PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• hmd1987
    hmd1987 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i know it's cheeky but i don't suppose anyone is looking to buy in Preston, Lancashire?
  • We have just bought a 3 bed in the west of Glasgow.
    Been a bit of a journey and ended up with a fantastic private sale! The seller contacted me after a post I made on another forum.
    Toasted with champagne with the seller when we agreed a price. Under valuation which is unheard of up here. There are some genuine nice people out there.
    Offer in yesterday, mortgage approved today (it was already initiated after a previous sale fell through) and moving in date is the 18th April.
    I can't believe these things actually happen!
    LBM: 09/12/2008
    [strike]£36000[/strike] £0 on 4 cards and a personal loan. Debt Remedy. Signed with CCCS on 14/01/2009 started Feb 2009. Finished March 2016

Lessons learned and facing the struggle have made my life better than I ever thought it could be. Thank you Stepchange and DFW forum :beer:
  • jlaw4
    jlaw4 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi! I'd like to join this thread as i've recently started looking to buy and from reading all the success stories thought it'd be easy. I genuinley couldn't have been more wrong.

im looking in manchester and its suddenly gone a bit quiet, we viewed 6 last weekend and made offers on two but both went to best and final and miles over asking price. I just wasn't prepared for the stress at all, anyone else the same? trying to work & book viewings is hard work! and OH has taken a new job visiting london several times a month!

Just looking for some practical tips, they don't like ringing prior to putting on rightmove and most viewings are block and have about 12+ people... how on earth am i going to find anywhere?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck everyone (especially slinky! i read back through your journey hope you find something soon!)
  • jlaw4 wrote: »
    Hi! I'd like to join this thread as i've recently started looking to buy and from reading all the success stories thought it'd be easy. I genuinley couldn't have been more wrong.

im looking in manchester and its suddenly gone a bit quiet, we viewed 6 last weekend and made offers on two but both went to best and final and miles over asking price. I just wasn't prepared for the stress at all, anyone else the same? trying to work & book viewings is hard work! and OH has taken a new job visiting london several times a month!

Just looking for some practical tips, they don't like ringing prior to putting on rightmove and most viewings are block and have about 12+ people... how on earth am i going to find anywhere?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck everyone (especially slinky! i read back through your journey hope you find something soon!)

I am looking in the Manchester area too, having stupidly pulled out of one purchase on the day I was meant to exchange. It took me about six months to find that house so I don't know what I was thinking! I realised my mistake 2 days later and asked if the vendor would consider going ahead, but they had already had a higher offer from a cash buyer. There seems to be nothing coming on to the market, and anything worth looking at comes on to right move already sold 😞
  • jlaw4
    I am looking in the Manchester area too, having stupidly pulled out of one purchase on the day I was meant to exchange. It took me about six months to find that house so I don't know what I was thinking! I realised my mistake 2 days later and asked if the vendor would consider going ahead, but they had already had a higher offer from a cash buyer. There seems to be nothing coming on to the market, and anything worth looking at comes on to right move already sold ��

Where abouts in manchester are you looking? we're the eccles/swinton/urmston side. its crazy, i know that a particular EA post on facebook before they go live so try getting ahead that way... we are finding that FTB are prepared to pay 15-20K above the offers over price?! Wondering how many are going to come back with lower valuations.
    Did you have any particular reason for pulling out?
  • jlaw4 wrote: »
    Where abouts in manchester are you looking? we're the eccles/swinton/urmston side. its crazy, i know that a particular EA post on facebook before they go live so try getting ahead that way... we are finding that FTB are prepared to pay 15-20K above the offers over price?! Wondering how many are going to come back with lower valuations.
    Did you have any particular reason for pulling out?

I am looking in Bolton, it is a bit cheaper than Manchester itself.

It was a mistake to pull out, but I can't do anything about it now as they have a new buyer who is paying more than I was. I pulled out as I started to panic about not being able to afford all the work the house needed, and wrongly assumed I would still have to pay bills for the house I am living in now. It's not being sold because family are still living in it, but I realised when I move out they will be entitled to claim benefits - jobseekers, council tax benefit etc.
  • AD13
    AD13 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    we're looking in Manchester area too - finding that houses are coming up but then going REALLY quickly and for WAY over asking - like 10-20k! We have our limit and have been looking long enough to know how high we'd go for certain properties in certain locations but it's really frustrating that others are going so high to secure them when we think they're crazy!!

Been looking since August last year... and renewed our tenancy twice since then (so fees ££) :(

Just have to be patient and hope the right one will come up and we won't be outbid!
  • jlaw4
    What area of manchester are you looking in AD13? We were outbid on our first two despite putting an offer 6.5K over asking so goodness knows what it actually went for! we've started looking at properties that are still on the market a few weeks after being listed. People are going WAY over what properties are worth here at the moment and i'm just not prepared to be swept up into paying a load more for it!

I hate it when i see a block viewing as i know theres no way im getting it! Good luck & keep me posted how your getting on :)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Where we are looking has just popped up as one of the Sunday Times best places to live in Britain. Ouch. I bet that's going to cost us, IF we can ever find something. I think I must search rightmove about 5-10 times a day.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Well we now know that article 50 will be triggered next week, setting off a period a huge financial uncertainty.
    I think this will work in favour of buyers, it's a risky time to be being a house (and an even riskier time to be overpaying for one!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure