How long should a car battery last?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've had 2 year old batteries fail, admittedly a few years ago, even one with an 18 month guarantee which failed at 20 months!

A lower spec battery will not normally last as long and usage (or lack of) can affect its life
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    blomy , you lot worry about a battery costing £50 -£70 with a 2 year warranty?

a lot of motorcycle batteries , that are in some cases only 20% capacity (and size often cost over £150 !!! PS: all the larger companies making/selling bike batteries give a fantastic warranty ONE YEAR!!!
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did the battery fail because its rubbish or did your alternator fail to charge it properly which caused it to fail prematurely?

Seen batteries replaced and soon after the non starting returns because its the symptom not the cause.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did the battery fail because its rubbish or did your alternator fail to charge it properly which caused it to fail prematurely?

Seen batteries replaced and soon after the non starting returns because its the symptom not the cause.

It was regularly charged up with a charger as was the previous one that lasted well over 5 years!
    Read the posts!

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• derrick
    I don't know why you started this thread as you don't want any constructive critismism or comments you don't agree with.

You bought a cheap battery and it's failed out of warranty. Time to buy a new one but this time buy something decent and it may last. But then it probably won't as you refuse to accept there's most likely an issue with your car.

There isn't!

It does not matter how the battery is charged and if you read my posts you will see that the battery is charged either by a charger or the car.

The charger does it's job and surely if the alternator is not charging at full capacity it will just take longer to charge!

The fact that the same alternator was OK for the previous 5-7 years goes to suggest there is nothing wrong with it and I got a bad battery!

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    derrick wrote: »
    The fact that the same alternator was OK for the previous 5-7 years goes to suggest there is nothing wrong with it and I got a bad battery!

Stuff fails, if your alternator isn't putting out 14.4v, it's got problems.

Every day that a lead acid battery is less than 100% charge, it basically loses it's overall capacity to hold a charge. If it starts out at 60Ah, it could be 30Ah two years later, or worse.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I got a new battery on Monday, £60 with 3yr guarantee. The guy in the shop said my old one was the original factory fitted from new. 11yrs old. But i have done less than 35k miles.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    derrick wrote: »
    There isn't!

It does not matter how the battery is charged and if you read my posts you will see that the battery is charged either by a charger or the car.

The charger does it's job and surely if the alternator is not charging at full capacity it will just take longer to charge!

It really does!!!
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if it's a fact or urban myth but I was once told that most batteries, of the same type and make, are pretty much the same internally, the prices rise according to the length of guarantee provided and some clever marketing, standard/super/high performance etc.

So £40 with a 2 year guarantee, £60 with 3 years etc. If the 2 yr one fails at 30 months tough, if the 3 year one fails at 30 months, you would get a replacement if it failed near your original place of purchase and you could find the receipt and/or wait until the battery fault was confirmed by the seller, then the extra £20 spent for an extra year might be worthwhile.
  • derrick
    Mines lasted 8 years never been out of the car and never seen a charger. Why are you charging yours?

Because it does little mileage and can sit in the garage for up to 2-3 weeks at a time so I top it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport