Sail to New York and back?? is it possible?

I've spent days trying to find a way to sail to New York and back, Cunard do sail from Southampton which takes 6 days there and 6 back, the only options there seems to be are to sail 6 days there, spend the day in New York then sail 6 days back which seems a long way to go for a few hours. The other option is to sail 6 days there then wait for that ship to sail back to Southampton (6days) then back to New York (another 6 days) before returning, which means a stay of 12 days in New York which i think is a bit long, especially when you add in the 12 days return travel .

Has anybody done this trip and is there anyway that we could do it with a 3 or 4 day stay in New York? Btw flying is deffo out of the question, alot easier i know but that's the way it has to be.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• is there any way you could sail out with cunard and come back with a different compny, or vice versa? that seems to be the only way to do it if you didn't want to spend too long in new york.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • When do you want to travel? Cunard are the main cruise line going into NY, but you can sometimes come back from a different port (depends on the time of year however)
    [FONT=&quot]I am a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are S0466/3973. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. Atol numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.[/FONT]
  • Or fly one-way and sail the other?
  • BTW 12 days in New York is not enough IMO - I want to move there.
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    BTW 12 days in New York is not enough IMO - I want to move there.

12 days in New York is more than enough! Its a great city, but lets be honest - a long weekend is fine.
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Or fly one-way and sail the other?
    Read the OPs first post.
  • bcl999
    edited 8 February 2010 at 4:43PM
    Don't bother reading the original reply below! Just realised the repositioning crossing takes 14 days so you'd be away just about as long as if you'd taken QM2 both ways and stayed the 12 nights in between. Have to say I now think you are not going to be able to do this (due to fact QM2 is fastest and the repositioning cruises "dawdle" i.e calling in Azors, etc. Unless you dedide to do a QM2 "turnaround" with only the day in NYC.

My original reply:
    It may just be possible if you can fit in a QM2 crossing that gets in a few days before one of the repositioning cruises leave. You would have to be very flexible with your dates as it only happens say twice a year - when the cruise ships come over to Europe for summer and then when they go back again for teh winter in the Caribbean. Even then, only a few call into or leave from New York, ,most go from Florida.

For example, there is a MSC repostioning cruise on the Poesia which leaves Port Everglades on 27 April and calls in at New York on 30 April. It's likely that you can book to join at New York. Looking at Cunard, the only westbound crossing around that time leaves S'hampton on 22 April arrivng NYC 29 April, so it would only give you one night in New York. (QM2 usually arrives early and you can ask to get off first. Poesia is supposed to be in port till 11pm on the 30th and you might not need to embark until 9pm, so you could have 2 full days there.)

Bad luck this time with the timings but I hope I've given some idea of how you might eventually find 2 crossings that will give you a few days in New York. It won't be easy. ANd, of course, int he autumn, you'll be looking at repsotioning cruises westbound and the QM2 crossing eastbound.

(I have to say I have done a westbound QM2 crossing (flew back) and found it something of an anti-climax. I had expected to enjoy the cruise more than NYC but it was quite the opposite- I'd go back to New York in a second but I wouldn't do the TA crossing again.)
  • Thanks for all the advise, agree with bcl999, i would have to jiggle around the days to find a repositioning ship, we are planning to go between feb and april next year but we are really flexible about the date so i think that is prob the best route.
  • bcl999
    Just came across this when i was browsing some cruise agent sites this afternoon - http://www.socruise.com/view-cruise/122311/

Any use to you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport