Csa and education at 19

Options
My son may enrol for college in Sept. He will be 19. Will I still be able to claim csa? He is working 30 hours at the moment

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chrispier wrote: »
    My son may enrol for college in Sept. He will be 19. Will I still be able to claim csa? He is working 30 hours at the moment

Re1198 - Maintenance payments: Child Support Agency Assessments: When do payments under a Child Support Agency assessment end?

A CSA assessment does not normally show a cessation date as it should be reviewed at regular intervals by the CSA, usually every two years. Payments will normally end when a child reaches age 16, unless they must continue
    • to age 19 to allow the child to complete full time education (but not advanced education for a degree or similar qualification) or
    • to age 18 if the child is registered for work or youth training but has not yet started youth training or found work which will last for more than 12 weeks after he/she reaches age 16.
    If the child receives Income Support in his own right he ceases to be a 'child' for the purposes of the CSA.

What is not clear is if once the child benefit stops, it can be resumed.
  • Chrispier
    Options
    Sorry to sound stupid- does that mean if he can't get on a course before he's 19 that we can't apply for csa?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chrispier wrote: »
    Sorry to sound stupid- does that mean if he can't get on a course before he's 19 that we can't apply for csa?

As I understand it, once the child no longer qualifies eg, they have gone to FT working then they cannot revert back to CB qualification, as if they lost thier job, they would then apply for JSA. I'm not sure how FT education would work in that situation.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    I am 99% sure from what i have read you wont qualify if he is already 19. The 19 limit is intended to allow a child to FINISH full time education, not to start it. In fact since he has been working i dont think his age makes any difference. He is legally as far as tax and benefits goes already an adult.

You definitely wouldn't be able to re-claim CB for someone who is legally an adult just because they have gone back into education (looked at that about 10 years ago), and maintenance eligibility is pretty much the same as CB eligibility.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whilst it is unlikely that maintenance will be payable, I assume your son is trying to work out whether he can financially afford to study.
    Depending on the level of course there may be student funding available, he will be able to continue with part time working and maybe his father would choose to help out with an allowance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure