newbie needs advice

Hi All,
I have just discovered this forum by chance and i thought i was the only one with problems :o
Can someone advise me if possible ....
I have had debt problems for three years now owing a total of £50,000 + to around 15 creditors .. they keep chasing and hounding me with all sorts of threats . Ok i can live with that, but the main problem comes now that i have met a lovely woman who owns the house i rent a room from.
I was thinking of going bankrupt , i have no assests whatsoever , the car i drive belongs to her (registered in my name ) but she is legal owner on the document.
We want to get married but i am scared that if we do some of her assets may become mine although my debt has nothing to do with her . Can they take her assets from her if i go bankrupt ?
I am employed and take home £330 weekly and also pay csa for my two kids.. i guess i have about £50 per week left for myself after all deductions aare taken away .
Many thanks from a grateful debtor ...... :o:o:o

Comments

• If you go bankrupt prior to marriage it would be a lot less complicated for you and the bankruptcy would be fairly straightforward.

You don't need to tell the OR that you are in a relationship with your landlady!

Going bankrupt after marriage complicates things slightly in that you then have beneficial interest in the house, although it doesn't involve your new wife in the bankruptcy anyway.

Your new wife's assets do not become yours and the OR will have no interest in them.

Best thing to do is to go bankrupt asap and get it over and done with!
  • If you go bankrupt prior to marriage it would be a lot less complicated for you and the bankruptcy would be fairly straightforward.

You don't need to tell the OR that you are in a relationship with your landlady!

Going bankrupt after marriage complicates things slightly in that you then have beneficial interest in the house, although it doesn't involve your new wife in the bankruptcy anyway.

Your new wife's assets do not become yours and the OR will have no interest in them.

Best thing to do is to go bankrupt asap and get it over and done with!

Many thanks for advice .. just find it frightening the thought of standing up in court ...
    once again ........... thanks
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    The standing up in court is daunting, but they ae terribly nice with you. They only hit me 4 times.

If you are sure it is what you want, Bankruptcy, then you really should do it before you get arried.

here is a laymans terms site of what to extect, hope it helps.

http://www.piggybankrupt.co.uk/

Mikey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family