Electric Oven replacing. Plug point but hardwiring?

2»

Comments

• Hi I had my kitchen refitted last year,and the kitchen electrics were redone as well.I had a Hotpoint OS897DPIX/HP built in oven fitted,which has been fine until I used the pyrolitic clean cycle for the first time and all the kitchen electrics tripped out.
    When the electrics were reset and the cooker had cooled down it is fine again.I am not sure now whether the electrics or the cooker is at fault.I have read on on the internet somewhere that this cooker needs 32 amp fuse and a cooker point.Although the wire appears to be thicker than usual,my cooker has a plug into a socket.The manual says the maximum power absorbed is 3400-3600W.voltage 230-240V-50Hz.Any advice please whether I need an electrician or Hotpoint before I dare use the cleaning cycle again!
  • marksw123
    marksw123 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 30 January 2011 at 10:43PM
    We have been having the same problem. Hotpoint came out and told us that it was our electrics, so we got them changed costing £85. This made no difference.

So then yesterday hotpoint came out again, a much more helpful guy and they told us it was a design problem and we need some new connections and sheathing inside the oven. There has been a technical bulletin released to hotpoint repair staff regarding the problem.

We are now waiting for spare parts and the guy is cominig back. We hope this solves it.

He also told us that it is OK plugged into a 13amp socket!
  • Thanks for replying to my problem regarding using pyrolitic cycle.I'm going to phone Hotpoint again.The first time I phoned they suggested I use the pyrolitic cycle again,and if the electrics tripped out again they would come and look at it,but if it was my electrics at fault they would make a "no fault" charge!I haven't used the cleaning cycle again as with all that heat I was a bit nervous something drastic might happen like the oven get on fire!Will let you know how I get on.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    adalancs wrote: »
    Hi I had my kitchen refitted last year,and the kitchen electrics were redone as well.I had a Hotpoint OS897DPIX/HP built in oven fitted,which has been fine until I used the pyrolitic clean cycle for the first time and all the kitchen electrics tripped out.
    When the electrics were reset and the cooker had cooled down it is fine again.I am not sure now whether the electrics or the cooker is at fault.I have read on on the internet somewhere that this cooker needs 32 amp fuse and a cooker point.Although the wire appears to be thicker than usual,my cooker has a plug into a socket.The manual says the maximum power absorbed is 3400-3600W.voltage 230-240V-50Hz.Any advice please whether I need an electrician or Hotpoint before I dare use the cleaning cycle again!

If you have that plugged in to a 13A socket then clearly it's going to trip drawing 3400W, as that's in excess of 14A. How do the instructions say it should be wired? It needs a proper dedicated cooker circuit and a cooker connection unit.
    Your cooker isn't faulty, the install is.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hi Macman.The instructions about connecting the electricity supply to the mains say to install a standardised plug corresponding to the load on the data plate,which is located on the appliance.It must be where you can't see it! Would that be the 3400-3600W? It goes on to say the appliance must be directly connected to the mains using an omnipolar switch with a minimum contact opening of 3mm installed between the appliance and the mains.The switch must be suitable for the charge indicated and must comply with current electrical regs(the earthing wire must not be interrupted by the switch)It also says to make sure that the appliance is earthed,the plug is compliant with the law and the socket can withstand the maximum power of the appliance ie 3400-3600W.So does that mean they are saying it is connected with a plug and socket? I think it might have been less of a problem if I'd bought an oven I could clean with Mr Muscle!
  • My oven only has a max load of 2400 according to our instruction manual - hence why it can be plugged in. It draws less than a kettle, or electric heater! Hotpoint and an electrician confirmed ours is OK plugged in a 13amp socket, and hotpoint have also confirmed ours is a fault with the oven. He's coming to fit they new parts this week......
  • have same problem. Hotpoint Changed unit but still the same. ELCB trips not current trip.
    Did anybody get a solution to this so that I can clean my oven?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure