Admiral took money from my account

I had a home contents insurance policy with Admiral but renewed with another insurer. The policy was not on direct debit or standing order. They still took the money from my account despite writing that my acccount would lapse if I didn't renew.

When I called, I was told I had to provide evidence of who I had renewed with to get a refund. That cannot be right and certainly runs contra to the FCA's Treating Customers Fairly policy. They took the money without authorisation and now won't give it back without "evidence".

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Why not send them what they want to get it resolved quickly?

Otherwise start the formal complaints procedure with them and escalate to the FOS if necessary.

If the payment was unauthorised also complain to your Bank and see if they can assist
  • I had a home contents insurance policy with Admiral but renewed with another insurer. The policy was not on direct debit or standing order. They still took the money from my account despite writing that my acccount would lapse if I didn't renew.

When I called, I was told I had to provide evidence of who I had renewed with to get a refund. That cannot be right and certainly runs contra to the FCA's Treating Customers Fairly policy. They took the money without authorisation and now won't give it back without "evidence".

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Have you double checked the renewal letter?

Assuming you are right and it said "do nothing and the policy will lapse" then its a simple complaint sending them a copy, not the original, of their own letter back to them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I called, I was told I had to provide evidence of who I had renewed with to get a refund. That cannot be right and certainly runs contra to the FCA's Treating Customers Fairly policy.

That is the accepted way with dual insurance and quite fair and does not run contra to Treating Customers Fairly. It is logical and sensible. It weeds out those trying to get a refund unlawfully. And for genuine people, its litlte more than printing out the pdf on the new plan or copying the new schedule. and sending it in.
    They took the money without authorisation and now won't give it back without "evidence".

Are you sure you didnt misread the renewal letter? The last Admiral policy I had said they would not need to do anything if I wanted to renew but had to call them if i didnt want it to renew.

At the end of the day, you can complain, wait up to 8 weeks for a response which may or may not side with you or you can send them a copy of your schedule and they can clear it off straight away.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    ............ It weeds out those trying to get a refund unlawfully..............

When did it become 'unlawful' to let your home contents policy lapse?
    What law has the op broken?
  • nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    When did it become 'unlawful' to let your home contents policy lapse?
    What law has the op broken?

The issue they were talking about is claiming to have bought other insurance to escape the cancellation fees when you havent actually bought any other insurance. Arguably this would be fraud
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The issue they were talking about is claiming to have bought other insurance to escape the cancellation fees when you havent actually bought any other insurance. Arguably this would be fraud

What?

Prove to some nosey insurance busy body you have bought insurance elsewhere, or it's fraud, and the police will be round?

I know you stand by the insurance industry no matter what they do, but sometimes you need to stand back, and read the nonsense.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite

The op joined mse for advice, gave full chapter and verse of the issue yet the insurance establishment want to use words like " unlawful" and "fraud"

Where do you get that leap from?
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Quentin wrote: »
    The op joined mse for advice, gave full chapter and verse of the issue yet the insurance establishment want to use words like " unlawful" and "fraud"

Where do you get that leap from?

I'm beginning to think he is employed full time by an insurer to supply misinformation, and refute any money saving advice on here.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I have now found an e-mail from Admiral saying: "To make renewing your policy as easy as possible, we will automatically renew your policy based on the information you have supplied. If all your details are correct, then you don't have to do anything." In my haste, I took the letter from 2013 when Admiral did let policies lapse.

Admiral are preying on customer inertia - and it almost worked in my case as I did not read the e-mail (it went to a junk file). Having worked with the old FSA on TCF in the past I am pretty sure they (or rather the FCA now) would not view such tactics as treating customers fairly.
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for all your responses. I have now found an e-mail from Admiral saying: "To make renewing your policy as easy as possible, we will automatically renew your policy based on the information you have supplied. If all your details are correct, then you don't have to do anything." In my haste, I took the letter from 2013 when Admiral did let policies lapse.

Admiral are preying on customer inertia - and it almost worked in my case as I did not read the e-mail (it went to a junk file). Having worked with the old FSA on TCF in the past I am pretty sure they (or rather the FCA now) would not view such tactics as treating customers fairly.

If it's a change to your t&c's they can't do it mid term unless you agree, so the fact they sneaked an email off to you at some time doesn't alter anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure