at about 10.30 we have a few jobs to do here first and I need to quickly hoover the car finish packing and then we are off, I think we are stopping half way for lunch and to let the dog stretch her legs.

JackieO have a great holiday and anyone else going away.

See you all in a week xx
  • Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to those in need.

We're still in sunny Sonning but we'll be moving on after breakfast, we are hoping to be able to moor at Tesco's so I can get some shopping, we need more milk and more fresh food, it's inconvenient not having a relliable fridge and freezer.

Have a good day everyone.

hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's a morning of two halves here - out of the front window it's blue sky and sunshine but out of the back window it's black clouds and bleugh! I think I know which weather type will win!

I am surprised I slept last night as I developed a bad toothache late evening and felt like banging my head against the wall. Instead I dosed myself with painkillers and crossed my fingers!! It eased a bit so I went to bed about 11.00 and, amazingly, didn't wake up till 7.30!! The best night I've had in years! I think I'll take painkillers every night!

I have the pleasure of the Friday Tidy today and, as last week it only got a lick and a promise, I suppose today I had better be a bit more thorough. The garage will be ringing at some point about the car and, as he said it only failed on a minor point, I am hoping the bill won't be too alarming!

I am organised with meals today - some quiche and pasta salad for lunch and tonight it will be bbq spare ribs for Mr TA and some fish for me. I just don't see the appeal in spare ribs but Mr TA loves them so treat him now and again.

I am envious of the holidaymakers. Have a great time and I hope the weather is kind to you. Happy Birthday TIREDMUM. Hope you have a dry hair day HOLLY!! Hope for better news from CSARINA today. I know how stressful and tiring it is looking after a poorly OH. CAMELOT enjoy the wedding, the venue sounds wonderful.

(HUGS) to all in need and have a good day if you can. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Morning, Internet ate my post.
    I've got the place to myself as OH and DS have gone off for the day, so I plan to do a bit more than the usual Friday Tidy as there will be nobody complaining that I'm in the 2 at and they want a wee, shower, cup of coffee, toast etc. I've fuelled them up with bacon sandwiches. Lovely sunshine here, meant to rain later though. I'll enjoy the sun while it lasts.
    Happy birthday to tired mum and happy holidays to all who are off tidly and this weekend.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    Morning all
    Yesterday I had " ants in my pants " and couldn't sit down for more than 5 mins ! But on the plus side I line dried the washing, except the mattress topper which was still damp on the corners, so it went on the airer. I put the washing away, hoovered and dusted upstairs, cleaned the bathroom and sorted through the big wardrobe. I found two old, but good coats and a few tops that I haven't worn in ages, so they are ready to go to charity. I also put away some strappy summer tops and shorts. ( bet we have a heatwave now :rotfl: ). Cooked the tea which everyone enjoyed and filled the DW, again. I also did two short sessions on the x-trainer :eek:. Could have given the ever ready bunny a run for it's money ! Downside is I couldn't sleep last night, tossed and turned for hours, so got up just before 5 am and watched a beautiful sunrise.
    Would have started the thread off this morning ( thanks NMLC ) but could not connect to internet. Finally realised that when cleaning my laptop this morning, I had somehow switched it to airplane mode. DOH :doh:!!
    This morning we are taking dad shopping and probably have lunch out. This evening I am puppy sitting while DD and family go to a friends anniversary do. Hope to do nothing in between, although there are a few items lurking in the ironing basket, but they can wait.
    Hope JackieO and RedRuby have a lovely holiday
    Tiredmum I wish you a very Happy Birthday
    Camelot enjoy the wedding
    Right off now for another cuppa, so hugs to all and hope you enjoy the rest of your Friday.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure