Walk 1000 miles

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    I have walked 415km from March to now

Its about time you headed back home then!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Can I join in?
    I have only been walking as a gentle exercise until recently but I am a bit more serious about it now in an effort to help lose some weight, I have got myself a GPS watch to keep track of the miles and I will be looking to join a walking group as soon as I can find a local one so that I can get some company when out on longer walks.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I started this challenge on January 1st, and I'm on 518 miles today. I have a two and three mile route around my village and aim to do three miles every day, which means I can have odd days off.

1000 miles is 83 miles a month, or 2.73 miles a day so it's easily achievable with a little bit of commitment. At a fast pace I do my three miles in 50 minutes, easy to build it into a daily routine.

I use a web site for working out my routes and mileage.
    https://www.bikehike.co.uk Small electronic gadgets are not always accurate. I set time aside to do my walks, though someone in a job that entails a lot of walking might want to count that in the challenge. My postman tells me that he walks 13 miles a day.

I have a lot of blog readers signed up to this challenge, they send me their monthly mileage and I update the walking group page.

Anything that gets people off their bums and walking has to be a good thing. Best of luck everyone, stick with it, I feel great since I started.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    I joined Fitbug in 2008 if my memory is working and ever since then I have had a pedometer in my jeans pocket! Omron's work tucked in your bra as well:D.

I try for 10,000 steps every day, which easily means that I will walk over a 1000 miles in a year - having dogs helps!

When I first started at Fitbug a guy challenged himself to do a million steps a month:eek: and did it, which is about 32-33, 000 steps a day. 3 miles for me is about 6500 steps, so that would equate to about 15 miles a day. Doable if you have the time and if you continued all year, 5475 miles - I feel tired!
  • Wizard_of_Id
    I have no record of how far I walked during the first half of the year and I could only guess at an average of 2 miles/day.
    My target will be 500 miles by December 31 and I will update my signature every Friday (if I remember)

I had a 10 mile walk last weekend but forgot to take my GPS watch with me so as a punishment I am not including those miles in my total :o
  • mikebusano
    mikebusano Posts: 14 Forumite
    never read that magazine, care to share how you were motivated walking 1000 mi by their article?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I tend to average 50-70 miles a week so 1000 for me would easily be achievable within 20 weeks. Which means you only need to walk about 20 miles a week to do it in a year. Or 3 miles per day which is basically a 20 minute walk per day :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Or 3 miles per day which is basically a 20 minute walk per day :D

I dispute that. The average person walks three miles an hour. I walk from my house at a fast pace on a measured three mile route and I complete it in 50 minutes. I time myself each time I go out. It can't be done in 20 minutes without running.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Or 3 miles per day which is basically a 20 minute walk per day :D
    I cant believe that you walk at 9 miles per hour somehow.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    I dispute that. The average person walks three miles an hour. I walk from my house at a fast pace on a measured three mile route and I complete it in 50 minutes. I time myself each time I go out. It can't be done in 20 minutes without running.
    Ilona
    I cant believe that you walk at 9 miles per hour somehow.

No! Sorry, I meant approx an hour based on a 20 min mile. Oops :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport