Help with working out electric bill

Options
Jess80
Jess80 Posts: 11 Forumite
I'm with EDF and when we moved into the property we found we had 2 meters. We have 4 rates which are evening/weekend, night, day and heating. However as these are all for different times I have found it difficult to work out if it would be better to switch or to stay with our current supplier. Please can someone let me know how I would go about working out if it is cheaper to change to just an economy 7 meter? I think we would have to pay to change meters so I need to know if it is worth it.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The easy way would be to add all your energy consumption in kwh and stick it into a comparison site - that would tell you if anything was going to be cheaper. Make it a bit more complex by adding all your off-peak consumption and then your peak rate consumption and putting those into a comparison site.

The problem with a complex metering system is that they work with specific wiring within your property so you may need an electrician to inspect it all to see if it's feasible (and cost effective) to alter the wiring and add any timers to work from a standard E7 or single rate tariff.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Read this thread Click here

A similar problem with complex metering with another supplier SSE.

No electrician is required to inspect your wiring or make changes to your wiring. Your supplier is required to conform to the recent changes added to their licence to supply mentioned in the other thread at no cost to the customer.

Obviously if your heating etc. is controlled by your current EDF metering, then it will continue to work exactly as before if you switch to an industry standard E7 tariff saving you £££££'s.

As you currently use electricity for heating, you are very unlikely to request a switch to a single rate tariff even though this is now an option to you.

It is very likely that you would save money by changing to a more standard tariff and once on a standard tariff you could then use comparison sites to ensure that you are always getting the best deal available like the rest of us can currently do.
  • Jess80
    Options

No electrician is required to inspect your wiring or make changes to your wiring. Your supplier is required to conform to the recent changes added to their licence to supply mentioned in the other thread at no cost to the customer.

Obviously if your heating etc. is controlled by your current EDF metering, then it will continue to work exactly as before if you switch to an industry standard E7 tariff saving you £££££'s.

As you currently use electricity for heating, you are very unlikely to request a switch to a single rate tariff even though this is now an option to you.

It is very likely that you would save money by changing to a more standard tariff and once on a standard tariff you could then use comparison sites to ensure that you are always getting the best deal available like the rest of us can currently do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I had no idea this was happening. I'll call EDF and see if they can give me a date when they can change the meter.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jess80 wrote: »
    I'm with EDF and when we moved into the property we found we had 2 meters. We have 4 rates which are evening/weekend, night, day and heating. However as these are all for different times I have found it difficult to work out if it would be better to switch or to stay with our current supplier. Please can someone let me know how I would go about working out if it is cheaper to change to just an economy 7 meter? I think we would have to pay to change meters so I need to know if it is worth it.
    Thanks for your help.

Do not attempt to switch supplier with your current metering arrangement.
    Attempts by others in the past to do so have invariably ended in tears.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jess80 wrote: »

It is very likely that you would save money by changing to a more standard tariff and once on a standard tariff you could then use comparison sites to ensure that you are always getting the best deal available like the rest of us can currently do.

Thanks I had no idea this was happening. I'll call EDF and see if they can give me a date when they can change the meter.[/QUOTE]

For a person who started this thread (as a brand new MSE user) wanting to know the answer to a very basic question that has been posed numerous times on this board, and almost on a daily basis recently (it's getting boring now ;)), you suddenly appear to think you kow an awful lot about this subject.

I would say I do not agree with your latest post, but it's your opinon and I respect your right to post it, despite it being contrary to information posted by many others (including at least one supplier rep) on this site in previous threads.

Good luck!
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Go for it, but it would be useful to others if you'd come back and tell how you got on.

As Footyguy says there have been many posts on this subject and they've all died a natuaral death without any conclusion being reached. It would help all of us to know how your problem was resolved - after all that's what the forum is for.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:40AM
    Options
    For a person who started this thread (as a brand new MSE user) wanting to know the answer to a very basic question that has been posed numerous times on this board, and almost on a daily basis recently (it's getting boring now ;)), you suddenly appear to think you kow an awful lot about this subject.
    Only the last line is op's. It seems we have another forum glitch when quoting a post which contains a quote (as it has with your post and did when I originally quoted you) !
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Do not attempt to switch supplier with your current metering arrangement.
    Attempts by others in the past to do so have invariably ended in tears.

You frequently trot this out parrot fashion but if customers locked into these restricted hour tariffs can now easily save money by requesting a change of tariff, why are you actively discouraging MSE'ers from saving money?

Are you stating that the suppliers who currently have customers on these restricted hour tariffs but will not accept new customers on these tariffs will ignore the recent change to the terms of their licence to supply?

Have you read the Restricted Meters Order 2016? here

Originally this was to be effective from 1 April 2017 but the suppliers have now been given until 1 September to fully comply and will need to supply a Restricted Meters Remedy Compliance Statement, the first statement is to be submitted to the CMA by 30 September 2017.

Have you forgotten that this is a money saving site, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Although this only affects a small number of energy customers, about 700,000 restricted meters or 2% of all customer accounts, it is an important change for those paying over the odds on non competitive tariffs.
    matelodave wrote: »
    Go for it, but it would be useful to others if you'd come back and tell how you got on.

I totally agree and we will then all know how suppliers British Gas, E.ON, EDF, npower, Scottish Power, SSE Group are handling this change to allow customers to switch to non restricted hour tariffs at no cost to them.
  • Jess80
    Options
    Just a quick update. We are still waiting for someone to change the meter. EDF say they don't have any spare appointments at the moment. Meanwhile they have hiked the standard rate twice in the last few months! I'm not sure what else we can do? I keep pestering and they say they will do it once they have someone available.
  • Jess80
    Options
    I have raised a complaint with EDF as they still don't have any appointments. They have said they will keep me updated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure