PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• isthatreduced
    Options
    I'm In could you put me down for £130,this is for me and DD 14.

I am starting work once my paperwork and references go through,not sure when that will be, might be this month might be next month,so I will have to get to grips with packed lunches for the both of us (one fussy eater:rolleyes: )

So I am looking to batch cook ,so we can pop dinners in the Microwave after work ect..(Working various shift patterns).

And Ideas for packed lunches.

I have been a stay at home mum for 14 years,so many changes a foot.
    Any ideas welcome.

Happy New Year to all xx
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you add me please. Due to having work done on my home, I am having to eat my cupboard contents and wont have anywhere to store new shopping for a few weeks, so can you put me down for £50 this month.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • cady
    cady Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    me and my OH live on £100 a month easily best thing i found was to write down a list of meals you want to eat then go from there and workout what you need to spend and make a list double cook and freeze some for the days you dont have time to cook!!! good luck hth x
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you join the January Grocery Challenge thread ?
    Loads of people on there, varied circumstances (including fussy OH's!) and budgets.
    It's friendly and there are recipes at the start and loads of good tips.
    Hope to see you there.
    :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi shabbychicfan,

To get started on meal planning this thread has lots of links that may help:

The Complete Menu Plans Collection

Also there is a weekly thread where everyone lists their meal plans that may give you some inspiration. They usually begin on a Thursday. This is this week's thread:

MealPlans WB 29th December 2008

For store cupboard essentials some people have listed what they have in these threads:

OS store cupboard basics
    Storecupboard Essentials

This thread may help with the fussy husband ;) :

What can i feed the fussiest eater in the world?

And finally (you'll be glad to hear) the best place to get help with grocery budgeting is the monthly Grocery Challenge. The new one for January has just begun. You'll get lots of help support and inspiration from the regulars on that thread so I'll add your thread to it later.

Good luck on sticking to your budget.

Pink
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Doing well another nsd for me!(great that the shops are shut!) need to get my act in gear and plan for my major shop. Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • KITTY_2-2
    KITTY_2-2 Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    Had my first spends yesterday - £17.18 in Boots and £14.11 in Morrisons. Shouldn't need anything else for a few days so hopefully NSDs today and tomorrow, then just pet food and straw on Saturday.

Happy New Year, K x
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • Cazzie_2
    Cazzie_2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like to join this please.. am determined to get organised and stick to a budget for my shopping.

Could you put me down for £200 to start with.. this is for me, OH, DS1 (16) DS2 (12) and DD1 13 months old. Will be interesting to see how I get on. Off to a good start with an NSD today!

Happy New Year xx
    :j "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe :j
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I'm pretty late in declaring my goal for January. I need to stock up the store cupboards a bit but DH is away for a good bit of January so I'm going for a frugal £120 just to try to get the year off to a good start. I have a big asda shop arriving tomorrow (about £50 worth) but this includes some laundry etc stuff that should do a couple of months.

I'm also going to aim for a total spend for 2009 of £1900. I've found having a yearly total helped keep me on the straight and narrow in 2008 - or at least helped me recover faster from any slips!

Good luck to all the new people and let's keep going to the oldies :)
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Wow, I totally went AWOL in Dec but I will finish that month at £245 as I have had to guesstimate but I know I was under ;)

I was going to budget £250 again for Jan but my Mr T delivery came yesterday whilst I was out and DH accepted all subs without reading it and the mangaged to sub 2 x chicken mini fillets £6 total for 2 x full size packs chicken breasts at £15 total!!!! :eek: OMG how shocked was I that my bill went up to £95 :mad:

So now, I am setting myself a target of £175 for the rest of the month and have set up my account accordingly :)

So my total for JAN please £275 thankyou :D

Sorry I will not be able to catch up all th posts as there are already loads!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure