HELP! DVLA fine for un-taxed vehicle

Hi All
Im hoping someone can offer some advice. I made the mistake of moving house and not changing my address, and stupidly didnt check whether my vehicle needed taxing for several months! One morning, my car was clamped and then i obviously knew! I paid DVLA £100 to unclamp my car and then paid £220 to tax my vehicle for the year. I then received a further letter to pay £80.00 for not taxing my vehicle which i also paid. I have now received another letter stating my car was seen unlicensed and are now wanting to fine me a further £164. I recently lost my job and had to borrow money initially to pay, i understand it was my own fault for not changing my address in the first place, which i paid £180.00 for, and when you have no money this is a lot of money! I just feel like they are just trying to get more money out of me when i just dont have it! Is there anyway out of paying more to DVLA?:(:(:(

Comments

• Write to them and list the fines already paid and say you think this one is a duplicate/parallel one and issued in error and see what happens? Send it recorded. You could call them but then you have no record so if they tell you 'Ok We'll cancel it' and they don't, you can't prove what was said.

I understand you can be fined up to £1,000 for having an untaxed car on the road but don't know what the 'standard' amount is and if indeed there is any standard amount of fine. Maybe someone else can help on that.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Write to them and list the fines already paid and say you think this one is a duplicate/parallel one and issued in error and see what happens? Send it recorded. You could call them but then you have no record so if they tell you 'Ok We'll cancel it' and they don't, you can't prove what was said.

I understand you can be fined up to £1,000 for having an untaxed car on the road but don't know what the 'standard' amount is and if indeed there is any standard amount of fine. Maybe someone else can help on that.

Fines are salary linked in court. But there is a minimum, I forget what it is top of my head.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

£1000 is the maximum fine awarded by a court, the standard amount is generally income related.

Claims by the DVLA are generally an out of court settlement offer, not a fine, and if not accepted may result in prosecution in magistrate's court.
  • £1000 is the maximum fine awarded by a court, the standard amount is generally income related.

So the OP received various fines in the post; how do DVLA know what the OP's income is?
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 1:11PM
    So the OP received various fines in the post; how do DVLA know what the OP's income is?

Only a court can issue a fine, the DVLA only issue fixed penalties or 'out of court settlement offers' and claims for outstanding Vehicle Excise Duty.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    You paid a release fee and your tax

Now you pay a fine for not taxing it

It's extortionate I know but that's how it is and the letter is correct
  • arcon5 wrote: »
    You paid a release fee and your tax

Now you pay a fine for not taxing it

It's extortionate I know but that's how it is and the letter is correct

No, the OP paid a fine as well of £80 and has now received a second fine.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 3:48PM
    DVLA won't stop until they get their money, they may change what they're fining you for if you make excuses, but they'll get their money one way or another.

The enforcement side of DVLA are complete scum and they only go after easy targets, but if you register your car to a fake name/address keep it untaxed/uninsured (just say it's for religious reasons) and they don't bother chasing.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    DVLA won't stop until they get their money, they may change what they're fining you for if you make excuses, but they'll get their money one way or another.

The enforcement side of DVLA are complete scum and they only go after easy targets, but if you register your car to a fake name/address keep it untaxed/uninsured (just say it's for religious reasons) and they don't bother chasing.

How has this poster got 11k posts? Surely the forum team should step in?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 6:15PM
    Guest101 wrote: »
    How has this poster got 11k posts? Surely the forum team should step in?

What issue do you have with my post?

It's perfectly factual, it may not be very helpful in solving the OP problem, but it may well stop them wasting time and accruing yet more fines.

The DVLA do go after soft targets, you can guarantee if you don't insure your car, they'll be on your back in days. So why does Bradford still have more uninsured cars than anywhere else in the country?
    Because traceable, working taxing payers are easy targets.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure