We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Been there, done that. :D

The house wasn't open on the day we visited, but some of it was being used by the local WI here for an event, so we were inside part of it.

I found the gardens a bit of a disappointment, but I understand the present owners hadn't been working on them for very long at that time.

Didn't you have a busy weekend!

Thanks for the heads-up re: the gardens Dave, hopefully by the time we get to visit they'll have had a chance to do some more ;)

Yep, we certainly did - and the business was in overdrive whilst we were absent too.....cue lots of parcel wrapping now we're home, lol! We even found time to pick up some excellent stock whilst down in East Sussex, so DH will be busy listing over the next few days.....as well as building an outdoor run/house for our house cats so they can get a bit of fresh air when the weather is kind :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    heading back through DH's spiritual home (the New Forest ;))

phoebe.. have you lived here too ?
  • phoebe1989seb
    edited 22 June 2015 at 8:11PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    heading back through DH's spiritual home (the New Forest ;))

phoebe.. have you lived here too ?

No Alfie, but DH lived nearby as a child and he and his siblings spent much of their childhood exploring the forest. He simply adores it, as do most of his family - his parents' ashes (well, half of each of them!) are scattered there. We often went for long walks there when we lived in Hampshire.....and the occasional camping trip (which I hated, lol!) :D

• alfie_1
    First Post
    No Alfie, but DH lived nearby as a child and he and his siblings spent much of their childhood exploring the forest. He simply adores it, as do most of his family - his parents' ashes (well, half of each of them!) are scattered there. We often went for long walks there when we lived in Hampshire.....and the occasional camping trip (which I hated, lol!) :D

oh what part of the forest did he live in ? ive lived NF all my life, know every corner :rotfl:
    where did you live in Hampshire ?
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Been brought a hire car, so at least we can get out & about although we still have old car.

Been a bit of a waste of a day - one of those one step forward, three back.

Just found a bath damaged that was new & advertised for sale as we / I changed my mind to a free standing one. I had folks coming to look today but they didn't want it. I cannot do owt right today.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds as though you are having a !!!!! day choulle.. Hope you get a better day tomorrow...

Just keep on remembering you are on the last lap now... You have come sooooooo far, not long now, and you will be in that fab house...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • choille
    The little loo is still coming out all streaky after I've painted it - yet again. I cannot work it out at all at all. It is green gypsum plaster board in there, but it was under-coated, so I would have thought it should be fine, but after a refill again coz of bodged plaster work job I painted it again & it's looking very patchy indeed, so I redid the back wall, just been out there & it still looks streaky. I gave the paint a damn good stir, so I'm jiggered if I know what's causing it.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    choille wrote: »
    The little loo is still coming out all streaky after I've painted it - yet again. I cannot work it out at all at all. It is green gypsum plaster board in there, but it was under-coated, so I would have thought it should be fine, but after a refill again coz of bodged plaster work job I painted it again & it's looking very patchy indeed, so I redid the back wall, just been out there & it still looks streaky. I gave the paint a damn good stir, so I'm jiggered if I know what's causing it.

maybe try a coat of stain cover then paint your color. I know you hav to be carefull that an oil based paint hasn't been put on "not yet dried" plaster . it absorbes the oils and keeps seeping them. or even an exterior paint which is thicker and tougher. you may be able to add your color to it but check with a paint shop... good luck :o

could be a mix of different plaster if re done ?
  • choille
    Hi Alfie - It's all water based paint I'm using.

I have a guy coming tomorrow who is a very good plasterer - he comes well recommended,so I'll ask him. He is coming to sort out the mess that's been made. Hope he does come tomorrow.

Things are really dragging on.
  • phoebe1989seb
    edited 17 January 2016 at 4:43PM
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    oh what part of the forest did he live in ? ive lived NF all my life, know every corner :rotfl:
    where did you live in Hampshire ?

He didn't - his family lived in Dorset originally, then moved to the outskirts of Southampton.......

Apologies for boring those that have already seen it, but our old house here.....Pics show as it was when we sold except addition of an Aga. New owners bought almost my entire taxidermy collection - two hundred antique butterfly frames for starters - and a fair few items of furniture.

.....and yes, I did the painting, lol......

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport