British Gas - Changing from a pre-payment meter to credit meter.

Mathev
Mathev Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi, I am in the process of changing from Eon to BG. The purpose being that they will change our pre-payment meter to a credit meter for free. Just wanted to gather some impartial advice. I am aware that they will carry out a credit check. They have also mentioned a £200 security bond. If we pass the credit check will they still take the bond? If we change suppliers before 12 months will they return the bond (catch free)? Thanks in advance for some informed advice.

Comments

• megc_2
    megc_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    No idea, but I'd like to know the same thing, as I've been told the same by BG today (I'm moving into a property with prepayment meters supplied by them). If you pass the credit check, they don't charge the security bond- that's only if you fail it, so that if you don't keep the payments up they can take the money you owe back out of the deposit.
    But I'd like to know, if you do pay the deposit and then change supplier do you get the deposit back? Or would it be better to change supplier (say to my current supplier with whom I've had credit accounts for the last 5 years) and then ask them to change the meter?
    Halifax Credit Card: [STRIKE]£4915[/STRIKE] NEXT Directory: [STRIKE]£1980[/STRIKE]
    JD Williams: [STRIKE]£1984[/STRIKE] British Gas: [STRIKE]£394[/STRIKE] First Direct [STRIKE]£2985[/STRIKE]
    Debt-free for over 2 years now!!! :j
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    British gas are no longer taking security deposits. It is now a straight Pass or Fail for the Credit check.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • megc wrote: »
    No idea, but I'd like to know the same thing, as I've been told the same by BG today (I'm moving into a property with prepayment meters supplied by them). If you pass the credit check, they don't charge the security bond- that's only if you fail it, so that if you don't keep the payments up they can take the money you owe back out of the deposit.
    But I'd like to know, if you do pay the deposit and then change supplier do you get the deposit back? Or would it be better to change supplier (say to my current supplier with whom I've had credit accounts for the last 5 years) and then ask them to change the meter?

Just get the supplier you want to move to too remove the meters then ?.
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most other suppliers will charge to change the meters so best to get British Gas to do it.

If you do pay a deposit they will refund it if you leave them. It's your money, they can't keep it.
  • megc_2
    megc_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Joyful wrote: »
    British gas are no longer taking security deposits. It is now a straight Pass or Fail for the Credit check.

That's strange then, because that's what they told me when I rung them yesterday lunchtime and asked.
    Halifax Credit Card: [STRIKE]£4915[/STRIKE] NEXT Directory: [STRIKE]£1980[/STRIKE]
    JD Williams: [STRIKE]£1984[/STRIKE] British Gas: [STRIKE]£394[/STRIKE] First Direct [STRIKE]£2985[/STRIKE]
    Debt-free for over 2 years now!!! :j
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This is just changing now so it may be that the person you spoke to is unaware of it. I just read it at work on Thursday. It may have been giving advance warning but I will check when I'm next in.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • alicio
    alicio Posts: 9 Forumite
    I was too told they would change the meters after a failed check if given a £200 security deposit when i arranged to switch suppliers to BG. I phoned just now to arrange the credit check/deposit...failed and was told the security deposits policy ended in november last year. Needless to say i am fuming angry as it was December they told me about the security deposit/credit check scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure