PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor doing work after exchange

Options

Comments

• Jcakes
    Jcakes Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I mean that if they had the work planned in to be carried out back in Feb as the estate agent mentioned then they would have been able to do it then while the property was on the market.

However it appears they have done it now after exchange. I tend agree with another poster that they have done it to help them move out as thst gate now avoids you having to take things up the front steps. Since they have not mentioned they were doing the work part of me also thinks it's temporary & they will rebuild the wall next week. Otherwise I don't understand their logic or how they think they can just go knocking down walls.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jcakes wrote: »
    However it appears they have done it now after exchange.

Do you know that for a fact? did you check on the house a day or two before exchange? Just because the skip is there now doesn't mean it has only just been filled. Sometimes people have skips outside for weeks/months, maybe they decided to leave it as they want to fill it up with some items from the house which they don't want to take with them.

I am not sure on the rules on doing work on a house before exchange, is it the vendors responsibility to advise of any changes/building work or the buyers to check?

If the later you are going to have to prove some how that this work was done after exchange.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You exchanged on Friday and can see a pile of bricks and a skip now. It's not compelling evidence that the work was done after exchange.

People in general aren't psychotic, and wouldn't spend money improving a house they are about to leave.

My money's on this job being started a while ago, and them being good people and finishing it off rather than leaving a big hole.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a chance when this work was mentioned at the viewing etc that the vendors thought you thought the gate etc was a good idea? Maybe they thought that they were obliged to do it as they had mentioned it? Hell, maybe they are just nice people and thought they would do it anyway?

All I am saying is, dont go in feet first - if for some bizarre reason this work is for you and at their expense, you dont want to come across as ungrateful.
  • Jcakes
    Options
    I don't know if the vendors were aware that we knew they planned to do the work as the estate agent said in passing that they were planning on doing it. To be honest didn't really get into a discussion on it with the estate agent it was more just a passing comment.

No we can't say for certain when the work started but if not last few days then last couple weeks as it wasn't there couple of weeks ago when we went past.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me that the vendors had always planned to do it and probably felt that they ought to do what they said they'd do. As the skip was there it was probably ordered and/or delivered prior to exchange, many places work half day Maunday Thursday and Friday was a bank holiday. This implies that the work was in fact started prior to exchange.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    You exchanged on Friday and can see a pile of bricks and a skip now. It's not compelling evidence that the work was done after exchange.

People in general aren't psychotic, and wouldn't spend money improving a house they are about to leave.

My money's on this job being started a while ago, and them being good people and finishing it off rather than leaving a big hole.

It's a fait accompli. The main thing is that the vendors complete it.

Scrutinise the standard conditions.
    https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/articles/standard-conditions-of-sale/

This states:
    "3.2 Physical state
    3.2.1 The buyer accepts the property in the physical state it is in at the date of the contract unless the seller is building or converting it."

If the sellers started work before exchange, they should have downed tools when contracts were exchanged, but be grateful if they complete it!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you were there, why didnt you just knock on the door and ask?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Jcakes
    Options
    We did knock on the door there was nobody in.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go and knock on the door today so that you know what to say to your solicitors about this tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure