PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Comments

• Knonie
    Knonie Posts: 57 Forumite
    I think we ought to send RetiredLady in as a spy - well done for getting the topping!! Anyone got a chemistry set so we can analyse it??

While we're on the subject of yummy stuff we can't recreate at home - anyone had any luck with the gorgeous cheese twists you can buy for about 70p each from Somerfield, Tesco or Co-op?? Can't afford to have them very often but they don't half taste nice with a glass of vino, so making them would lighten the pocket but widen the hips - LOL!!
    Life....mmmm....still trying to figure that one out but what I do know is if I had all the answers it'd be a hell of a lot easier!!!!!!:p
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    miele wrote: »
    Hi Swan,

What an excitng task for the weekend! I will try to visit the one real bakery left in my town to talk to the baker and persuade him to share..... ;);)
    hi miele,
    that would be great! as you can see this has been driving a lot of us mad for a looong time

just be careful not to torture him too much ;)

look forward to hearing from you next week :)
  • Argh!

Just been reading through all of this and I have to say, I am dissapointed in all of you ;)

I reallllly want to know how to make this stuff.

I have always thought about marmite and msg when eating the stuff, sesame has never crossed my mind!

I am going to pop out in a moment and get the stuff for the standard dutch crunch recipe, and start from there. I might make a load of rolls and try variations on each like a bit of sesame oil, some marmite an another, etc!

Thanks

SkodaSuperCar!
  • It CAN'T be Marmite! I hate the stuff with a passion. I'm sure my tastebuds would be like a heat seeking missile and alert me if it was in there :D

My son has complained a couple of times about the bottom of a tiger loaf or roll tasting like vinegar...wonder if he's onto something?
  • Well back from the shop, and the bread roll dough is in the bread maker as i type.

will let you know the results later :j

SSC
  • Ok well rolls out of the oven and mixed results.

First up, no-one has posted pics up yet so i thought I would start.

Bread maker

Dscf1641.jpg

Standard bread roll mix

Dscf1642.jpg

the dough ready out of the maker

Dscf1654.jpg

Now here is the topping

Dscf1645.jpg

I made it a little more runy after this pic was taken. I made it the consistency of runny icing!

I made the rolls and then spilt the topping in two, one was kept as the dutch crunch recipie, the other i added some marmite then spread it on the rolls and letf to rise

Dscf1656.jpg

Dscf1657.jpg

Obvisouly the darker ones are the marmitey ones.

Once risen the non marmite ones have cracked nicely but the marmite ones, not so much

Dscf1660.jpg

Dscf1661.jpg

Finally after baking

Dscf1665.jpg

Dscf1663.jpg

Dscf1664.jpg

Overall the non marmite ones don't taste of anything other than bread, and the marmite ones taste like twiglets.

I used sesame oil in the recipe, (suger, yeast warm water, then rice flour, salt, and seseme oil).

So its a start, but a mile off a nice bit of tiger bread, Still, i really really really like the marmite covered ones! A nice bit of chease in there would be ace.

thanks

Dscf1667.jpg
  • Swan_2
    great pics, these look wonderful :T

although I'm not a big Marmite fan, I do like Twiglets, so I'll likely give your flavoured topping a try :)
  • Well where do we go from here?

The base mixture smelt a bit like tiger bread (mainly due to the sesame oil) but once cooked that sesame oil smell and taste just went away.

I am wondering if there is not enough sesame oil, and too much water.

What if the recipe changed to more like the yeast and suger and water, but only half as much water, and the rest is made up out of the sesame oil? or would that be too much?

I might try another batch tomorrow with much more oil in and maybe just a dab of marmite (well vegemite) I used about a tea spoons worth this time, and see if i can get a little closer.

SSC
  • Swan_2
    Well where do we go from here?

The base mixture smelt a bit like tiger bread (mainly due to the sesame oil) but once cooked that sesame oil smell and taste just went away.

I am wondering if there is not enough sesame oil, and too much water.

What if the recipe changed to more like the yeast and suger and water, but only half as much water, and the rest is made up out of the sesame oil? or would that be too much?

I might try another batch tomorrow with much more oil in and maybe just a dab of marmite (well vegemite) I used about a tea spoons worth this time, and see if i can get a little closer.

SSC
    that's exactly the point I got to, it smelled the part, but once baked all that lovely sesame-ness disappeared :confused:

I've not had the opportunity, one way & another, to experiment any further, but an interesting point another poster made earlier was that if you cut off the top crust of tiger bread, the 'crumb' tasted just like normal bread, I tried it & it's true, so it must be in the topping ... but how is it done? :o
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been getting Tiger rolls from Tesco for some time now and noticed they seem to vary somewhat from week to week. Last week the ones we got were very strong smelling/tasting :drool: much more than usual, and also very dark in colour. They were also very sticky, something I've not really noticed before, both on top and underneath as though something had been brushed onto them after baking :confused:

It was definitely a very bitter tasting substance (possibly marmite as already suggested) and didn't taste very nice at all alongside a sweet filling (lemon curd).
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure