Cat D write-off?

Comments

• carl310166: Did you ever get your Cat D motorbike? The reason im asking is i too am looking at a cat D bike & would appreciate any advice you could give with regards any paperwork that needs checking, things to look for etc. :o:confused:
    Im new to all this but thanks for your support & patience :A :j
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    woodall001 wrote:
    I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.
    You're on dodgy ground there. You have to declare anything that may affect the condition or value of the vehicle otherwise you may find you're not insured when you need it. If you do claim they will then look at the HPI register and find out anyway.
    Not being asked is, sadly, no excuse. If they asked all possible questions it would take all year to fill out a quotation request ;)
    If you feel it won't make a difference to the policy cost then you may as well just tell them. If you feel it will make a difference then you're withholding information. In either case honesty gives the best policy.
    Can I help?
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    The insurance companies will KNOW it is a Category D Write-Off. The owner may well not know. There is no obligation TO know.

There is also NO obligation to notify that it was written off. Being 'written off' for Categories C and D is only a financial calculation.

If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • iainkirk wrote:
    If it was Category A or B, this would show on vehicle databases and the insurance would likely be refused anyway.

If it was Cat A or B, it shouldn't be on the road, so won't need insurance!!
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • janet73
    janet73 Posts: 2 Newbie
    hi,
    also have the same dilemna , bought a car, wasnt told it was cat.D write off, seller claims there was no structural damage, the car drives perfectly,
    who can give me an advice on insurance,as the opinions online are so different saying that you do have to let them know and saying you dont. who is right.pls. advice asap
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    carl310166 wrote: »
    I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
    and i asked other people.

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.

The webpage cannot be found
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    raskazz wrote: »
    It's common that insurers will ask for an engineer's report before covering a vehicle that has been a previous total loss. Some will only give third-party only cover or Road Traffic Act cover until this is provided.

The vehicle must have also passed a vehicle identity check (VIC) if it was write-off category A, B or C.

Your main concern with a category D total loss is that the vehicle is maintained in a roadworthy condition, and even if it was repaired fully then be aware that the market value of the car is reduced and hence any payout from an insurer will also be reduced.

Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B can’t be repaired and cat D doesn’t need the check
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    vaio wrote: »
    Only cat C need the VIC, cat A & B can’t be repaired and cat D doesn’t need the check

Although under the current rules category A and B write-offs shouldn't be returned to the road, the procedure in dealing with write-offs was changed in 2003 IIRC, and so in theory category B write offs from before the changes can still be on the road. It is these that would still have had to pass the VIC.
  • im looking at buying a car but its a category c write off. i have no idea how this all works. do i get the vic before i do the work needed or after? also can i even drive i if i go to pick it up? i dont wanna do anything risky or illegal.

if you can help the please email me: [EMAIL="sexykelly1134@hotmail.co.uk"]sexykelly1134@hotmail.co.uk[/EMAIL]

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport