Is ERC charged every time overpayment is made?

Options
Hi all

I have worked out that paying a large lump sum off my mortgage now will be worth paying the ERC rather than keeping it in the bank.

What I want to know is, if I decided to pay another overpayment or even remortgage elsewhere during my current mortgage deal will I pay the ERC again?

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If an early repayment charge is applicable then it will be a percentage of the amount you pay off, so for example if the early repayment charge is 3% and you paid off £10,000, your erc would be £300, and then if you made the same payment in 6 months then again it will be another £300.

Out of curiosity would you mind posting your figures? i.e balance, interest rate, erc, and the amount your paying off?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe worth timing the over payments to avoid paying the ERC.
  • SuzieGirl
    SuzieGirl Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glosoli wrote: »
    If an early repayment charge is applicable then it will be a percentage of the amount you pay off, so for example if the early repayment charge is 3% and you paid off £10,000, your erc would be £300, and then if you made the same payment in 6 months then again it will be another £300.

Out of curiosity would you mind posting your figures? i.e balance, interest rate, erc, and the amount your paying off?

Mortgage £98,000
    Interest 3.39% with just over 2 years to go on my 5 yr deal
    17 years left on my mortgage term
    Currently paying £635 ish per month
    ERC is 3% now and 2% after 31st March
    I have £40000 lump sum

I thought I would pay the maximum allowed this year now which is £9800 and the rest after 31st March.

The reason for the lump sum is from my pension as I took early retirement because of ill health. I need to reduce my monthly outgoings and also not have too much in savings as I may need to claim benefits. My annual income is being reduced by around £4000 per year.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    £40k will last you over 10years of reduced income..

if planning to claim means tested benefits consider the deprivation rules.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are not claiming benefits yet so if you want to pay 10% off your mortgage before the end of march that is your business
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure