Best isa for me?

I currently have £7k saved up in a isa with my bank hsbc getting 0.70 aer each month putting away roughly 450 a month away.

My Goal is to hopefully in years to come own a house/flat or just look after my nephews future

Comments

• joujou
    joujou Posts: 143 Forumite
    how far away is that future?

do you or have you owned a home in the past?
  • joujou wrote: »
    how far away is that future?

do you or have you owned a home in the past?
    Well i'm currently 27 earning around 1k a month, i've not yet bought anything (Bare a car) just rented a flat and hope to keep building funds to help
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,588 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I currently have £7k saved up in a isa with my bank hsbc getting 0.70 aer each month putting away roughly 450 a month away.

My Goal is to hopefully in years to come own a house/flat or just look after my nephews future

ANy particular reason why you want to accept 0.7% AER when you could get 5x that very easily if not more.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • makemerich12
    makemerich12 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2016 at 8:27PM
    jimjames wrote: »
    ANy particular reason why you want to accept 0.7% AER when you could get 5x that very easily if not more.
    I had a review with my bank and sadly got sold it was a good deal :( who offers 5x more?
  • jimjames
    I had a review with my bank and sadly got sold it was a good deal :( who offers 5x more?

Plenty of places. Unfortunately your bank will only sell you their own products and ISAs don't pay the best rates. You may need to use a couple of accounts to get the best deal, Nationwide pay 5% as do TSB currently. Check out the best savings threads on the main Savings forum here.
  • The best rate i can find is 3.50% from nationwide with the £5k i can start with and the £500 i can put in monthly afterwards.Question is do i quit hsbc now or wait till the new isa rates come out in the new year?
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    The best rate i can find is 3.50% from nationwide with the £5k i can start with and the £500 i can put in monthly afterwards.Question is do i quit hsbc now or wait till the new isa rates come out in the new year?

I can't see any account with Nationwide that will allow you to save £5k at 3.5%.

The only account paying 3.5% is a young person's regular saver.

Their FlexDirect account will pay 5% up to £2500 if you pay-in £1000 p/m.
  • jimjames
    TheShape wrote: »

And the regular saver 5% for paying in £500 per month so that will let you pay in £6000 over the year
  • TheShape wrote: »
    I can't see any account with Nationwide that will allow you to save £5k at 3.5%.

The only account paying 3.5% is a young person's regular saver.

Damn i've just looked after seeing this :rotfl: it pay to read looks like i'm off to find a new one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure