PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• So I've found one house I really really like. Decent road and area, good location in terms of access to shopping centres and the motorway. Reasonably priced as well, but the downside, needs complete modernisation, absolutely everything from bath, kitchen to the electrics and pipeworks.

On the market at £179,950, I managed to get the previous offers they declined and have put my offer of £172k in. Happy to go up to £178k if needs be.

I also have made some silly offers on other houses but have been rejected.
  • kilby_007 wrote: »
    We went to see another property today, which initially looked promising. The price at 325K is right at the top end of our budget and needs redecorating & new carpets throughout, new kitchen and bathroom and some general maintenance including re-landscaping the garden. We have budgeted for all that and reckon we can do it for 10-15K, doing most of the work ourselves (except carpets).

Problem is, the garden which looked HUGE on the photos (the house is barely visable in the distance) in reality is unimpressive. It was around 1/3 of the length I thought it was! This would mean that with an extension and a workshop we would hardly have any garden left. I understand that you have to make compromises when house hunting, and garden size might have to be one of those, but it leaves us questioning why we want this house when you can buy an (almost) new-build 3-story house on the next estate for around the same price that wouldn't need any work. The plot is quite a bit bigger than the new builds although the house itself is smaller. You seem to pay a lot for (very little) extra land these days...

The estate agent told us that a previous buyer had a survey which found that the concrete floors had suffered sulphate attack. The buyer wanted 35K knocked off the price but the vendor instead got the work done herself for 8K. The buyer backed out anyway, hence it's back on the market. Unless they're willing to take around 290K I think this one's a non-starter. I can't see them dropping down 12% but you never know, might be worth a try (or wait for them to reduce and then negotiate).

How did you get on with this one Kilby?

We almost settled on a property that we thought was perfect, after several further viewings we found a house twice the size, with bigger garden etc and nothing to be done.

Definitely pays to be patient and thorough.
  • We are in the process of waiting for completion with Miller homes for our new build. Contracts were recently exchanged. They had promised us a pre-plaster meeting which didn't happen and was only brought to light after we insisted on seeing the house at least from outside. It was then seen from the windows that the plaster was done. They apologized n have arranged a visit for us to go in and see the house.

Does anyone have any tips as to what questions to ask and what to look out for as this is the first time we will see our house from inside and I don't know yet how much of it is done from inside apart from the plastering.
    Thanks
  • Offer accepted, woohoo, lawyer instruct and expecting a call from the mortgage guy tomorrow first thing.
  • Offer accepted, woohoo, lawyer instruct and expecting a call from the mortgage guy tomorrow first thing.

Woohoo! Fab news, well done! Ours doesn't need total remodernisation but does need new kitchen and bathrooms. I'm finding that part pretty exciting to be honest - time to get those home design magazines ordered for you! :D
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • I've got the mortgage and the legal side of things sorted before I can focus on what I'll do with the house. At the end of all this I'll have about 13-15k to do as much as I can with the house.

I'm hoping I can get the chimney breasts both floors, front and back removed for about 3.5k. The full electrics and gas to be done for about 7k, still researching. That leaves me with 4k for a nice bathroom. I've decided that the kitchen will be the last thing that I fix up.

Exciting times ahead.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    How did you get on with this one Kilby?

We almost settled on a property that we thought was perfect, after several further viewings we found a house twice the size, with bigger garden etc and nothing to be done.

Definitely pays to be patient and thorough.

We haven't given feedback yet, but I might mention that we could buy more for the money and see if they reduce it. We're still waiting for the market to pick up again I guess! There's been nothing noteworthy for a good few weeks now so just going to stop refreshing RM every 10 seconds and forget about it for a little while!

The next 6 months might be quite volatile from an economic standpoint. Deutsche Bank, Brexit, Credit Suisse, U.S. elections and HTB changes, etc so I'm interested to see how it might affect interest rates, lending and house prices.
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We're going up to Cromer on Wednesday and I'd made a list of the (very few) houses I wanted to see - none of them perfect but worth looking at. Anyway, the one at the top of the list which has been on the market since April got withdrawn today!!! I think it's a sign...
  • elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    I've been lurking on here, so I'll join in on this thread. We have been house hunting for 18 months with no success. We have returned home to the area my family live in from Australia. Our issue is we need space for two work at home offices as well as sufficient bedrooms for us and our two children. The market here in SW Scotland is quiet so there's not a lot on to choose from. We are living in a cold, damp, too small house and it's getting wearing. We aren't earning good interest on our deposit either. Sigh.

We are now widening the net and looking at alternate areas. Re-Emigrating is also starting to look good, but lets not get too carried away just because our return hasn't gone 100% to plan!!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Seen a house we want - and are prepared to come out of mortgage deal. But the timing is a bit rubbish and I feel sick at the thought of leaving our home and moving!

Also got things to do to the house before selling so am now worrying the house we want will go, and that we won't get the price/valuation we're hoping for and won't afford it anyway.

ARGHHHH!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills