MOT failure - can I drive car

lisyloo
lisyloo Posts: 29,582
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
My car has just failed it's MOT but old MOT expires on 10th May.

Can I drive it around in the meantime e.g. to get it to a garage to get it fixed?

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In short yes.

But be aware of things that might put you or others in any danger.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Technically speaking yes.

What if you hit someone and the cause was due to something which failed it's MOT? How would that make you feel?
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    It's welding required but I don't think it's going to fall apart on me in the next few days.
    Thanks for the warning though.
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    What if you hit someone and the cause was due to something which failed it's MOT? How would that make you feel?

I will check with the garage that MOT'd it that as to whether it's safe or not.
    I suspect it is quite safe but I will check with the people who know about these things.
    If there is any hint it's not safe then I'll get it towed, but when I spoke to them this morning they did not show any kind of concern (but I WILL check).
  • going2die_rich
    going2die_rich Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Is your car insurance still valid though if you drive a car knowing full well it's below the accepted standards?

I am sure the car insurance companies will have small print saying it needs to be in a well maintened, road worthy manor, which if you fail an MOT, then surely it's not.

I'd suggest you only use it to literally get it to a garage, as I think it's not worth chancing it for anything more.
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    Is your car insurance still valid though if you drive a car knowing full well it's below the accepted standards?
    I don't honestly know, which is why I asked the question.
    I don't have my documents with me right now.
    I'd suggest you only use it to literally get it to a garage, as I think it's not worth chancing it for anything more.
    I aked the question as I didn't want to "chance" anything.
    Do you mean chancing legally or in practice.

I have checked the issue and there is a hole next to rear seat belt anchorage.
    I will not be carrying any rear passengers so I don't believe there is a safety issue in practice as I'll be the only person in the car and using the front seat belt.

If you think there are legal issues and that posts 2 and 3 are not right then please let me know.
    I have other transport at home to get around in the meantime so it's only a question of getting it to a garage.
  • Riq
    I was meaning if it was brake or steering related, but it sounds safe enough to me as long as these holes don't affect the integrity of the car.

My dad has failed his MOT before and driven his car to work a number of times before he booked it in for another test after he fixed it.

It still has a valid MOT certificate so I think you should be okay on the insurance.

But as with anything which we "think", it is best to ring your insurance.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Riq wrote: »
    I was meaning if it was brake or steering related, but it sounds safe enough to me as long as these holes don't affect the integrity of the car.

My dad has failed his MOT before and driven his car to work a number of times before he booked it in for another test after he fixed it.

It still has a valid MOT certificate so I think you should be okay on the insurance.

But as with anything which we "think", it is best to ring your insurance.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know how he feels.
  • Riq
    It's funny, because it's true. :cheesy:

Bad choice of words I admit.
  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 748
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I understand know the mot is connected to a national database once your car has failed its mot you could only drive it to get it repaired and you old mot is no longer valid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure