IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Park Direct UK

124»

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    _mw_ wrote: »
    "They" are the parking company.

Yes, of course.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • _mw_
    _mw_ Posts: 16 Forumite
    Is it worth writing a letter to the gym (the assumed landowners) and asking them to serve me court papers for the 24 seconds of trespassing my car committed or, if they don't want to waste their time doing that, they can ask Park Direct to cease and desist? Or is this just fanning the flames?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Try it, no one knows how anyone reacts to a letter with 'court' mentioned in it. I'm sure it will grab their attention. Just be sure not to identify the driver.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    _mw_ wrote: »
    Is it worth writing a letter to the gym (the assumed landowners) and asking them to serve me court papers for the 24 seconds of trespassing my car committed or, if they don't want to waste their time doing that, they can ask Park Direct to cease and desist? Or is this just fanning the flames?

Yes and ask them why the entrance sign by the bin keeps disappearing. Or go in person on foot and get photos to show if there is an entrance sign right now...and pop in and have words with the Manager, telling them that their ex-clamper parking *firm* is putting your entire family off joining the gym because of this PPC's notoriously predatory tactics and horrendous lack of signs that can't possibly be read in seconds.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • _mw_
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Parking Charge Notice Number...

I have been advised by Park Direct UK that my car was in violation of parking conditions outside of your gym. This took place on ...

As you are no doubt aware, Uxbridge High Street is not accessible by car. Not being local, the driver was unaware of this. Therefore, in order to decide which alternative route to take, the car was on your land for a short period of time.

From the evidence which Park Direct have shown me, the car was on the property for a total of 1 minute and 24 seconds. I have also been informed that the company offers a 1 minute grace period. As my vehicle was unauthorised and on your land for 24 seconds more than the grace period, it is therefore a case of trespass.

You are well within your rights to take me to court. As I feel that a charge of £60 for 24 seconds of my car being on your land is unfair, this is the only recourse of which I can think, other than you instructing Park Direct to drop all charges.

Furthermore, I have also been advised by Park Direct that the photographs of my vehicle were taken by a parking attendant. From many forum posts online, I can also see that this is not an isolated incident and that your gym is quite often involved in matters such as this. I cannot help thinking that if you have a parking attendant on site, he/she should be discouraging drivers from spending unauthorised time on your land, rather than passively taking photographs of offending cars, which then implies that this is purely a money-making exercise.

I look forward to hearing your response as quickly as possible.

I've also copied in Park Direct themselves and BBC Watchdog, just because.
  • _mw_
    I've changed the wording slightly - have said that it could be seen as a case of trespass - don't want to be seen to be admitting that, rather alluding to the fact that they could argue that.

New letter below:

I have been advised by Park Direct UK that my car was in violation of parking conditions outside of your gym. This took place on ...

As you are no doubt aware, Uxbridge High Street is not accessible by car. Not being local, the driver was unaware of this. Therefore, in order to decide which alternative route to take, the car was on your land for a short period of time.

From the evidence which Park Direct have shown me, the car was on the property for a total of 1 minute and 24 seconds. I have also been informed that the company offers a 1 minute grace period in which a driver is meant to read the signage, realise that stopping or waiting is prohibited and then leave your land. The signage on your land is forbidding - it states that only authorised vehicles may park there. As my vehicle was unauthorised and on your land for 24 seconds more than the grace period, it could therefore be considered a case of trespass.

You are well within your rights to take me to court. As I feel that a charge of £60 for my car being on your land 24 seconds over the grace period is unfair, this is the only recourse of which I can think, other than you instructing Park Direct to drop all charges.

Furthermore, I have been advised by Park Direct that the photographs of my vehicle were taken by a parking attendant. From many forum posts online, I can also see that this is not an isolated incident and that your gym is quite often involved in matters such as this. I cannot help thinking that if you have a parking attendant on site, he/she should be discouraging drivers from spending unauthorised time on your land, rather than passively taking photographs of offending cars, which then implies that this is purely a money-making exercise.

I look forward to hearing your response as quickly as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure