IVA but need new boiler

Options
My friend is on an IVA with DFD and pays £130pm after recent review. He has contacted them with the issue of his boiler which needs replacing. Its his only form of heating/hot water.

The suggest borrowing the money from friends though they won't drop the £130pm so he can pay it back as they say this amount is already the minimum allowed.

They asked for a quote from British Gas which he has for £3500 (way over the odds in my opinion) but they expect him to get it fitted then argue the toss with BG afterwards for payment.

We have an independent quote for £1500 from a local gas safe engineer but it will mean borrowing the money from me which I don't mind but how does he get the IVA to take account of this while he pays it back and quickly.

He works but has medical problems and shouldnt be sat at home freezing surely. This has been going on for three months now and he is no nearer getting a boiler sorted with their agreement

Comments

• debtfree2016
    Options
    Hi, he could take a 6 month payment break from the IVA. But that wont ,match the cost.
    Never make assumptions always ask questions>>>>>;)
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the alternative freezing through the winter?
  • simpywimpy
    Options
    Any suggestions? Im really struggling with this. We've phoned lots of different companies that appear to be offering free boilers and such offers but with no luck
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, I would establish that the boiler does actually need replacing - get more quotes to repair it before you do anything else. What's the issue with it? Is it a fault that could be safely repaired using second hand parts? I was told by BG and 2 independent installers that my current 14 year old boiler was "obsolete", "beyond repair" and "had to be replaced". However, when I explained to another independent that I just couldn't afford to replace it he advised that it could be repaired for £180 (new gas valve) but he couldn't guarantee how long it would last - 5 years later it's still running faultlessly.

Failing that, is there another way to provide heat/hot water? Is there a solid fuel fire that can be used/reinstated? If so, how much would it cost to install an immersion heater to provide hot water?

Failing everything else, have you looked at leasing a boiler? It's very rarely a good way to provide a boiler, but in this case it could be the only option. Try companies like everlastingboilers.co.uk (I'm sure there must be plenty of other, similar firms as well). They will provide a boiler on a contract for a weekly/monthly payment.
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    ...some really good advice from ilikewatch.

Don't believe the 'obsolete parts argument' - BG are well known for coming out with that old chestnut. (My plumber is ex-BG, and left because he was put under pressure to 'over-sell' new boilers).

You can still readily get parts for most boilers of common makes, up to 25-30 Years old, just google 'spare parts' + 'make/model of your boiler', that there is pretty much nothing you cannot get.

So get several quotes.
  • simpywimpy
    Options
    Personally I think it could be repaired but it would cost about £500 which he still doesnt have.
  • debtfree2016
    Options
    If it can be repaired for £500, then that could be covered by a payment break.
    Never make assumptions always ask questions>>>>>;)
  • jaylee3
    jaylee3 Posts: 2,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...some really good advice from ilikewatch.

Don't believe the 'obsolete parts argument' - BG are well known for coming out with that old chestnut.
    (My plumber is ex-BG, and left because he was put under pressure to 'over-sell' new boilers).

You can still readily get parts for most boilers of common makes, up to 25-30 Years old, just google 'spare parts' + 'make/model of your boiler', that there is pretty much nothing you cannot get.

So get several quotes.

I know right: the 'obsolete parts' old chestnut, along with the 'you need a system flush' old chestnut. :D

BG do often come out with that, (the obsolete parts excuse,) if the boiler is more than 10 years old, to try to get you to have a new boiler that you probably do not need. The QUEEN has a sixty year old boiler, and it's still going, and my aunt has had a boiler since 1990 that is frequently serviced by her neighbour who is a corgi registered gas engineer. It's still going strong, although it could be argued that a newer one would, be more energy efficient.

Have to agree that 3.5 grand is EXTORTIONATE. Get a few more quotes, your friend can surely find a quote for half that!

Don't know what to suggest about the IVA not being allowed to be reduced though, apart from asking if he can pay the boiler/boiler repair in instalments.
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • UpToMyNeckInIt
    Options
    Replacing a boiler purely on the grounds of energy efficiency is a lost cause as well. The Building Research Establishment reckon the payback period is something like 10-15 years to recoup the savings vs installation costs.

By that point your boiler will probably need replacing again.

You only normally 'need' to replace a boiler when the old one becomes uneconomical to maintain.
  • Ray_Alexander
    Options
    I would'nt pay that much for a new boiler mate - try getting some quotes in and go from there. I'm sure BG will try and charge as much as they can ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure