Elsien
    Dad went nuts for frozen frubes
    Sweets also go down well

OH is loving flavoured water
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Ask him and deliver on it.

But chat to him while your there.

A SIM card with big data allowance would do me.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd ask him what he would like, especially as it may depend on how he feels with the chemo.

The most useful things when I was in hospital were an eye mask and ear plugs (wax, not foam). Also useful were an insulated water bottle (meant a cold drink rather than the luke warm water once its initial chill has worn off), decent hand wash (the hospital stuff was very drying), good hand cream and mints to suck. An ice lolly went down a treat too.

Does he have anyone to wash his clothes/pyjamas? Could he be taken out of the ward in a wheelchair? A change of scene can be a real bonus.

Your company is probably the best gift ot all.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,527
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure about the company aspect - not spoken to him in years because when we visited the family he'd hide himself away as soon as we got there. But willing to give it a go although lord knows what we'll find to talk about.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • The main thing will be the company as in just a person yo be with him for a little while. He will not care that you have not spoken in years or dont have the same interests.

A few nibbles would be fine.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Space cakes.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    mellymoo74 wrote: »
    Elsien
    Dad went nuts for frozen frubes
    Sweets also go down well

OH is loving flavoured water

Oooo I just remembered, I went bonkers for Jubblys! As I was having treatment in winter they weren't easy to come by so my girls bought them wherever they saw them. We now have most of the UK's supply of them.... and I'm better! Not sure I could face any now..... :rotfl::rotfl:
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    Not sure about the company aspect - not spoken to him in years because when we visited the family he'd hide himself away as soon as we got there. But willing to give it a go although lord knows what we'll find to talk about.

He might just like smeone to be there, not necessarily talking lots. When I was in hospital, OH spent most of the time with me but brought books and crosswords for himself. You could do something similar and then play it by ear.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • alk29
    alk29 Posts: 45
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We got my aunt a hamper with various bits in.

The things she used most from it were an insulated mug to keep cold drinks cold / hot drinks hot and a small fleece throw (cheap one from Primark) that she could either use as an extra cover or put round her shoulders. Normally the wards were very warm but close to the aircon vents it was pretty chilly and she felt the extremes of hot and cold a lot more than normal.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What about a pack of cards? You can sit and play together, and he can play them when you've gone if he feels up to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure