Advice sought - Problem with broadband speed changes -

We live in the country some way from our exchange/cabinet so have no way of getting fibre.

For the last 3 years we have been getting a speed of between 1.1MB and 1.4MB (fluctuates).

Last week we noticed a significant drop to .6MB (or less) and also, for a couple of days, suffered connection drop outs.

We are with TalkTalk who checked the line on their system and said we had a 'loop fault' on the line, so they sent out an Openreach engineer.

The Openreach engineer found no faults on physically checking the line and said that the sync was set to .7MB.

Having seen the speedtest results I had over the last 12 months with figures of 1.1 to 1.3 he called to TalkTalk as he thought they must have capped the speed.

The TalkTalk engineer denied it was capped and said .7 was the maximum I could expect over the length of line - even though I had been experiencing more.
BUT he suggested I could get more going to Fibre (over the same line???? - he obviously doesn't understand how the service works).

So I went back to TalkTalk who have now decided to send me a new router to try - ?????

In the meantime I find my next door neighbour has moved from BT to TalkTalk and he has experienced a drop in speed from 1MB with BT to .6MB with TalkTalk - and guess what - he was connected the same day I noticed a line speed drop.

It seems to me rather coincidental that on the same day as my neighbour was connected to TalkTalk that the speed on both lines dropped and it appears there is nothing we can do about it (apart from trying a different provider) - or does anyone know different?

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    fibre, is fibre to the cabinet, this means your line length is much shorter allowing for higher speed. Normally for fibre the cabinet is 1km or less.

re the speed drop when your neighbor was connected. Not unusual if he didn't have broadband before, as there will be a small amount of crosstalk
  • pewe
    pewe Posts: 47 Forumite
    Re - the fibre - that was my point.
    The TalkTalk Engineer knew the length of the line from the cabinet to the house is over 3KM - so should have known that fibre was a daft suggestion - just demonstrating his lack of 'understanding'.

Does 'crosstalk' only occur if the service on both lines is with the same provider? - because if 'crosstalk' occurs by simply having two broadband services on the same line then this should not be the issue.
    Prior to joining TalkTalk last week next door had broadband with at least 1MB for over 2 years - but it was with a different provider - BT.
  • mwarby
    3km from the cabinet is going to be a struggle for VDSL based services, hopefully one day ADSL2/2+ services will be available from the cabinet, but I think this is still in trial stage

Crosstalk doesn't depend on the provider at least not as severe as your issue (technically you have near end and far end, with different providers kit the far end changes a little, but not such that 1 customer would make a difference)
  • mwarby
    Just found this graph http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png at 3km it shows just under 10M, so maybe it would get you a speed increase. I'm not sure I can recommend it though, as it'll likely be on the edge of working\not working
  • pewe
    mwarby wrote: »
    3km from the cabinet is going to be a struggle for VDSL based services, hopefully one day ADSL2/2+ services will be available from the cabinet, but I think this is still in trial stage

Crosstalk doesn't depend on the provider at least not as severe as your issue (technically you have near end and far end, with different providers kit the far end changes a little, but not such that 1 customer would make a difference)

I appreciate your view regarding speed at that distance because that is what we are constantly told BUT as I repeatedly mention :

On this line I have been getting 1.1MB to 1.3MB consistently for over 2 years with no dropped connections or errors when downloading - so for it to now be a constant .6MB since last week means something has changed.
    TalkTalk constantly use the length of line as being the problem without taking the past performance into account and consistently ignore my point and don't offer any other possible reason for the change.

speed.jpg

I'm also not sure what you mean about ADSL2 - according to my router stats it is using ADSL2

router.jpg
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 October 2016 at 4:12PM
    Although 0.7 is half of 1.4 the actual drop in speed is only between 0.4 and 0.7.

When I moved from O2 broadband, with a BT line, to both with Sky, mine went up from an average 5.4 to an average 6.3. (However, t's been poor for the last two weeks, once dropping the line completely and with some readings as low as 0.7 and short drop outs. Perhaps, they knew I was about to transfer to PlusNet.:p)
  • Somerset
    Somerset Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pewe wrote: »

We are with TalkTalk who checked the line on their system and said we had a 'loop fault' on the line, so they sent out an Openreach engineer.

In the meantime I find my next door neighbour has moved from BT to TalkTalk and he has experienced a drop in speed from 1MB with BT to .6MB with TalkTalk - and guess what - he was connected the same day I noticed a line speed drop.

I'd put money on it being a TT issue, and the neighbour switch not being a coincidence. TT have known capacity problems ie too many people using their platform.

My story, I was with the Post Office for yonks who used BT as their provider. They switched to TT and it went downhill fast. I spent a year in the dark, sending speed tests, more speed tests to the PO, new router, new filters etc. There were no problems with the line, no faults, it would be escalated etc. So I googled, and realised TT simply had a capacity problem, it was well known. Too many users. I switched to BT and went from 0.6 to 3.6. I'm rural as well.
  • pewe
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Although 0.7 is half of 1.4 the actual drop in speed is only between 0.4 and 0.7.

That is still a significant impact - 30%-50% - when the original speed was as low as it was.
    Somerset wrote: »
    I'd put money on it being a TT issue, and the neighbour switch not being a coincidence. TT have known capacity problems ie too many people using their platform.

Getting them to admit it is the problem.
    Why is it that for some reason in todays society it is OK, and acceptable, for businesses to lie to customers and get away with it????

Do you know how far you are from your cabinet?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pewe wrote: »
    That is still a significant impact - 30%-50% - when the original speed was as low as it was.

That was the point I was making. ie that a fairly common change in speed, when switching provider, becomes magnified in the OP's case because of low area speed.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2016 at 6:12PM
    A retired BT technician was telling me about the trials and tribulations of investigating broadband problems with particular service providers, reduced speeds being an issue, often he would visit an end user who would complain they used to get 'X' speed but now only get 'Y', he would go to the exchange and disconnect the line from the ISP 's broadband equipment , and sync the ISP's equipment using his tester , he would expect the line to sync at a much better rate, as the line length is now effectively zero, but mostly it would sync at the 'Y' rate...he would call the SP , to get them to reset the line profile, and they would say that the line was stable at 'Y' and that was the rate their customer was going to get, so no DLM moving the line rate up, even if the line quality improved , it was fixed at this lower (stable) rate, this lower rate of course would benefit the ISP as far as managing bandwidth
    Do these providers still advertise 'they will provide the fastest speed your line can handle' ? or do you get a 'stable' rate
    0.5 Mb pinched from a line syncing at 15Mb isn't noticeable, but pinched from a line that could sync at 1.5Mb is
    Is it a co-incidence that your issue happened at the same time your neighbour joins your ISP ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure