Hi

i want to get rid of the artex on my ceiling
how much would it roughly cost

living room is 4.22 m x 3.96

cheers

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    SUPERTED6 wrote:
    Hi

i want to get rid of the artex on my ceiling
    how much would it roughly cost
    living room is 4.22 m x 3.96
    cheers

About £24 if you DIY using this stuff from Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=OQGK14U2HB2JPCJO2C1CJ0Q?ts=40987&id=67226
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My brother had this stuff in his bedroom a long long time ago when I lived at home.
    The artex peaks/spikes wern't very big, so a plasterer was able to skim over the ceiling.

There are a few options to look at.
    1: Remove ceiling completely. plasterboard and skim over. (messy job if you have old lath and plaster ceiling type).

2: Dab and board over , then skim over with plaster.

3: Skim over with plaster. providing peaks are not too big.

4: Hire a machine to grind it off. (extremely messy).

5: Put up a framework of battens and fit new plasterboard ceiling.

Take into account how much you want to spend, what is the room to be used for, can it be emptied completely, do you plan to stay in the house.

Personally, I plan to stay in my house, and I always want a job done properly. I would remove it completely and plasterboard a new ceiling.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Hi,
    IF its the old type artex, then there's a high likelyhood it contains asbestos so get it checked out before you start any work.
    Try contacting your local authorities environmental health dept. to see if they can assist. If not they should point you in the right direction.
    This will probably cost you though but better for you and your families health!

Gaz

Edit,
    Just seen RobOwens post and if the ceiling is in good condition then yes skim over it or plasterboard.
    When you lay turfs its green side up!
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Gaz_Hammer wrote:
    Hi,
    IF its the old type artex, then there's a high likelyhood it contains asbestos so get it checked out before you start any work.
    Try contacting your local authorities environmental health dept. to see if they can assist. If not they should point you in the right direction.
    This will probably cost you though but better for you and your families health!

Gaz

Edit,
    Just seen RobOwens post and if the ceiling is in good condition then yes skim over it or plasterboard.

How long ago would they have stopped making "old Artex"? I have the whole kitchen covered in it and I know the previous tenant had lived here for 5 years. I am in the "very long" process of using a steamer to get it off as I hate it. Could I be at risk? Thanks
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • mariauk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    robowen wrote:
    My brother had this stuff in his bedroom a long long time ago when I lived at home.
    The artex peaks/spikes wern't very big, so a plasterer was able to skim over the ceiling.

There are a few options to look at.
    1: Remove ceiling completely. plasterboard and skim over. (messy job if you have old lath and plaster ceiling type).

2: Dab and board over , then skim over with plaster.

3: Skim over with plaster. providing peaks are not too big.

4: Hire a machine to grind it off. (extremely messy).

5: Put up a framework of battens and fit new plasterboard ceiling.

Take into account how much you want to spend, what is the room to be used for, can it be emptied completely, do you plan to stay in the house.

Personally, I plan to stay in my house, and I always want a job done properly. I would remove it completely and plasterboard a new ceiling.

Lol, Love your Avatar Rob. Not very often you see a man cleaning the toilet :D
  • Hi MariaUK,
    sorry if you feel alarmed at this but its difficult to give proper advice by guessing!
    Artex that usually contains asbestos was applied generally prior to the mid 1970's.

Have a look here (its a few years old but still relevant)

If the material is in good condition then its not normally a problem and I think that as you are using a steamer you are probably keeping the material damp which is good!
    Unfortunately its a potential messy subject to really go into so please seek further guidance from your local authority and I hope your ceiling coating is clear or not of an age to be of concern!

Gaz
    When you lay turfs its green side up!
  • JayS_3
    JayS_3 Posts: 318 Forumite
    mariauk wrote:
    Lol, Love your Avatar Rob. Not very often you see a man cleaning the toilet :D

Men are very 'precious' about cleaning toilets, aren't they. :eek:

I have two sons, I've decided to strike a blow for the females-to-be in their lives, as we have three loos in our house they each clean one as part of their pocket money jobs (they are aged 15 and 12) and I, and my husband, clean the other. :rolleyes:

You should have heard the fuss about it to start with, but they take it in their stride now. :D
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • mariauk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Gaz_Hammer wrote:
    Hi MariaUK,
    sorry if you feel alarmed at this but its difficult to give proper advice by guessing!
    Artex that usually contains asbestos was applied generally prior to the mid 1970's.

Have a look here (its a few years old but still relevant)

If the material is in good condition then its not normally a problem and I think that as you are using a steamer you are probably keeping the material damp which is good!
    Unfortunately its a potential messy subject to really go into so please seek further guidance from your local authority and I hope your ceiling coating is clear or not of an age to be of concern!

Thanks Gaz. Lucky me, the ceiling is actually just plasterd. The fool who lived here before decided to Artex all the walls instead and then paint them in a really sickly yellow :cool: Like I say, its only been up for about 5 years so I should be ok. One wall down three to go :rolleyes:
  • mariauk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JayS wrote:
    Men are very 'precious' about cleaning toilets, aren't they. :eek:

I have two sons, I've decided to strike a blow for the females-to-be in their lives, as we have three loos in our house they each clean one as part of their pocket money jobs (they are aged 15 and 12) and I, and my husband, clean the other. :rolleyes:

You should have heard the fuss about it to start with, but they take it in their stride now. :D

Good for you, Im still trying to get mine to lift the toilet seat up, as for aiming straight, Do they ever learn? :D
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Steam and scrape it. Takes ages but works
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure