how do I know if my pc is doing something in the backgroud

Comments

• D_M_E wrote: »

Thank you but I do not know enough about PCs to start messing around with what you suggest. Last thing I want to do is make it worse
    esuhl wrote: »
    Possibly also worth running a malware scan with MalwareBytes and adwCleaner.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

All clean
    Oblivion wrote: »
    Yes, and if you haven't disabled all the spying options it's probably spending lots of time phoning home and sharing your intimate details with the cleaning lady in Microsoft Towers.

So how do I disable these? and which ones should I be disabling?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2016 at 8:48PM
    after lots of trying I finally managed to download firefox but unfortunately it doesn't make much difference, still really really slow.

I am sure something else is using the broadband, I do not have fibre so it will not be able to cope with this, hence why it is effecting me and maybe not others who have higher broadband speeds.

I am so **** with it as I am trying to google solutions but can't as none of the pages load as the internet just doesn't work! I am having to use my phone which isn't ideal.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you run a quick internet speed test:

http://www.speedtest.net/
    I am sure something else is using the broadband...

I don't have Windows 10, but in Win7 the Task Manager has a networking tab where you can see your network activity.

A quick google suggests you could check the "Ethernet" speeds on the "Performance" tab of Task Manager in Win10. And it looks like the "App history" tab should help identify which programs might be using your network.

http://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-to-use-the-new-task-manager-in-windows-8/
    I do not have fibre so it will not be able to cope with this...

Fibre speeds really aren't necessary unless you have lots of people using the internet simultaneously. Even if Windows is downloading updates, it "shouldn't" (?) totally hog your connection.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Go to the Settings panel and click on Updates; it'll tell you if it's downloading updates (they can be a bit large).

Are you able to try plugging in an Ethernet cable instead of using Wi-Fi? You could see if that makes a difference, in which case it's the Wi-Fi.
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    Google Chrome is notorious for spawning processes. There are always more than you would believe possible!

Really?

I've currently only got two running.
  • Thank you to everyone for their help

speed is 5 which is about right as per normal. Nothing else running only one device at a time.

Checked task manager whilst on desktop with nothing open and no wii fi was being used. No updates currently downloading.

Unfortunately I can't try Ethernet as PC is too far away from router I will have to buy a long lead (that's if PC has Ethernet connection I will need to check)

Its really strange something has happened in the update that has caused the web pages not to load or load really slowly, I am not imaging it, it was quite quick and instant before the update. From the above it doesn't seem that anything is using the wi fi so why don't the pages load (on any browser grrrr)
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Browser pages taking a long time to load and your internet connection appearing to operate normally suggests your computer is having difficulty dumping temp files on the hard drive and loading files from there as well.

This suggests that your hard drive is working overtime - have you watched the disk access light, is it permanently on or rapidly flickering?

If so, then you need to set the swap/page file to a set maximum and stop Windows from controlling your life.

Doing the following will make a BIG improvement and worked for me:

Click File Explorer.
    Right-click on This PC, then left-click on Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance. Click Settings :

Next, In the Performance Options window, go to the Virtual memory section, and click Change:

Next, clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox:

Next, click SET

Next, click CUSTOM SIZE and set the page file size to one and a half times your system memory, for example if your computer has 2gig set the max to 3gig.or 3000meg - ignore all other check boxes make sure they are not set.

Now click OK.

You should now do a restart for the change to take effect.

Also note that if you have an SSD then the pagefile should really be turned off.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Also note that if you have an SSD then the pagefile should really be turned off.
    Very bad advice. A pagefile is always a good idea as the system is designed to use one.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    You can turn the pagefile off and see if it improves performance.
    The downside is that if you run too many things which use all of your RAM, you may find that they'll crash.
    But it'd be worth it as an experiment anyway.

You can also run a chkdsk : open file explorer, right-click your disk, properties, tools (I think), and find the option to check your disk. It'll probably say it'll do it on the next reboot.

Further, you could also do a disk defrag.

How full is your disk?

Have you emptied the recycle bin?
  • Thank you

I have check and my system has 8GB of memory, the page file is set at maximum 1920mb, is that ok? doesn't seem too high to me?

I have nothing in the recycle bin and hardy anything stored on the machine, it gets used mainly for internet browsing and my sons homework.

I already did a defrag it was one of the first things I tried, I will also do the disc clean as recommended.

Its is slightly better today but not back to before update speed yet, maybe if I give it more time it will sort itself out (heres hoping :)

Thank you again to those who have taken the time to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure