PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Yes, it probably will be one of the first things to go but its a great thing to have before that happens, plus you can maybe find out how "shtf" situations are affecting other parts of the world before it happens here.
    Our news agencies only tell us what they think is relevant to us whereas you can decide what source to get your news from, or region, or country (currently, and yes, to be fair that could also change in the future, though I'll take it while I can)

:)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I definitely find that news is becoming carefully selected for us before we see it.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd agree about DAB radios being power hungry. It has always frustrated me that my beautiful, loved Roberts DAB radio doesn't have the facility to turn off the digital display which sucks the juice out of the 4 x large batteries it takes in a matter of hours. I have a windup/solar back up radio in the kitchen drawer that I wind up and test every few months.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 January 2017 at 4:19PM
    mardatha wrote: »
    I definitely find that news is becoming carefully selected for us before we see it.

But hasn't that always been the case? Just for one notorious example, remember The Battle Of Orgreave 20-odd years ago during the second bout of HMG versus Chairman Scargill & Co?

Perhaps somebody at the Beeb simply slipped up and didn't mean to get the film clips on TV news in the wrong order so it looked like the Old Bill charged the miners after/because the miners started chucking rocks at them, rather than the other way round ...

Whatever, my lady wife checks out the German news sites on t'interweb every morning, and the difference between what they report and what the BBC does is at times very interesting indeed.
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I forgot to log back on and say 'thank you bob'.

So... thank you bob.

About the hurricane lamps.

Much appreciated.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Si_Clist wrote: »

Whatever, my lady wife checks out the German news sites on t'interweb every morning, and the difference between what they report and what the BBC does is at times very interesting indeed.

That type of thing is useful to be able to do.

If (okay - when:cool:) Major Events happen - then it would be useful if she could provide any links she has (assuming there are ones we would understand of course - ie in English or with English subtitles).

Yep...I know it would be useful to speak German/French/Italian:o.

That has rather given me an idea for when I've got things more settled in my life - maybe I ought to learn German:think:
  • richj
    richj Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    we only get to see what the government wants us to see through the mainstream media.....
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2017 at 9:42AM
    richj wrote: »
    we only get to see what the government wants us to see through the mainstream media.....

So that makes developments in the US rather interesting at the moment, as the MSM seems to be under heavy fire from the Department of Alternative Facts, along with the "Intelligence" services... probably best not to believe any of them!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Si_Clist wrote: »

same here.
    Im learning spanish and use a spanish newspaper app on my tablet for reading practice .
    Generally the news in the UK feels buffered in that most of it has already been in the spanny papers the day before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure