Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Comments

• Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Regarding the north/ south thing - I know a few Geordies . Been to Newcastle a couple of times . They're not all friendly ; Ie in a chip shop,or in a pub they hear the accent and you have to be on your guard a bit ;)

Aye well, you've been going to the wrong places then :D
  • I live in a beautiful part of rural North Yorkshire. You could buy a really nice 2 bed house around here for £150k and there are jobs available. A lot of people move here from more expensive areas and you would find plenty of people who have moved North living in the same town/village. I think it would be easier to make friends than you might think.

BUT it would be a culture shock - my nearest Tesc@ is 20 miles away. Public transport is rubbish. Our local market towns are being overtaken by charity shops and pound shops and you have to travel for any sort of entertainment.

So I guess its weighing up the pros and cons. Could you see yourself living somewhere rural?

Or he could move to Liverpool, where in the NICE bits you can get a 3 bed semi for £130K 1/2 mile from a Aldi, 3 mins from a 30 minute bus service, 4 miles from the Motorway, 4 miles from the beach, 200 yards from a country park. :rotfl:

Pretty much anywhere north of crewe will do. :T
  • Marisco wrote: »
    Aye well, you've been going to the wrong places then :D

south shields;)
  • I live in a beautiful part of rural North Yorkshire. You could buy a really nice 2 bed house around here for £150k and there are jobs available. A lot of people move here from more expensive areas and you would find plenty of people who have moved North living in the same town/village. I think it would be easier to make friends than you might think.

BUT it would be a culture shock - my nearest Tesc@ is 20 miles away. Public transport is rubbish. Our local market towns are being overtaken by charity shops and pound shops and you have to travel for any sort of entertainment.

So I guess its weighing up the pros and cons. Could you see yourself living somewhere rural?

Not really. One thing London has got, is good transport links,
    (we all moan at times:)),plus the fact that if I need to buy a loaf of bread, I don't need to jump in a car and drive 10 miles up the road.
    It does sound nice tho' ;)
  • Or he could move to Liverpool, where in the NICE bits you can get a 3 bed semi for £130K 1/2 mile from a Aldi, 3 mins from a 30 minute bus service, 4 miles from the Motorway, 4 miles from the beach, 200 yards from a country park. :rotfl:

Pretty much anywhere north of crewe will do. :T
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    south shields;)

Ah the sanddancers, you should've tried the [STRIKE]best[/STRIKE] north side :D
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I think some of you are underestimating the North South divide :)

The OP is an insular Londoner (his idea of gong up North is a visit to Newcastle -and ignoring the many and varied areas in the north ) and it's another planet to them (in a nice way I'm a Londoner too and it was many years before I realized London isn't the be all and end all)

OP I'm guessing you work Monday to Friday so why not spend some weekends exploring other areas on lttle breaks. Parts of the South West are lovely -and you could afford a place for you AND a rental property for investment to bring in regular income and maybe sell later so it'd be like a pension. The fact you don't drive might limit some of your options so something to consider if moving out of London.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • My aim was to go to Poole as mentioned already , going for breaks next year to make sure it is right . Obviously , it is something I can't take lightly. However, some suggestions mentioned here are food for thought.
    ( keep 'em coming).
    I'm spoilt by public transport , and realise that if I did move I would find things different transport wise.
    I don't want to sound too pessimistic , but the future looks bleak unless I think ahead wisely as I can. Work , for example ; if I leave my current job ,my salary would decrease . I've looked around for some time.
    I prefer temping , so if I relocated for example and I e got my own hose in order so to speak , then that seems the way to go.
    Then there is my myasthenia , which I only got suddenly last year .
    Things are going in the right direction , but it's something that I have to keep an eye on.
    I don't fancy being a landlord . I let my brothers place out for him .
    The combination of my brother being mentally unstable , and 1 set of dodgy tenants have put me off. Also, I think the government are gonna make things less appealing in the future for buy to let .

I have thought about downsizing to a one bedroom, but in twickenham I'd still have a mortgage .
    Oh well
  • Things have got worse . Trying to clear overdraft ( see other thread).
    I spoke to Santander , hoping for either a payment holiday or changing my mortgage temporarily to interest only . The experience was terrible.
    I was hanging around on the phone for ages. When I got through, I was put on hold a few times. I was told that my house could be repossessed if I missed more than 2 payments and interest would be charged.my credit file would be affected also( I expect that, for about 2 years). So now, I'm putting one of my bass guitars up for sale . Frantically looking for other things to sell.
    What I may do ,( which could be suicidal) is to put flat on the market in January , put my stuff into storage and go on a break to Poole.
    Then rent for a while until I know what to do . I will be spending the next 2 or 3 weekends painting the flat. I stop/ started in May as I have not been well, but I know I must get on with it .
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,461
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    edited 1 November 2015 at 11:45AM
    We moved out of London to the West Country nearly 30 years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. However we did it as a family, me, OH and 2 young children and it was a job move for OH so he had a new job to go to and all moving expenses paid and sold a mediocre 3 bed house in the London area to a lovely 4 bed detached in a lovely Cornish town where we still live. It was still hard though leaving an area we had lived in all our lives and leaving friends and family behind and although OH had a job I did not but did find one fairly quickly once we moved.

I would say you should definitely look into the jobs situation before deciding where to live. You say you are not well qualified but obviously do have lots of experience. Do you think you will find it difficult to find work in a new area?

You could do as you suggest and sell up and move down to an area which you like and hopefully you already have a friend or two so you have some support but renting is expensive and could eat into your equity. You will find it impossible though to get a mortgage without a job so I don't think you have another option anyway. Why not look at going into a shared house for a while which is cheaper and could be a way of making new friends?

Please bear in mind though that moving house is stressful at the best of times so consider if the upheaval of this could make your medical condition worse? If you are stressing about money though anyway it could make you better if this solves your debt issues. Long term though will this make your debt problems go away?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure