Losing weight x

Options
I am cutting back and getting my money organised, and as part of this think that paying slimming clubs money can be one of the things to go. Is this a waste of money?! £20 to go on the scale.

Is there a way to lose weight by yourself, after all it is you doing IT each week?

Any tips or advice from anyone?

Comments

• winspiration
    Options
    Try 5:2, intermittent fasting - you can read lots about it online, basically it means consuming no more than 500 calories two days a week (separate or back to back, your choice).

Also has a money saving aspect that you aren't eating much two days a week so lower grocery bills :p

I've been doing this for most of the year and have lost over 2 stone. Progress not as fast as some, but it suits me, I want it to be sustainable. I still have a long way to go, but I've found it very straightforward and easy to stick to - it's only one day at a time for a couple of days a week.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a case of finding something that works for you.

In my case it was trying to cut out/right back anything resembling bulk carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, chocolate sugary high energy fruit) and eating meat + vegetables. That and going to the gym for soem light exercise semi-regularly (20mins on a running machine and a minimal amount of weight machines was never in there more than an hour or twice a week.

Went from 98Kg ro 82Kg in around 3 months at a fairly steady 0.2Kg / day

Not the most MSE of approaches from a cost of food approach (Gym was only £16 per month -new low cost chain in London + seems to be spreading nationwide)

But it was pretty quick results-wise which encouraged sticking to it....
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's an additional cost but I've lost 4st on Weight Watchers and I wouldn't have done it without going to the classes. I could have done it, but I wouldn't have.

It's all relative to you though. Maybe your willpower is better than mine, but I like the support of the group and the leader.
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    Claree__x wrote: »
    I know it's an additional cost but I've lost 4st on Weight Watchers and I wouldn't have done it without going to the classes. I could have done it, but I wouldn't have.

It's all relative to you though. Maybe your willpower is better than mine, but I like the support of the group and the leader.

I'd echo Claree on this. I lost 3 stone with slimming world over 9 months and I've kept it off for 14 months now. This was actually before my LBM however, I see that couple of hours as a night out. Now I'm at target I don't pay to attend meetings but I still go and I would if I had to pay. £5 for a night out that's all for ME is a bargain. I spend a couple of hours chatting to real people, debt leaves my mind and I always leave feeling happy and supported

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Million_Percent
    Options
    Just eat healthy for 6 days a week and have a treat day once a week. I'm sure you know how to eat healthily after following one of these programmes for no more than a few weeks. Why keep spending the money?

Remember exercise is a better way to stay fit and healthy than just dieting alone. There are loads of exercise activities you can do for free - it doesn't have to be expensive gym memberships or classes.
  • Aloofdragon
    Options
    I have tried to go it alone all through the summer months to save money and try and convince myself I CAN do it alone and won't overeat as only cheating myself bla de bla de blah. Epic fail on my behalf I rejoined S/W last Saturday and find my focus has doubled to clear debts as that part of my stress has eased, I guess it is how strong is your willpower and is your health suffering for being overweight. I agree £5 is a lot to weigh but I also have some amazing friends there so I don't weigh and run x
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Christmas savings £200/£800.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
    Birthday savings £50 /£100.
    100 days #20 Credit union £40/£1150
  • bethal
    bethal Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Slimming world has worked for me and is definitely worth the money (plus if you have the money upfront, it gets slightly cheaper e.g. buy 6 weeks and pay for 5/buy 12 weeks and pay for 10)

The amount I save on junk food definitely offsets what I spend going to the class x
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used a program called Perfect Diet Tracker myself, its a bit fiddly to start with but basicly you tell it your height,weight etc and tell it what you want to weigh and it will tell you how many calories, you can have, how much percentage fat, carb protient etc. then you put in what you eat and it tells you what youve had. Its a bit awkward to get used to, but it REALLY makes you think about a mars bar at 450 calories when your 30 minute jog that burned 500 calories is sitting right next to it.

It also has lots of pretty graphs if you regularly update your weight and for me personaly, these acted as a massive motivator, when you feel like your getting nowhere you just pull up a chart for 3 months progress and see that lovly downwards line and your ready to go again.

Paul
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Try 5:2, intermittent fasting - you can read lots about it online, basically it means consuming no more than 500 calories two days a week (separate or back to back, your choice).

Also has a money saving aspect that you aren't eating much two days a week so lower grocery bills :p

I've been doing this for most of the year and have lost over 2 stone. Progress not as fast as some, but it suits me, I want it to be sustainable. I still have a long way to go, but I've found it very straightforward and easy to stick to - it's only one day at a time for a couple of days a week.

There's a support thread for this as well (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896529), although it's pretty quiet lately :(.

I've been doing the 5:2 since August last year and have lost over 90lbs! Although this includes being "sensible" on my 5 days, and increasing my exercise generally.

As with all lifestyle changes, it takes a certain amount of willpower to stick to, so if you're someone who likes group support then maybe something liek SW would be better. But if you're happy going it alone, I'd recommend giving 5:2 a try :).
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've lost 6 stones without joining any slimming clubs. I followed Rosemary Conley's Inch loss Plan, upped my physical activity & kept a daily food diary to track my calories. The only equipment I bought was a few exercise DVDs (either in the sale or 2nd hand) & a set of Rosemary Conley's Portion Pots. My husband has lost about 4 stones. Its had a positive effect on our health & DEFINITELY on our finances!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure