The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

d.l.a. query

Hi,
I'm new here - so please bare with me. I recieve IS with a disability top up as i was signed off work 2 years ago with a heart condition. I also recieve HB and CT benifits. Recently i have just come out off hospital after having my great left toe amputated with a part of the metertasal too. Also i have a condition called charcots foot (well its in my ankle - basically my ankle has collapsed - which has resulted with severly restricted movement and all kinds off ligament damage too) .. The last 2 were bought on by me being an insulin dependant diabetic (hey just call me lucky!)
Im under various departments at the hospital - and i've been told that my walking will be greatly reduced and that at the very least i will require a walking stick. Walking anything more than 25 yards at anyone time will prove virtually impossible.
What i want to know is if i will be able to claim any other benifits such as D.L.A. etc - also will i be entitled to a blue disabled badge?
I'm not trying to take the system for a ride - but since this ankle and foot problem has arisen my life and what i can actually do has changed dramaticaly. (ok in the grand scheme off things and what ive read off others this all seems like nothing and i apologise)
Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Before they give you a blue badge they will write to your doctor so make sure he is willing to back you up or you won’t get one.
    Also tell him you are applying for DLA and he will be in the picture when the DLA forms come to his surgery.
    Mobility is given to people who have trouble walking and to those that find it hard to walk more than a certain number of steps before the onset of severe discomfort.
    If walking causes you severe discomfort you should be entitled to DLA, You should get DLA because of your heart condition.
    Just tell the doctor about the badge and applying for DLA and he should be able to get you the blue badge and recommend that you get DLA.
    I'm not poor i'm just skint
  • I would guess you will have the full support of your doctor in obtaining a blue badge. However, some councils are getting a bit 'iffy' about awarding them, so if you are refused one get your local councillor to appeal the decision with you. Councillors are pretty successful at this. Good luck.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    You should put in claim for DLA.
    There are two levels of mobility & three for care.
    from what you say there should be no prob in getting mob high rate.
    You get DLA not because of what you have but HOW it affects your daily life.
    You are under 65 I take it?
    Good luck. (it may help you to get local CAB to assist with completion of forms)
    Lou
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Also meant to say if you are awarded high rate mob DLA you will automatically get a blue badge.You can also apply through your local council
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Hi Big Sam,

You should definately claim DLA, my OH is an insulin dependant diabetic too and has been receiving the mobility higher rate of DLA for 10 years, he hasn't got charcot foot but he does have nerve damage and gets severe pain in his legs. Sadly 2 years ago he got a small cut on his foot which got infected and he ended up having a below knee amputation, since then he has also received the care component of DLA. My OH's brother had charcot foot and the associated mobility problems and he got DLA.

In order to claim DLA you need to have had the illness or disability for 3 months and be expected to need help for at least 6 months. When you fill the forms in remember to say what it is like on your worst day, don't try and put a brave face on things.

Hubby also has a blue badge, he never bothered to claim it until he had his leg amputated but he could have had it for the last 10 years. We had no trouble claiming the badge, just a simple form and they didn't contact his doctor but I think that's because he gets the higher rate of DLA.

There's more details about DLA and who can claim it here:
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/disability_liv_allowance.asp
    Dum Spiro Spero
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills