Civil Service Redundancy

My husband has 20 years of service in the civil service and has been a member of LGPS all of his civil service career.

Under the LGPS how many weeks or months pay would he be entitled to if he took voluntary redundancy? Also how many weeks or months pay would he be entitled for compulsory redundancy?

He had heard something about redundancy being limited to 9 weeks or months but thinks that could be for new starters.

Would be grateful if someone could give me a rough guide/ready reckoner.

Thanks

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 9:21PM
    If he's a civil servant, then he will be in the civil service pension scheme, not the LGPS (which is for local authority employees).

Also, pension scheme rules will only come into play if your husband is old enough to be able to access his pension straight away - if he's too young for that, then his pension benefits will be deferred.

Redundancy payments are nothing to do with pension fund membership - just salary and length of service.

Can you clarify?
  • silentotter
    silentotter Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    longer serving staff in the civil service depart he works for where given the option to either stay in the LGPS or transfer to the new civil service pension plan. New staff had to join the civil service pension plan. Your assumption was incorrect there.

We are also aware he is to young to get his pension. Also aware that pension is a totally different thing to redundancy.

You seem to have totally misunderstood my question and point.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    My husband has 20 years of service in the civil service and has been a member of LGPS all of his civil service career.

Under the LGPS how many weeks or months pay would he be entitled to if he took voluntary redundancy? Also how many weeks or months pay would he be entitled for compulsory redundancy?

He had heard something about redundancy being limited to 9 weeks or months but thinks that could be for new starters.

Would be grateful if someone could give me a rough guide/ready reckoner.

Thanks

Redundancy calculator
    http://www.mylgpspension.co.uk/en/member-information/member-information/active-member/redundancy-calculator
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    longer serving staff in the civil service depart he works for where given the option to either stay in the LGPS or transfer to the new civil service pension plan. New staff had to join the civil service pension plan. Your assumption was incorrect there.

i have been in the civil service for over 40 years - we have never been in LGPS.
    Did he transfer over from the local authority ?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 June 2017 at 9:21PM
    We are also aware he is to young to get his pension. Also aware that pension is a totally different thing to redundancy.

You seem to have totally misunderstood my question and point.
    Not at all - you asked how much redundancy your husband would receive as a LGPS (Local Government Pension Scheme) member. I merely pointed out that unless he is old enough to access his pension (seems that he isn't) then any redundancy payment will be made by his employer and that his membership of the LGPS is irrelevant.

Antrobus's link is new - but I suspect that Capita have loaded it as a curtesy to their members who have not yet reached pensionable age. Redundancy payments are paid by the employer, not the LGPS, and also apply to non-LGPS members. Before using it, I'd check to see if he is being made redundant under civil service terms rather than Local Authority, as the payments may differ.
  • debtisnotme
    debtisnotme Posts: 111 Forumite
    ceecee1 wrote: »
    i have been in the civil service for over 40 years - we have never been in LGPS.
    Did he transfer over from the local authority ?
    Agreed, probably getting mixed up between classic scheme and newer schemes.
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
    Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business