first direct Customer Service

Options
I opened a first direct Current Account and, in order to open a Regular Saver Account, phoned 03 456 100 100.
Spoke to first direct Customer Service and, to set up my account with telephone password etc., answered all their questions.

Attempted to activate first direct Online Banking for 10 days, only to receive, 'Sorry, we can't continue with your request because we are experiencing system problems. Please try again later.'

I then received a letter from first direct that states, 'We believe that your personal details have been used by another person to impersonate you here at first direct. We are committed to doing all we can to prevent fraud so we intend to record the impersonation with CIFAS, the UK's Fraud Prevention Service. This involves placing a marker against your current and previous address, which indicates to other organisations you have been the victim of an impersonation and your name and/or address have been used by another person.'

I asked first direct to explain the logic
if, as first direct believes, my personal details have been used by another person to impersonate me and my home address, why did first direct post a letter addressed to that person at that address.

No reply!

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wordy-Wise wrote: »
    why did first direct post a letter addressed to that person at that address.

What do you suggest they should have done instead?

It seems that the worst outcome would be that they would let the impersonator know that they had been discovered - which I doubt the bank would consider to be a bad thing.

Provided their letter did not reveal anything more to any impersonator than they would already know, I can't see why this would be a problem.

The issue for banks like FD that don't have High Street branches is that they can't just ask you to go in and prove your identity, so, in a situation where they don't know whether they are communicating with you or an impersonator, it seems wise to just say that they won't deal with you any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure