Wedding Invites & Gifts, the quagmire

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My plan is to create a wish list on Amazon or similar which has a range from physical gifts, to charitable causes, to money for our honeymoon. I'll then give the details to close family who might be asked, so they can pass it on as appropriate.

I know that some people prefer to give physical gifts over cash, but I don't want to risk ending up with a load of pretty vases that we can't use because the cats would eat the flowers/smash the vase. :rotfl:

I don't intend to add anything at all to the invite about it. We may or may not do a wedding website with all the info such as local accommodation, directions, menu etc. They aren't really a thing over here and I'd have to work out how much info there actually is to provide to see whether it's worth doing.
  • firebird082
    firebird082 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DD265 wrote: »
    I'll then give the details to close family who might be asked, so they can pass it on as appropriate.

I don't intend to add anything at all to the invite about it. We may or may not do a wedding website with all the info such as local accommodation, directions, menu etc.

This is pretty much what we did - anyone who actually *asked* about presents, we said 'if you would like to give something, then x and y would be really useful as we're doing the house up'. No mention on the invite, but I did add it on the FAQ page of the website (linked from the invitations, because the wedding was multiple venue, and we wanted to add addititional useful information for those coming). Worked a treat - we got quite a lot of what we asked for, plus a number of other very well-thought through physical presents, which were very much appreciated. But most of all we have the memories of spending the time with those people.
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    Funnily enough, I was talking to my mum about this last night.

A cousin was having her engagement party last night and an aunt said she'd just bought a cheap bottle of prosecco as the cousin wouldnt appreciate a gift that would have cost £5.

My exact words to my mum were that this is a worry if OH and I ever get married. We had a house each, so we've already downsized as much as we could (which really stuck in my craw as I hate waste - we gave away as much as we could, but had to dump so much stuff :( ) and still have a loft full to the brim of stuff. And neither of us are drinkers - we recently had to throw out a crate of beers that were so far out of date that they were flat and off. While I really appreciate the thought that goes into presents, we genuinely don't have the room for anything. And I don't want money, as long as people come and enjoy the day.

But, having read this thread, I don't want to seem rude! :undecided

I think I would have to go along the lines of that used by Chris n tj.
  • bellaboo86
    bellaboo86 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Whatever you do, please don't do what friends of mine did. They asked for cash and put bank account and sort code information on invite.
    Not so much as a thank you after the event.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    bellaboo86 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, please don't do what friends of mine did. They asked for cash and put bank account and sort code information on invite.
    Not so much as a thank you after the event.
    Now this ^^^^ is - imho - rude.
    Not to mention incredibly stupid to share financial information with other people.
    sweetbabu wrote: »

But, having read this thread, I don't want to seem rude! :undecided

I think I would have to go along the lines of that used by Chris n tj.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2017 at 10:29PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Not to mention incredibly stupid to share financial information with other people.

If people are giving me me money they are welcome to my sort code and account number :rotfl::rotfl: .... On a serious note its no more information than whats written on a cheque
  • Sjc1973
    Sjc1973 Posts: 84 Forumite
    I really don't like presumptious wedding invitations with their specified wedding lists and money requests. I am far more genenorous and/or thoughtful when you don't give me your wedding gift expectations! If I attend your weddings it is because I generally like/care about you so I am going to take the time to research what you might want/need and if I summise that is cash then so be it!
  • Pollycat
    svain wrote: »
    If people are giving me me money they are welcome to my sort code and account number :rotfl::rotfl: .... On a serious note its no more information than whats written on a cheque
    Errr......what's a cheque? :rotfl:
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Well that's one way to put it! :eek:

I really do think weddings bring out the worst in people. I'd elope, if I had the deciding vote :)
  • Pollycat
    ognum wrote: »
    A friends daughter organised their independent honeymoon travelling around Japan. They were going anyway.

She then broke down each element into a list, a meal at a restaurant, a boat trip, a sightseeing bus ride, a hotel night etc with a cost and a date. There were multiple items at Avery carried cost. She set up a website with pictures, costs etc.

Grifters could choose the which item they would like to give. The lovely things was that the couple who are keen photographers sent individual thank you cards after the honeymoon which included pictures of them with what you have given eg at the hotel, eating the meal etc.

I think it was a lot of work for them but they are a lovely quirky couple and even though I really hate wedding lists it really worked.

They were of course going anyway.

Now this ^^^^ is a fab way of asking for money towards the honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure