PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Interesting to hear about photos, I really should do mine, loads in there of folk who have passed on and my children have never met, mostly of people we used to call auntie and uncle but weren't relatives.

I've taken photos of a lovely old oak sideboard I don't need any more and have posted an ad on gumtree, it's only taken since the beginning of December to do this - don't like to rush things! Don't really know why it has taken so long, it took all of 10 minutes. Just hope someone wants to buy it now, if not I will put it on freegle.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did start my photos so feel for people doing this category. I still remember sat in the yard with hot chocolate and just burning the photos. The ones from pre digital times when you took two of the same thing just in case one didn't quite catch the moment. There were also lots of landscapes that due to me working all over I had no idea where it was!

All week I have been looking forward to tomorrow as I had a later start, I had come home from work and thought 'chill' as we have all been on the go for the last week and will be until next weekend. Anything not important I can do after the school run. However work rang to see if I could cover so am now inwardly groaning for chilling but the money will be so useful,
    Go get it!
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    [/COLOR]Honestly, I'd advise interviewing the uncle with typical "oral history questions", this sort of thing: http://oralhistory.library.ucla.edu/familyHistory.html. It's the things we take for granted, that have often changed so much, that are really interesting.

I'm hoping to visit him in the near future, I have taken photos over before with me and have had some help. One of his daughters had done some investigation of her family tree, and I was able to point out that some of the details she had were incorrect.

Write down your own memories too. I know that sounds weird, but I did that exercise last year with my (younger) sister, about her late husband's family, she knew a lot more than she thought she did.

That's a good idea. That shouldn't be too difficult as I have already written a few autobiographical pieces for pleasure.

Keep trying to find other researchers online who share your tree - we've received help, and given lots too. I had a great great grandfather who ended up living in New York as widower, while half his children were still in this country, and through online trees and forums etc we found a distant cousin in New Jersey, a writer, whose sons had found all sorts of stuff in the New York census and pension records, it was amazing.

HTH and good luck!

Yes, I should try to do that again. Didn't have much luck last time but did make a couple of contacts and got a little information about a couple of ancestors on the fringes of my tree.
    kittie wrote: »
    This about photos is tremendously interesting, seems that it is hard for everyone, in different ways. I was from the slides era and I remember dh using a plug in device to scan the slides. I made books via a company called blurb, the results were superb and it is so nice to see the younger generation buying my family photo history books. If they ever send me any profit, once they have processed my husbands passing, then it will go to air ambulance, which is a true life saver in my part of the world

I'm sure my friend used blurb. He made a lovely book for about £25. I contacted him today and he is going to visit next week with his lightbox so I can check out the slides.
    Interesting to hear about photos, I really should do mine, loads in there of folk who have passed on and my children have never met, mostly of people we used to call auntie and uncle but weren't relatives.

I've photos of two people who I called auntie and uncle. They had two girls who were similar ages to me and I have lots of photos of them and me, though we lost touch ages ago.

I'm disappointed with myself that I haven't done any work on the photos today. One good thing though is that my eldest daughter has said she'd like to have any photos of her that I don't need. She mentioned a set of photos I took of her several years ago and I knew which ones she meant immediately - now do I let her have those ones...they are lovely. At this rate, I'll be making copies not getting rid of photos, lol.

tibawo,

I know what you mean about two copies of the same photos. I have the same thing.

My photographer friend has no problem with deleting photos from his digital camera but looks at me in horror if I want to throw away a physical photo. I won't mention to him that some will be disposed of! I think the shredder will get a lot of use. I've still got paper to shred from doing that category.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,896 Forumite
    Youngest dd put her foot through her fitted sheet! Hurray! Gleefully washed and consigned to ragbag! This sheet only fitted her mattress, none of the others. One more fitted sheet to go, and if she is then also dry at night (she's five and still occasionally has accidents) we will buy a new mattress that actually fits the bedframe. The one she has now comes from my old single bed, and lacks 10cm on the side to fill the frame.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 9 March 2017 at 1:02PM
    Think I'm a good while off photos. Most of mine are rubbish, taken with a 'not too good camera'. My brother and I were both given 2nd hand cameras from my nan. We nearly wrestled each other to to ground to get the half decent one, a Brownie, much to my Nans annoyance and Mum's embarrassment. I ended up with one that you held at waist level and looked down into. As a kid I was too embarrassed to use it, as it was so old fashioned and other kids would point (probably me being a bit too over sensitive).

Just got bedding to do on the clothes front. I will try to get that done tonight, or maybe tomorrow. Note to self - get bin bags to put Kondoed stuff into, it's in a pile on the floor. What a beautiful day it is here, off to meet a friend and catch some sun.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    So pleased that my car boot job lot has a bid on ... I presume they will collect it. It means another pile of outgrown bits, Justin's and unused bargains. The outgrown bits I am actually proud of myself for shifting as in a previous life I would hang on to everything for my own car boot but once I factor in time, Cost of stall etc and the fact it ALL goes I am happy.

I am back to random kding at the moment purely as I only have small pockets of time spare. I am starting to ponder of what I will do with all my new spare time when I am through with things.
    Go get it!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2017 at 6:53PM
    :) Afternoon all.

The CD player from Nan's which I took in last October (my existing one being on its way out, I thought it worth keeping for Justin) has just come out of the pillowcase where it was lurking on a shelf as the other one has just karked it. Not a fuse, the CD part will only work about one attempt in ten, and as that's what I use the stereo for, it's becoming very irritating.

Sooo, one in a few months ago and one out, soon. Bygorry, I'd only had that 18 years, they just don't make things to last anymore, hey?

Other than that, norralot is going on kondo-wise but I am pootling away with the dark arts of domesticity (am about to go under the stove, egads!) and not accruing any more Stuff.

Siebrie, Mum told me gleefully about a fortnight ago that Dad had put his foot through one of their old bedsheets, so she was also pleased to wash & rag. Honourable using up of stuff feels good.

Been to library and returned two books and have only got one out, so feeling pretty virtuous by my standards.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Did a mini kondo to the cs today, just yak traks and a skirt, went in, came out quick. Now have an empty rebounder on the landing, last item, a dress, has been uplifted and was very glad that I actually did the hard work ages ago, ie raised the hem to foot level allowing for body bumps. Up another five inches this morning and so much better too.

Kondo is all about enjoying the fruits of our work too, I dressed in a skirt and knee highs today for the hairdressers and felt so good, albeit yes I still look my age but then I am my age and have no need to look like a spring chicken, well I think I look a bit younger tbh, my skin is still unlined but don`t look at my neck ;)

Kondo benefits continued when I arrived back. Went on a normal cycle, loop the loop around the village. Got home, sun was blazing and I wanted to be out longer so got my, unused for three years, electric bike out, kondo involved cleaning a few weeks ago and prepping for use. Wow it behaved beautifully, rode away in the countryside and along an empty canal path and back up several hilly hills. Thank you MK, if that that bike had not been done then I would not have been out so long today. Huge MK benefits to be had and not just in the house :D:D
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    Well, that's the sideboard gone. After months of thinking about it I had the photos taken, put the advert on and it was away within 24 hours. Feeling rather pleased with myself!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 March 2017 at 9:26AM
    Well, that's the sideboard gone. After months of thinking about it I had the photos taken, put the advert on and it was away within 24 hours. Feeling rather pleased with myself!
    :j Oh well done!

How gratifying to get rid of something so large, so quickly. Bags of Stuff and boxes of Stuff are great to shift but you can't beat de-furnituring for suddenly seeing some fresh air and space.

ETA; for my own amusement, as I was clearing out the manual and receipt for the stereo which has just (mostly) died on me from my warranties folder, I counted the weeks I'd owned it - 928 weeks - and the cost-per-week which was a measly 13p. Pretty good value for money and, apart from putting new batteries into the remote control every few years, it cost me zilch in on-costs. Pretty pleased about that, will be sad to see it go as I liked it and still find it aesthetically-pleasing.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills