Smart meter incompatibility and chaos

Options

Comments

• ChaunceyGardiner
    Options
    "Flintstone era"? I don't recall them even having electricity to meter, their contraptions were powered by themselves or dinosaurs.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I too have an indoor unit linked to my E.ON smart meter, but I'm not aware that I can take meter readings from it. Can you please identify the precise model of your indoor unit and explain in detail where I can find the meter readings? Certainly E.ON appear to be unaware as I've spent several hours today speaking to E.ON about my problem.

The difficulty is that my gas meter is high up in the garage and pretty inaccessible to read the screen without risking injury by clambering up. The electricity meter is at the back of a cupboard almost at ground level and almost impossible to read. E.ON agree that to make reading accessible to me the meters would need to be moved to a more user-friendly place, but they refuse to do it saying I'll have to negotiate this with my next provider. If, as you say, the indoor unit provides meter readings why haven't E.ON suggested I use that?

Now I'm home I've been able to look at mine.
    https://imgur.com/aeapdRa
    If you have the same model you tap button two (with the cog icon) a couple of times to get one reading, then three to see the other.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Now I'm home I've been able to look at mine.
    https://imgur.com/aeapdRa
    If you have the same model you tap button two (with the cog icon) a couple of times to get one reading, then three to see the other.
    Thanks, that's helpful but sadly I've got a different model.

After a further couple of hours on the phone E.ON have stated quite categorically that I cannot get meter readings with my existing indoor device. They now say I have an old model and they claim it cannot be changed to the new model without without replacing the smart meter which they will not do. It was only installed less than a year ago but still, it seems, an old model. When did they install yours?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 January 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Thanks for the "back to the Flintstone era " comment . That is my view also.If you do return to Eon one day then you can return to the 21 st century again. I had the same slight problem with BG who fitted a smart meter years ago. I ve been to Eon and EDF then back to BG where the meter started working smart again as it did with Sainsburys Energy. Maybe Eon will start to get some competitive tariffs again in the near future.At the moment they seem to have given up.
    Eon have been fitting the same model smart electric meters as other suppliers (F.U. and BG )have used , Landys Gyr e470 electric and gas meters .Maybe these meters just need a module attaching to it to make it SMETS2 compliant .The meters themselves are as modern and up to date as they ever need to be.
    p.s. maybe the word "chaos " is overdoing the slight problem, Syria is in chaos ! a meter reading problem is more of a "snag "
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    I too have an indoor unit linked to my E.ON smart meter, but I'm not aware that I can take meter readings from it. Can you please identify the precise model of your indoor unit and explain in detail where I can find the meter readings? Certainly E.ON appear to be unaware as I've spent several hours today speaking to E.ON about my problem.

The difficulty is that my gas meter is high up in the garage and pretty inaccessible to read the screen without risking injury by clambering up. The electricity meter is at the back of a cupboard almost at ground level and almost impossible to read. E.ON agree that to make reading accessible to me the meters would need to be moved to a more user-friendly place, but they refuse to do it saying I'll have to negotiate this with my next provider. If, as you say, the indoor unit provides meter readings why haven't E.ON suggested I use that?

Flintstones here :D

If you've had your smart meters a number of years, do you have the Ecometer display?

It is possible to take an up to date reading, (updated every 30 mins.)

Keep pressing the second button down on the right of the display (with the 1) until rate now - pence /kwh is displayed.

Underneath it will say present reading total and a longer number.

That's your present reading. Repeat for both gas and electric.

See page 9 of the guide:

https://www.eonenergy.com/~/media/PDFs/For-your-home/saving-energy/Ecometer%20SED%20guide.PDF
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks, that's helpful but sadly I've got a different model.

After a further couple of hours on the phone E.ON have stated quite categorically that I cannot get meter readings with my existing indoor device. They now say I have an old model and they claim it cannot be changed to the new model without without replacing the smart meter which they will not do. It was only installed less than a year ago but still, it seems, an old model. When did they install yours?

Mine were put in early December. Secure Liberty 100 electric and matching gas. They replaced an E7 meter so that might have affected what I got.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2017 at 1:04AM
    Options
    Flintstones here :D

If you've had your smart meters a number of years, do you have the Ecometer display?
    https://www.eonenergy.com/~/media/PDFs/For-your-home/saving-energy/Ecometer%20SED%20guide.PDF
    Hi Fred & Wilma, didn't I bump into you both the other day when you were in Halifax Bank discussing opening an account?

Nope I don't have the Ecometer display, I have a Chameleon display and the manual (dated 19/03/2013) does not mention meter readings. Today, on the phone, E.ON also confirmed that meter readings are not available on my device. They do have other indoor devices displaying meter readings, but these are "incompatible" with my smart meter. While they accept that it's very difficult for me to take manual readings, they are unwilling to provide me with a display device giving meter readings since it would require them to replace my smart meter.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Fred & Wilma, didn't I bump into you both the other day when you were in Halifax Bank discussing opening an account?

Nope I don't have the Ecometer display, I have a Chameleon display and the manual (dated 19/03/2013) does not mention meter readings. Today, on the phone, E.ON also confirmed that meter readings are not available on my device. They do have other indoor devices displaying meter readings, but these are "incompatible" with my smart meter. While they accept that it's very difficult for me to take manual readings, they are unwilling to provide me with a display device giving meter readings since it would require them to replace my smart meter.

Hi picks,

I've read the instructions and your display doesn't appear to have the facility to take meter readings.

https://www.eonenergy.com/~/media/PDFs/For-your-home/saving-energy/Chameleon%20SED%20guide.pdf

However, you can change your Smart Meter Preferences in your online account, to daily data collection or half hourly collection, which should update your meter readings? I have monthly meter readings selected, so at the very least, you can check your last meter reading. Check when your next meter reading is due?

Go into My Account - Change your details, and scroll down to the bottom to Change Smart Meter preference.

To find meter readings, click on Meter Readings on the main menu.

I'm orf back t'alifax, now. My work is never done.............:rotfl:

hth

f&w
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    However, you can change your Smart Meter Preferences in your online account, to daily data collection or half hourly collection, which should update your meter readings? I have monthly meter readings selected, so at the very least, you can check your last meter reading. Check when your next meter reading is due?

Go into My Account - Change your details, and scroll down to the bottom to Change Smart Meter preference.
    Thanks f&w, my smart meter is currently providing E.ON with automated monthly readings. The problem is that I'm considering moving away from E.ON and I'm told this will nullify the smart part of my meter. Manually reading my meters is very difficult. So, unless my indoor display can easily show me meter readings for passing to the new supplier, I'll be catapulted back into Bedrock with energy bills based on estimated readings and meter men arriving annually on a dinosaur. Even the rewards offered by Halifax won't compensate for this.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a good rant, vent your spleen, there, there, there.

Don't forget, we are paying for this fiasco.

Go on, scream. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport