PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,156
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HURRAH it's friday....and my working week is over! I almost walked out of work today , manager is not my favourite person at the moment and I did not like how he has been all week! Will see how it goes next week and might speak to him!

anyway....it is Friday, he left at 1pm so had the rest of the afternoon with one of my young colleagues and we had a very pleasant afternoon ( and a bit of a moan!!) .

Nice drive home, the jacaranda trees are starting to bloom so purple trees everywhere! Love them!

My girls had hoovered , washed & hung out washing, done some ironing, watered the veggies .

My boys were home early.

Using a $5 off voucher to buy a phone top up that is already discounted.

A customer gave me a book to read, which was kind of her to think of me.

Sat with a friend on my almost non existent breaks ( an issue!) and she has invited us over for supper week after next!

Wrapped some Christmas gifts last night....love wrapping things!

I go home 2 weeks today...so need to focus my mind on good things, happy times and looking forward to catch up with everyone back home.

Poorly people get better soon. Have a good day:)
  • Mcculloch - sorry to hear about Rummy - however, it's nice to hear that there are other options for him , as we both know this isn't always possible in the racing world . I should imagine that his owners would have gone that extra mile for him anyway , as from the footage you gave us its seems as if they would rather go without to see their horses go without.

VJsmum ((hugs)) to you and your Dad . I agree it doesn't get any less painful it just feels "different".

Sparrer ((hugs)) sounds like you are feeling a bit unsettled at the moment - I hope that you are ok??

Kittikins -Sorry ! I am so GLAD that CRB's are not portable - trust me in my line of business it's essential . CRB's are technically only valid on the day that they are issued. I have been involved in many Safeguarding Investigations where the employers have not made the appropriate checks on their employees .....enough said .You are, of course lovely.
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    my 5
    1. chicken the hens have yet to see snow. Watch this space for info.
    2. I think it is going to snow today--yippee
    3. kedgeree for luch, a nice change
    4. working round to deciding to make some marmalade
    5. getting free hotwater in the kettle on top of the woodburner
    and another
    6. spoke to an installer of solar panels last night [we are not having them just was nattering to someone] , he asked our elec usage. Its 2080kilowatts a year. Approx £300. He said we are the greenest people he has ever met! and how do we do it?
    I replied I am at home all day with lights on and a computer running all day and half the night. I told him
    a. low energy light bulbs
    b. no telly
    c. no immersion heater
    d. no drier
    e. no electric heating fans etc
    f. energy efficient appliances. I cook on electric not gas BTW and bake bread regularly.
    Just though I'd share.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Rummy's former owners have just posted on his FB page that the plan is for him to go showjumping! :j :j :j :j

I'm absolutely delighted and not surprised, he's a natural jumper and knew how to put himself right for a fence. That's why it was all the more galling when he was hurt, the public never got to see that.

There was a coloured horse who jumped really well in the Women's Modern Pentathlon at the Olympics this year - he was far better than most of the others.

Showjumpers normally have a long career, six is young for a showjumper and Rummy's not five until next July. Fingers crossed that he recovers well and that the new dream comes true.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That's okay Chicken, I'm not offended :) It just seems odd that I will soon have 6 certificates, 4 given by the local authority I'm going to be working for and 2 more national ones. Wish it could be more streamlined, online and instant but obviously very happy that people are checked in some way!! We occasionally have issues with PTA events at DD's school where parents want to stay and help ad hoc mainly to be with their little darlings, but we have to tell them that unless they have a CRB for volunteering at that particular school, they can't, for child protection reasons......

1. Just had a lovely phone call from one of my new colleagues - and am going to be doing a few hours helping out there probably every day next week! It'll be great to ease myself in gently to the hustle and bustle of the school and fantastic that they are so keen to have me :) (as I am to have them!!)

2. DD's off school today with her cold:( but also :) as she's resting, cuddling me, and its making me have a nice lazy snuggly day as well. She's getting much better, probably helped by the Mickey Mouse DVD I gave her from her advent calendar this morning ;) Parental visit is hopefully just postponed til tomorrow so that my mum doesn't catch anything nasty - I want to make lots of lovely food for them, the last meals in our non-existent kitchen before we get real cupboards and stuff!

3. Got our first Christmas card through the post. I'm not bah-humbug about cards, don't send many due to postage costs, and will probably pop over to see the senders and give them a present for their baby rather than post a card - it gives us an excuse to cuddle the baby (when DD's back to fighting fitness of course!)

4. Found the perfect present for the afore-mentioned baby - a CD of lullaby versions of rock classics, brand new from my stall at the school fete :) I knew I wanted it either for DD as she's such a baby at nearly 8, or for one of my friend's babies, but baby B is the perfect recipient for the CD, as he's a funky rockstar babe :)

5. Hoping for a NSD today, am starting to panic about how long my redundancy is going to last with the new job being so poorly paid and no tax credits available until April (fingers crossed the goalposts don't change too much!).

6. DD shared some chocolate buttons with me - told you she was getting better ;)

Will no doubt be back with more later on, off to heat up some soup and put the heating back on, it's flipping freezing!

McCulloch - so pleased Rummy's going to be a showjumper, I love, love, love show jumping :)
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Blackbeard_of_Perranporth Posts: 7,605
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 1:07PM
    Chicks and Kits You're right, CRBs are a [STRIKE]pain[/STRIKE], and the courses I could go on and on and on and on. One recent I explained that an ex attendee at a centre, when she came of an age over and above the permitted, made it certain that ... Dear dear. And it happens. And it will happen again. Been like it for years. I suppose on the next update will be interesting with repsect to the Leeds DJ and the fallout from that. Note to the ex Lady Black Flattering it is, but the price of a ruck is known.

5 That gots me going that, andf I suppose gals would not understand. But why do we do that bloody work anyway. Do I get any reward for spotted modloons of teenagers, ranting and bloody raving once a month on a Friday night. No I do not. Pain for the Harris it really is. Not worth it is it. No. Good chat this morn over a tea, free at Waitrose cos I nicked Lady Black's card. Ex of the youth group, and a bloody right one at that. Well sometiomes she was. Setlted now. Quite open, and chatted about her wants and her life. Good it is to be at the start, when she realises that mine is so long to go as well. Nice, whe helped me pack. Trust me, that is why we do it, oh and iut is good that the pension fund in this repect is exp[anding. Just as in Mr Chips, Goodbye and he had no children, but had hundreds!

4 Thoughts for Chas, one of my ex colleagues. Has got dementia. Hugs.

3 Got soem nice wobbleade in for the dead man's chest. Should see me right till the morrows

2 Rugby in the morning, could be a cracker. Top Table clash and winner goes top. Journey home will be interesting.

1 Homewards
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hope Rummy doesnt suffer any more injury jumping , torn ligaments/tendons are NEVER the same as before the injury. Its a pity they cant just hack him about and enjoy him that way. I'd never risk any of mine like that. I dont think the showjumping thing is good news at all I'm afraid.
  • 1. I counted up what was in our copper jar and we have the grand total of £11, :D I will change it at the bank on Monday.

2 I put some more photos into frames this morning.

3. I am going to look and see if there are any money-off vouchers we can use for our meal out next week.:money:

4. I have chunky vegetable/ lentil soup leftovers which I am going to turn into a curry tonight.

5. I'm going downstairs for a hot water bottle, a chocolate bar and a cup of tea in a minute. I bought a cheeky celeb mag with some spare 5p pieces that were in the copper jar so I will read that soon.
  • I fear it was the Kebab seller, Philipi the Greek who did it!
  • Quick five for today;

1. Turkey drumstick experiment went well. Off to make turkey pot pies for tonight's tea and some for the freezer. 6 portions from a £2 bit of bird, not bad.

2. Had lunch out with a friend, quite mse as it was a cheap place and it was lovely.

3. Catch up with a different friend and lovely snuggles off her baby daughter.

4. It's my birthday tomorrow and I've had lots of cards and pressies in the post, looking forward to opening them all in the morning.

5. Bought my parsnips from the market for the first time and will be doing so again. Cheap and the lad what served me was fantastic, you don't get service like that in shops!
    Comper, Blogger & OS-er
    Competition prizes: £6/£2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family