Milk of Magnesia

27col
27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
edited 2 May 2012 at 10:19AM in I wanna buy it or do it
Does anyone know why Milk of magnesia seems to have disappeared from the shelves of any chemist that I have been into recently.
I have done the obvious and rung their consumer affairs department. Apparently it was found not to conform to some regulation or other and has been taken off the shelves until this is sorted out. No date for its reappearance is yet known.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Still available on boots and Lloyds chemist websites so might be instore unless you have already tried those ones.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just checked mySupermarket and this is what I found:

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Liquid (200ml) £2.50 at ASDA or try Waitrose £2.96.

I'm also seeing £2 until 07/05/2012 at Tesco.

Can't guarantee these will be in any of the above stores as they may have been withdrawn since.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe ask the pharmacist? Its available in the stores I've visited, I did see it was out of stock online in a few places but it was available recently instores-I nearly bought some last week! Otherwise order online:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phillips-Milk-Magnesia-liquid-200ml/dp/B001DZVQ4U
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    squiggles wrote: »
    Still available on boots and Lloyds chemist websites so might be instore unless you have already tried those ones.

Saying out of stock on Lloyds Pharmacy and currently out of stock at Boots as well. Just checked both websites.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Saying out of stock on Lloyds Pharmacy and currently out of stock at Boots as well. Just checked both websites.

Yeah, I checked a few (I went to google and looked via the shopping selection) most sites appear to be out of stock. I doubt they'd have stopped making it and if they had I would give all of 10 seconds before Boots, Superdrug or even Tesco came along to pick up the tab as there really isn't anything like it out there, at least not that I've tried.

Maybe they are changing the packaging or maybe they've decided it doesn't sell as well this time of the year, it could be they pull it from the shelves/stocks to make space for other things which do sell better before bringing it back a few months later. But as I say, I doubt they will stop selling it.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Milk of Magnesia, Yukk! This brought back some memories. It was my mothers cure all for when we felt off colour with a wobbly tummy and my brother and I would desperately try to hold off letting on that we weren't feeling so good because we absolutely dreaded that blue bottle being brought out from the cupboard along with a spoon to give us a good dose!

Once I was a mother myself I was careful never to inflict it on my son and never realised that they still made it!

Dr Colis Brown's was another good old standby for the medical cabinet, but don't think I feared that so much.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cattie wrote: »
    Milk of Magnesia, Yukk! This brought back some memories. It was my mothers cure all for when we felt off colour with a wobbly tummy and my brother and I would desperately try to hold off letting on that we weren't feeling so good because we absolutely dreaded that blue bottle being brought out from the cupboard along with a spoon to give us a good dose!

Once I was a mother myself I was careful never to inflict it on my son and never realised that they still made it!

Dr Colis Brown's was another good old standby for the medical cabinet, but don't think I feared that so much.

my dad used to take it for heartburn
    if he didnt have any he would eat a piece of chalk
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i work in a supermarket and we still stock it and in many different sizes
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • Dolfijn
    Dolfijn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Have been told by a pharmacist that there is some sort of a problem over licencing and they are unable to get stock from their suppliers. Cheapest price on Amazon has gone up from £4.38 to £5.68 in the last couple of days.
  • Dolfijn
    Dolfijn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Now out of stock on Amazon too. What is going on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure