First time credit card

Hi,

I got myself into debt a few years back but have managed to pay most of it off and my credit report looks healthy again.

I have a holiday coming up and I'd like to get a credit card incase I run short of cash while I'm away. I estimate I'll only need 300 pounds max.

Usually because my credit record sucks I would cancel one of my larger payments to free up money while away then pay up as soon as I get back. This has worked previously and I haven't incurred any black marks on my credit report doing it this way.

This year though i thought it might be better to get a credit card instead.

Which type of card would you recommend? I've never had a credit card before.

Thanks.

Comments

• PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Try the Marbles card, they have an eligibility checker that will give you a good indication if you will be accepted before doing a full credit application, this won't lower your credit score.

https://www.marbles.com/
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    odysseus wrote: »
    Usually because my credit record sucks I would cancel one of my larger payments to free up money while away then pay up as soon as I get back. This has worked previously and I haven't incurred any black marks on my credit report doing it this way.

This is a high risk strategy that you should avoid - you won't always be lucky and a 6 year blot on your history is not what you want
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    odysseus wrote: »
    Hi,

I got myself into debt a few years back but have managed to pay most of it off and my credit report looks healthy again.

I have a holiday coming up and I'd like to get a credit card incase I run short of cash while I'm away. I estimate I'll only need 300 pounds max.

This year though i thought it might be better to get a credit card instead.

Which type of card would you recommend? I've never had a credit card before.

Thanks.

But why does it suck? Do you have a history of making late payments / defaults / CCJs?

Do you not have a budget so that every month there are no unexpected bills?

Or are you just speculating that you have a poor credit history, rather than having checked all 3 of your files to know for certain?

You would need a travel credit card. Ignore the Marbles recommendation above. There are eligibility checkers against each card:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Ignore the Marbles recommendation above.
    Why ignore my post?
    The OP has indicated he/she has a limited or poor credit history - it does not matter what sort of credit the OP gets as long as it works :think:
    Shop around by all means but don't discard someones advice simply because you have assumed certain factors!
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    Why ignore my post?
    The OP has indicated he/she has a limited or poor credit history - it does not matter what sort of credit the OP gets as long as it works :think:
    Shop around by all means but don't discard someones advice simply because you have assumed certain factors!

Because OP has specifically mentioned:
    I have a holiday coming up and I'd like to get a credit card incase I run short of cash while I'm away.

The Marbles credit card is a subprime card which has zero benefits for use whilst abroad:
    If you use your marbles card abroad you will pay a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.95%. If you withdraw cash abroad, you will also pay a cash fee of 3% (minimum £3).

Just because the OP said their 'credit record sucks' means nothing. Further info is required - as I already specified.

And even if the OP does indeed have a poor credit history, there are far better options for credit cards than the one you have suggested, e.g. Aqua:
    http://welcometo.aquacard.co.uk/v0/core/reward-s/?9110693AA002DAG01100
    The Aqua Reward card is a good all-rounder, designed for people with a less-than-stellar credit score. You'll get 0.5% cashback (max £100/yr) on spending – even abroad – but don't use this as an excuse for overspending on the card.
    The card doesn't levy a charge for spending abroad (most cards charge a 3%-or-so fee) making this a good card to take overseas.

So like I said, ignore the post about applying for a Marbles credit card.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure