IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

bailiffs took my car

Options

Comments

• Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    Why? Its not for them to decide.

Didn't suggest it is, just giving a possible reason why they want proof of insurance.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • zarrah
    zarrah Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Well if you were driving it without insurance, you were liable to get it seized anyway. If the old bill had of clocked you by ANPR, that's exactly what would of happend.

I see this differently... karma.

No i wasnt driving it, it was outside my friends flat the previous owner dropped it there for me....
  • Tilt
    edited 3 June 2012 at 3:33PM
    Options
    zarrah wrote: »
    No i wasnt driving it, it was outside my friends flat the previous owner dropped it there for me....

Well unless you live in the same street as your friend, how did the bailiffs find it? Plus I don't understand that after owning the car for just 2 days (which means presumably the RKs details wouldn't yet be updated by the DVLA), why would the bailiffs be chasing you at all? Surely, they would still be chasing the previous owner/RK? Does your friend live very near to the previous owner?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the bailiff could have found it using ANPR

Have you been in touch with local authority that issued the PCN
    what bailiff firm is it
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The bailiffs have no right to see an insurance policy for the vehicle. However the reason they ask is in case as I posted earlier its a contrived transfer.
    The former owner may have "sold" the car to the new owner, but the former owner may still be "insured" to drive it. If that's the case the former owner may still have an interest in the vehicle.
    Or of course the car was already levied on, then it was not the former owners to sell!
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    What is your connection with the "previous owner" ?
    Something you are not telling us here, it just does not add up?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tilt
    Options
    hallowitch wrote: »
    the bailiff could have found it using ANPR

Presumably the bailiffs already have the VRM?
    hallowitch wrote: »
    Have you been in touch with local authority that issued the PCN
    what bailiff firm is it

Not sure it has anything to do with them once the recovery order is issued. Would possibly be better contacting the TEC an Northampton but the OP will still need to make a stat deceleration statement.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/northampton-bulk-centre/traffic-enforcement-centre/statutory-declarations
    PLEASE NOTE
  • zarrah
    zarrah Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice i really appreciate it....
    the car was outside my friends flat where the seller dropped it off for me as i didnt have insurance to drive the car to my home address, i wasnt driving it. i did call the poilce but they said its a civil matter. after calling the council that [FONT=&quot]issued the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Warrant i found that the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Penalty Charge as been paid but[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]the bailiffs are saying its still outstanding.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    You need to answer post 27, so we can get to the bottom of this "my" car.
    It may not be your car at all.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Presumably the bailiffs already have the VRM?

the VRM is on the warrant

Not sure it has anything to do with them once the recovery order is issued. Would possibly be better contacting the TEC an Northampton but the OP will still need to make a stat deceleration statement.

Its the councils warrant and the bailiff is employed by the council to enforce the warrant making the council 100% responsible for there contractors actions

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/northampton-bulk-centre/traffic-enforcement-centre/statutory-declarations

All correspondence regarding this should be sent the council preferably by way of formal complaint to the CEO
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport