LV= Car Insurance Voucher

A couple of weeks ago I took out car insurance via the MSE link offering a £30 Amazon voucher. The email you get when you register for the deal states "The gift certificate will be sent once a genuine application is validated and three consecutive months’ premiums have been collected if you pay monthly or you have paid in full if you paid up front."

Well I paid in full, up front but haven't received the voucher yet. Has anybody else had this issue?

It's not at all clear how you follow this up with MSE. I know Martin makes a big thing of pointing out cashback through cashback sites is never guaranteed but are vouchers on this site guaranteed?

Comments

• I have exactly the same problem, i queried the voucher with LV and they said it takes 3 months.

I said that's only for people on installments and not people who pay in full like i did. So they said I'd have to contact Moneysavingexpert.com to ask.

However not sure who or how i'm supposed to contact anyone here?!

Anyone have any ideas please?
  • Davgb
    Davgb Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have been chasing the voucher route all week. I've 'registered' through the link several times, though it doesn't give any T&C's or explain what will happen. Then I found I couldn't get any of the links on the LV site to work unless I opened it in another tab, so was worried the voucher route might be lost. In the end, in desperation, I chatted online with the representative who said she couldn't advise since the Amazon voucher was nothing to do with them and I must contact MSE to check the terms and conditions. As above, the only way seems to be here through the forum, so help please. How does this all work. Do MSE/Amazon/voucher agent check with LV periodically to verify? What happens?
    Incidentally, the LV Home Insurance quote was SO much better than anything else I did proceed and accept the quote (getting urgent).
  • Hi all!

Thanks for flagging this up on the Site Feedback board Mikeeuropa.

The best thing to do is read our Site FAQs. If appropriate those will take you to the page where you can email our team directly.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Thanks for the response Andrea, last night I did stumble upon the FAQ you linked to and particularly this FAQ and realised the voucher was coming from this third party intermediary/affiliate website. I don't think it's very clear this type of deal goes through an affiliate but I've said that on the other thread so won't repeat myself here :D

So I did a bit of digging and realised VoucherWindow was the affiliate in question (from the email that was sent confirming my registration for the deal), went to their website which redirects to affiliatewindow.com and got their "contact us" email address.

I sent them an email last night which I'll include below...

Hi,

I'm very much hoping you can help.

Back on 14th August I followed a link on the MoneySavingExpert website which offered a £30 Amazon voucher if I took out LV= car insurance. I received the email from yourselves confirming the offer and I duly completed the purchase of the insurance.

The confirmation email stated "The gift certificate will be sent once a genuine application is validated and three consecutive months’ premiums have been collected if you pay monthly or you have paid in full if you paid up front." I paid in full, upfront so the voucher should have been sent straight away.

Unfortunately I haven't received the voucher yet and I'm wondering why not?

Best regards,

Mike

I'm pleased to say that by 8:56 this morning I had a reply ...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for getting in touch – I just wanted to confirm that the terms and conditions state that the gift certificate will be sent once the genuine application is validated and three months’ premiums have been collected – the voucher will therefore be sent over to you after three months of your purchase. In this case, your sale will be ‘validated’ or ‘confirmed’ no later than November.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

xxxxxx xxxx
    Account Manager

Not the answer I was looking for as it clearly was economical in the reading of the T & Cs. So I sent this reply ...

Hi xxxxxxx,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly but that's my point, 3 months premiums have been collected, in fact 12 months premiums have been collected because I've paid the lot up front and you can validate that with LV=.

Your original email clearly states "The gift certificate will be sent once a genuine application is validated and three consecutive months’ premiums have been collected if you pay monthly or you have paid in full if you paid up front." (I've added the bold to clarify) So your conditions are stating that payment occurs in either of 2 situations, if I add brackets for even more clarity...

"The gift certificate will be sent once a genuine application is validated and (three consecutive months’ premiums have been collected if you pay monthly) or (you have paid in full if you paid up front)."

So the certificate will be sent once a genuine application is validated and either A or B is true. In this case B (you have paid in full if you paid up front) is true.

In fact, the conditions could be read like this...

"The gift certificate will be sent once (a genuine application is validated and three consecutive months’ premiums have been collected if you pay monthly) or (you have paid in full if you paid up front)."

So the certificate will be sent if either A or B is true. In this case B (you have paid in full if you paid up front) is true.

So you probably ought to get your legal team to revisit the wording of the T & Cs. I meet either way of reading that statement having a valid policy in place and having paid in full.

If the intention was only to pay after 3 months had elapsed no matter what payment method had been used then your wording could have been much simpler, such as "The gift certificate will be sent after 3 months so long as this is a genuine application/the policy is in force (you choose) and payments are up to date."

Just for information, I'm not the only person on MSE in this situation, asking questions as to why it hasn't been paid yet, so it's not that I've got some funny way of looking at this :-)

Regards,

Mike

I'll update this thread when I get a reply.
  • Result!

Response from AffiliateWindow ...

"Hi Mike,

Thanks for highlighting this – LV= will of course pay your commission now.

Please could you confirm the reference number for me so that I can go and validate your sale?

Best,

xxxxxx xxxx
    Account Manage

So policy number has been sent, I'll confirm on here when I get the gift certificate.

The email address I send the initial query to was questions@affiliatewindow.com for those who want to contact them.
  • Davegb and metal_mickey, as a matter of interest, did you realise the Amazon voucher would be coming from an affiliate/third party company that was forwarding us to LV= rather than direct from LV= (or MSE for that matter?)
  • Well I'll give it to them, they've been pretty quick to respond each time.

And yes, I've now received my voucher :j
  • Mikeeuropa, I wasn't sure where the voucher was coming from. As mentioned in my earlier post, I had contacted LV who said they had nothing to to do with it and to contact MSE, which is where I found this forum as my only clear route. I did have an inkling it may be an intermediary link but also could find no contact. Many thanks for furnishing it.
  • I wasn't sure where it was coming from either which was why i contacted LV first, then came on here.

It doesn't state anywhere its through an affiliate, although from passed experience i know its these companies who are paid to do the promotion (i met a guy who runs a company doing these type of promotions for cereals etc).

My girlfriend recently purchased an Aviva policy and it was emailed through soon after without any chasing.

Well done Mike for your investigating and comprehensive forum'ing :T

I have sent an email to the address you advised above and we'll see what happens. I actually followed the link before the cut off date and purchased after date from the original quote screen so i'll keeo you posted.

FYI, moneysavingexpert.com advertised this promotion the following week after its supposed expiration and the voucher window still confirmed/granted the transaction too.
  • Just thought I'd update. After reading Mikeeuropas comprehensive post above (thank you) I immediately followed the same path and did the same thing. That was on the 14th September. Still haven't had any response so I've just emailed them again.
    As a general comment MSE. I really appreciate MSE and have become a big fan. Its impartiality is so important. Quite understandable then when reading item four on the FAQ's, 'Where is my home insurance cashback?' that MSE mentions...no deals and...having to badger etc. However, that means MSE have little control over the affiliates and perhaps that could be made very clear on clicking the button that we leave the 'protection' of MSE?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure